Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The WF I-Sold-A-Story/Poem Thread (1 Viewer)

Gavrushka

WF Veterans
There is no just about it!! :)

I think I understand how you feel, and imagine it is like all the energy you poured into that story exploded around you on reading that email. You've taken your first huge step into the future.

Just* remember us lesser mortals when you're doing the chat show circuit. :p

*Three lines, two justs, one concerned Gavrushka.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I've officially stepped onto the court. I'm still on the sidelines, waiting to get chosen by a team captain, but at least I'm off the bleachers. :D (Corny analogy, I know. But it's late and I'm tired. :p)

It's like buying the lotto ticket - if your not in you can't win! :)

Alanzie

So, I wrote a story 30 years ago. Sent it to a few places, got a few personal replies, got immaturely disillusioned and stuck it in my sock drawer. Life moved on. My dream of being an author put on hold, life taking precedence. Wife, house, 3 kids, 2 cars, career, etc., etc., etc. Fast forward 2012. My eldest, 27 year old English major, finds said manuscript (I think he needed clean socks). He reads it. Suggests I clean it up, brush it off and send it out into the big bad world.

I get an email from the very first place I sent it to, Dark Moon Books. A wonderful editor there decided to put my story, Norman Rockwell is Dead in the print version of their quarterly anthology, Dark Moon Digest, Issue #10.

So now, here I am at WF, trying to prove to myself that what I wrote 30 years ago wasn't a fluke.

lasm

WF Veterans
So, I wrote a story 30 years ago. Sent it to a few places, got a few personal replies, got immaturely disillusioned and stuck it in my sock drawer. Life moved on. My dream of being an author put on hold, life taking precedence. Wife, house, 3 kids, 2 cars, career, etc., etc., etc. Fast forward 2012. My eldest, 27 year old English major, finds said manuscript (I think he needed clean socks). He reads it. Suggests I clean it up, brush it off and send it out into the big bad world.

I get an email from the very first place I sent it to, Dark Moon Books. A wonderful editor there decided to put my story, Norman Rockwell is Dead in the print version of their quarterly anthology, Dark Moon Digest, Issue #10.

So now, here I am at WF, trying to prove to myself that what I wrote 30 years ago wasn't a fluke.
Congratulations, Alanzie! That's so cool. Hope your other works get such warm receptions. :)

Caragula

Just came across this and ppsage's story. Amazing, beautifully distinctive narrator's voice. Thoroughly enjoyed that piece.

N J Xkey

I've had four short pieces published by online mags/story sites in the last couple of months, but have just last week had my first acceptance from a paying market! Not a king's ransom of course, but in all honesty I'm over the moon because I feel I've broken through a barrier to my confidence. Someone, somewhere liked my story enough to pay for it, and that means the world to me! Plus it gives me the kick up the bum I need to stop erring on the side of caution by only submitting to non-paying markets (which is what I had been doing until now).

The story is called Dearly Departed, and has been accepted by Page and Spine. Don't know publication date yet but I'll link it when it's up (if that's permissible?)
Huge thanks to members of the beta readers group on this forum (you know who you are ;) ) who have helped and supported me with my shorts, and continue to help with my novel.

J.T. Chris

WF Veterans
I love these sorts of threads. They always make me feel more confident about the state of the market when I see the success of other writers!

As for myself, I just sold a story to Every Day Fiction, which is a huge deal for me because I've been rejected by them so much that I made it a personal goal of mine to have a story published there before I die. It will be out on June 28th!

Users who are viewing this thread