Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

"The Secret" (1 Viewer)

surreal_girl

Controversy over "The Secret"

Well by now I'm sure some of you have heard of the controversy known as "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. For those of you that haven't here is a quick synopsis of it: informs reader of Law Of Attraction which explains that "like attracks like", you make your life what it is basicly. If you think positive then you get positive, you think negative you get negative in your life. Suppose to help with the mentality of being a victim. Controlling your own destiny.

I have read the book, I agree with the majority of it. I believe that you create your own world. I believe you create your own hells and heavens.

The book goes into details on how "like attracks like" as well as how to: Mend A Marriage, Finacial Freedom and Losing Weight.

First off I want to know what people think about the book (or DVD, yes there is a DVD of it).

Also when speaking to a family member about the book a heated discussion (to put it nicely) came about. According to the family member the book is about Christianity and being treated the way you want to be treated. Now everyone is more then welcome to have their own interpretation of literature but being Agnostic Thiest I cannot stand when people throw religion into the mix. When someone talks about it, it turns me against the subject almost immediately. I don't force my beliefs on anyone, why should they force God on me? Does anyone else believe the book is about Christianity even though the book clearly mentions other religions as well? Do you feel that you should force people into other religions? Why is family the hardest panel to have a discussion with? (Last question... just for "fun")

I look forward to reading your responses.

Last edited:

Hodge

pliable
Of course it's about some sort of God. You can't honestly expect there to be any kind of "like attracts like" rule without some sort of intelligence to mandate what "negative" and "positive" energy entail.

This book and its belief are just a substitute for mainstream religions, but the end result is the same: everything is happy and nice and great if you only believe in it. And if bad things do happen? You didn't believe strongly enough, baby. Or you believe wrong.