Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The WF I-Sold-A-Story/Poem Thread (3 Viewers)

Leyline

Honoured/Sadly Missed
WF Veterans
I'll dance first.

I sold my story 'Kin' to Fiction365. Woohoo! It's five years old and has been rejected by twenty markets, but I knew it was a good one and didn't give up. So there's a lesson there! :)

I also received the most flattering acceptance yet:

Hi George:

We almost never accept zombie apocalypse stories: the vast majority submitted to us are all about the killing, and have neither dynamic characters nor original take.

"Kin," on the other hand? Oh hell yes. We'll be proud to publish it. And we're grateful to you for redeeming our faith in the genre.

*Happydance!*

Jon M

WF Veterans
Sold two poems, five stories since beginning to sub last August.

Congratulations, George, that is great news. F365 tends to only give me one-liners ("This is great"; "Yeah, we really like this"; etc.), so you must have done something right.

Congratulations, also, Lia. :)

Jamie

I'll dance first.

I sold my story 'Kin' to Fiction365. Woohoo! It's five years old and has been rejected by twenty markets, but I knew it was a good one and didn't give up. So there's a lesson there! :)

I also received the most flattering acceptance yet:

Hi George:

We almost never accept zombie apocalypse stories: the vast majority submitted to us are all about the killing, and have neither dynamic characters nor original take.

"Kin," on the other hand? Oh hell yes. We'll be proud to publish it. And we're grateful to you for redeeming our faith in the genre.

*Happydance!*

Awesome news, Leyline. I've never submitted anything anywhere, and wouldn't know where to look. Any tips?

Leyline

Honoured/Sadly Missed
WF Veterans
Awesome news, Leyline. I've never submitted anything anywhere, and wouldn't know where to look. Any tips?

Ack! Sorry for the lateness of this reply, Jamie. Somehow missed your post until just now.

Not sure how great my advice might be -- I don't have a fantastic hit rate or anything. But here goes:

Follow their guidelines as exactly as possible, especially if it's a paying market. Even markets that pay small sums have high submission rates and slush readers (the first sentries on the road to the gate) will often look for reasons to discard a story unread because they have 40 more to get through that day. Slush readers are most likely unpaid volunteers, remember.

Try and get a feel for the 'zine you're submitting to. A lot of rejections are simply because you sent the wrong story to a venue. That said, don't be too beholden to superficial or overarching descriptions, even by the 'zine itself. My first sale was to an ostensibly Christian spec-fic ezine, despite the fact that it had nothing to do with Christianity, and even a slight pantheistic feel. The editor responded to it because the values it expressed (responsibility, love of family, good deeds being their own reward) matched what he considered to be Christian values.

Learn to accept rejection as just another market to take off from the list for that particular story. Also learn to appreciate even the smallest personal comment: those almost always mean that the editor appreciated your story enough to explain -- no matter how briefly -- why it was being rejected.

And most importantly: do not give up. 'Kin' is five years old and was rejected by over 20 markets, yet almost every one of them were personal rejections. A few even suggested possible better-suited markets (which is a huge compliment). Mostly, trust your gut. If you know it's a good story, have faith in it. A rejection just means you haven't found the right home yet.

Hope that helps in some way! :)

Best,
-G.

lasm

WF Veterans
All right, not sure if this will make me happy or a traitor to my Art, but I will have sold a story on the condition that I replace my precious swears with something less offensive. I think the story is better with the swear--even the editor says she thinks so, but their standards are their standards, which is understandable.

I'm inclined to bend, as it's a paying market and it would be nice to be accepted. Two I can scrub easily enough. One is harder but I think I can replace it with a lighter swear while retaining 85% of sentence impact, 60% with no swear at all (these numbers were scientifically obtained, of course).

Is there a good reason not to do it?

Last edited:

lasm

WF Veterans
Yeah, that's the place. It's really not gonna ruin the story, so despite the one sentence I think is kinda lessened, I don't feel too dirty or compromised or anything.

As a hater of mustard, probably I should not have been throwing stones in the first place.

Thanks! :)

Leyline

Honoured/Sadly Missed
WF Veterans
Congrats lasm! What story if you don't mind? :)

And happy, of course. Rewrite requests are par for the course, every writer gets them some time or another. As long as they aren't trying to make you fundamentally alter the story itself, I don't think it's a big deal.

Cran

Da Boss Emeritus
Patron
Is there a good reason not to do it?
Not unless:
1. You'd rather starve; or
2. You want a reputation among publishers that you are difficult to deal with.

Reasons to do it:
1. Getting published is sort of a goal of being a writer; and
2. You can always publish the original version later; and
3. The money.

lasm

WF Veterans
Jon M said:
Which, by the way, recently found a home in the same le Journal yours did. :smile:
Congratulations, that's great! I've found I like almost everything they put up, I think it's a cool spot.

Congrats lasm! What story if you don't mind? :)

And happy, of course. Rewrite requests are par for the course, every writer gets them some time or another. As long as they aren't trying to make you fundamentally alter the story itself, I don't think it's a big deal.
Thanks! No, it's not a big change at all, and I've agreed to make it. In any case, their guidelines do say they ask for profanity to be removed, so I was forewarned (just didn't really think I'd get in) and don't mind that much.

Not unless:
1. You'd rather starve; or
2. You want a reputation among publishers that you are difficult to deal with.

Reasons to do it:
1. Getting published is sort of a goal of being a writer; and
2. You can always publish the original version later; and
3. The money.
Whaddya mean, I don't get to be a primadonna at this stage of the game?! :D

And then there's the money.
Can't remember the exact quote or where it comes from (Of Human Bondage, maybe); something to the effect that the only people who sneer at money are the ones who've never had to earn some. Me, I do not sneer.

dale

Whaddya mean, I don't get to be a primadonna at this stage of the game?! :D

well christ. i've only completed 8 stories and i've already been a "prima donna" once. i worried about what cran mentioned, too.
but oh well. i didn't want my name attached to that hatchet job they did on it. i won't make a habit of it, though.

Users who are viewing this thread