Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Vortex of Effervescence Zig-Zagged Hither and Thither (1 Viewer)

TheMightyAz

Mentor
... And other words you thought you were clever using when you first started writing!

I remember distinctly that the first 'new' word I learned and continuously used back in the day when I was sixteen, was 'Effervescence'. That was followed by 'Vortex' and 'Hither and Thither'.

What about you?

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
For several years I worked as an admin on a behavioral adolescent in-patient unit in a hospital, and was privy to psych notes and intake and discharge reports. I grew to dislike immensely the word "inappropriate." It was used ad nauseum - inappropriate behavior; inappropriate words, dress, manners, hair, body odor, non-verbal's, parents, you name it! So I don't use the word unless there is absolutely no other inappropriate alternative available! Ugh!

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
Hmmm... Dialogue is good place to hide grammatical inexactitudes.

Foxee, here now!
Foxee, get your tail over here.
Foxee, got a moment?

I'm not saying my prejudice is logical, it just exists. It sounds yech to me.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Flocculant. One day I'll fit it in somewhere.

On a slightly different point. I do not like the word 'quick.' I will rewrite to avoid it in all its incarnations.

I had to use flocculant every year in the spring when I opened my pool. It clears up the water and then you vacuum the debris from the bottom. We sold that house three years ago. I miss the pool but not the maintenance. :)

People on here who have paid attention know my peeve is "amazing". Horribly overused and misused superlative. I think we're missing the point. I've NEVER liked "amazing" at any time in my life. LOL

Word I like: ambiguous. The problem is, it's one of three words that always slip my mind at the moment I need it.

Last edited:

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Word I like: ambiguous. The problem is, it's one of three words that always slip my mind at the moment I need it.
If that's the criteria then there are a LOT of words that I like.

I mean it all starts out with words that cause effervescence in the dictionary and then you find yourself running quick, hither and thither, searching for that magical flocculant that will solidify the ambiguous literary morass so that you can properly describe an exotic mushroom. Next thing you know you're doing something completely inappropriate like defenestrating Bazz, with an amazing scream, right into a vortex.

And that, my friends, is what procrastination is all about.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor

I mean it all starts out with words that cause effervescence in the dictionary and then you find yourself running quick, hither and thither, searching for that magical flocculant that will solidify the ambiguous literary morass so that you can properly describe an exotic mushroom. Next thing you know you're doing something completely inappropriate like defenestrating Bazz, with an amazing scream, right into a vortex.

By the way, the other two words are "continuity" and "adage" (and I just had to search for adage ... again! ... Reverse dictionary plus thesaurus for the win!). When I'm trying to grasp at adage, I always think of homily, which isn't close at all. I think, at an early age, I read homily misused and was tainted for life.

Now all I need to do is bookmark this post for future reference!

Ambiguous ... continuity ... adage
Ambiguous ... continuity ... adage ... adage ... adage ... adage ... adage ... adage ... adage ... adage

Will this repetition work? Will Vranger finally remember these words? I'll follow up the next time I need one of them, and the one I'll need will be adage. I know it.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Ambiguous ... continuity ... adage ... adage ... adage ... adage ... adage ... adage ... adage ... adage

...I'll follow up the next time I need one of them, and the one I'll need will be adage. I know it.
Better than subtractage.

Ha, pray for the LM entrants. I'm working on scoring right now and I've devolved to 'dad joke' level.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Better than subtractage.

Ha, pray for the LM entrants. I'm working on scoring right now and I've devolved to 'dad joke' level.

Believe it or not, this silly "subtractage" joke is going to wind up being the mnemonic that does the trick! :)

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
I will scream all the way down. So, world famous procrastinator, are you filleting the LM entries with gusto?

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Gusto is not a sharp enough filleting tool. One must use pasquinade to vivisect and follow up with sesquipedalian rhetoric.