Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The WF I-Sold-A-Story/Poem Thread (1 Viewer)

lasm

WF Veterans
well christ. i've only completed 8 stories and i've already been a "prima donna" once. i worried about what cran mentioned, too.
but oh well. i didn't want my name attached to that hatchet job they did on it. i won't make a habit of it, though.
Oh, I don't think it's being a primadonna to refuse if an editor really hacks up your stuff to the point where you don't like it. That sounds very different. These are just a couple small wording changes I'm making myself.

Leyline

Honoured/Sadly Missed
WF Veterans
I really don't think you'd get a reputation for difficulty if you politely turn down a rewrite request. I've read accounts of many writers who do so -- Robert Reed, Tim Pratt, and Elizabeth Hand just off the top of my head. But, note emphasis. :p

dale

I really don't think you'd get a reputation for difficulty if you politely turn down a rewrite request. I've read accounts of many writers who do so -- Robert Reed, Tim Pratt, and Elizabeth Hand just off the top of my head. But, note emphasis. :p
i was real polite about it. and the publisher didn't ask me for a rewrite. the editor slashed my story so bad it was barely recognizable.
i hated not signing the contract because it was a ok small press with a decent royalty percentage for a short story but it was too much of a hack job.
it was like it wasn't even my writing anymore. i was like....ummmmmmmmmm, no.

Cran

Da Boss Emeritus
Patron
i was real polite about it. and the publisher didn't ask me for a rewrite. the editor slashed my story so bad it was barely recognizable.
i hated not signing the contract because it was a ok small press with a decent royalty percentage for a short story but it was too much of a hack job.
it was like it wasn't even my writing anymore. i was like....ummmmmmmmmm, no.
Ah well, that's a very different situation. I had the same happen to me over a science article. I told the editor to remove my name from the hack job, and to keep the money; what was published was not my work.

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
I just received a really nice message from Fiction365 saying they'd be "more than happy" to publish my story, "The Smell," which I workshopped and developed here with the help of WF. They will be paying me money for something I created, which absolutely blows my mind. Big thanks to this place, as this is something I never expected.

Real money! Not a fortune, but real currency. For my words.

I have a long way to go, in terms of learning and creating better material, but I'd be lying if I said this wasn't an absolute thrill.

Cran

Da Boss Emeritus
Patron
I just received a really nice message from Fiction365 saying they'd be "more than happy" to publish my story, "The Smell," which I workshopped and developed here with the help of WF. They will be paying me money for something I created, which absolutely blows my mind. Big thanks to this place, as this is something I never expected.

Real money! Not a fortune, but real currency. For my words.

I have a long way to go, in terms of learning and creating better material, but I'd be lying if I said this wasn't an absolute thrill.
That's the way it always starts - just a taste; that can't hurt, right? But then you get another taste, and another ... pretty soon, you're hooked and you can't wait for the next one. You've turned into a ... writer!

lasm

WF Veterans
Wondered about that. Read the submissions page and saw Orson Scott Card's name and was like, eh . . .
dramatic re-enactment:
Oh who'd I send that poem to? Oh they liked it yay! :D stupid vines on the website but whatever... tell everyone! :D
So this Orson person... he wrote that Bender's Boom thing, right? what was that, hmm, let's find out :shock: waitwaitWAIT.

Leyline

Honoured/Sadly Missed
WF Veterans
dramatic re-enactment:
Oh who'd I send that poem to? Oh they liked it yay! :D stupid vines on the website but whatever... tell everyone! :D
So this Orson person... he wrote that Bender's Boom thing, right? what was that, hmm, let's find out :shock: waitwaitWAIT.

LOL

Understandable, but if I seriously marked off every market ran by people I vehemently disagreed with politically, I'd literally have no markets to submit to. :p

lasm

WF Veterans
yeah, see, if it were cool but I disagreed, okay, but if I disagree and it's got stupid vines on the website, well... there's this icky frisson of Wholesome and I just... no. ;)

asimpson86

Thanks to this actual thread I sold my story 'A MOTHER'S EMBRACE' to fiction365 last week. I'm delighted as it was the very first story I ever attempted, and it took me just five weeks to accomplish this goal. They were extremely complimentary in their acceptance email, describing it as well-written, tight, and evocotive. It's made me more determined than ever to make a success of this writing malarky.

VinrAlfakyn

I've sold a collection of short stories to Pro Se Productions! Over the last few months I've actually had three other stories accepted as well, all in different anthologies. The good news just keeps pouring in!

Leyline

Honoured/Sadly Missed
WF Veterans
I've sold a collection of short stories to Pro Se Productions! Over the last few months I've actually had three other stories accepted as well, all in different anthologies. The good news just keeps pouring in!

YAY!! Congrats!

It seems you people don't know how to do the happy dance here, so I'll teach you.

You put your left foot in,
you take your left foot out,
then you forget about all that crap, take your check, pay a bill or buy some food or even just some goofy thing you may not have wanted to splurge on before like a bottle of cheap wine or a pack of socks or what-the-heck-ever and then you're happy! And all the nay-Sayers gather around and say "Oh, it's only $10" or "It's only $5." And you continue dancing and you say "Well, 10 bucks is part of my electric bill, and so is $5 bucks. It's part of any bill. It might just be a little extra money in my pocket to make me feel safer so that I can catch a bus or just buy a cold drink on a hot day." Then you stand up and you roar crazily until they are cowering, then you stop and say: "And it's from something I did because I loved doing it." Then you smile sweetly at them and wander away whistling.

See! Simple! :)

Last edited:

VinrAlfakyn

Leyline, I couldn't have said it better myself! Even $5 for something I've created is better than not trying at all.

J Anfinson

Retired Supervisor
It's not a paying site, but I got a horror short published on microhorror.com earlier this month. One small step for J.

Kyle R

WF Veterans
Tonight I did a happy dance for submitting. My first ever submission, and to a professional market, too!

I toiled over the cover letter (turns out I didn't need one), fretted over the formatting (turns out they reformat it anyways). I chewed my nails as I clicked the "submit" button. I checked my email soon after and I received this acknowledgement (I've #'d out the names):

Kyle,

Your story entitled "Bridging The Void" was submitted to ####### on Oct 23, 2013. Your story will be reviewed as soon as possible, but please allow up to three weeks for a reply. Thanks for your patience, and we'll be in touch!

- ########, #######

I know it's just an automated response, but I was still ecstatic to read it. To know that someone in the professional field will be reading my words is an incredible feeling.

It's especially significant as I've spent several months working on this story. Trials along the way, including losing a finished draft and having to start all over again from scratch. Months later, here I am.

I've officially stepped onto the court. I'm still on the sidelines, waiting to get chosen by a team captain, but at least I'm off the bleachers. :D (Corny analogy, I know. But it's late and I'm tired. :p)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread