Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Secret Life of Bees (1 Viewer)

F

FictionFan

The Secret Life of Bees is a book I would definitely NOT recommend. It was a huge best-seller but it was a total cliche. It was corny as anything and I hated it. I had to read it for a university class, otherwise I never would have touched it.

~fictionfan (but obviously not a fan of ALL fiction)

killned3

Yeah, I didn't really like that book. It was fairly well-written, so I can give it that, but otherwise it was boring and not interesting... :joker:

Knightskye

I hear people talking about that all the time in my school. They say like: "Hey, did you read the Secret Life of Bees?" And then whoever they ask groans and complains about how bad it is. First time I saw that book, I laughed at the title; it does sound pretty silly.

E

Elf

I had to read it for school this year, but I had read it over the summer. I loved the way it was written, and I did enjoy reading the book itself.

So I disagree.

G

gingerpower

hmm iv heard its good but the plot is a bit iffy(is that even a word?)
owell its been lying around my house forever so i guess il pick it up :thumbl:

Dancer Preston

gingerpower said:
hmm iv heard its good but the plot is a bit iffy(is that even a word?)
owell its been lying around my house forever so i guess il pick it up :thumbl:

From dictionary.com:

if·fy /ˈɪf
thinsp.png
i/
[if-ee]
–adjective, -fi·er, -fi·est. Informal. 1.full of unresolved points or questions: an iffy situation. 2.doubtful; questionable: An early decision on this is iffy.

So yes, it is a real word. :)

Tundra Belle

Oh, the shame of it!

But I have to admit….to having enjoyed Bees. Two reasons:

1) the imagery and the voice
2) T-Ray. That was one mean man. I spent the book waiting to see if he would catch up with her (what was her name?) and what he’d do if he did. Ms. Monk's work with T-Ray served as a reminder that your protagonist is only as good as your antagonist is bad.

Reading Bees was an obvious fluke for me, as was that poem I wrote a week ago. My redemption, however:

Usual Reading Material: Science Fiction
Current favorite author: Richard K. Morgan.

And believe me, there’s nothing further from Bees than Morgan's Altered Carbon.

Cheers,

F

FictionFan

I just thought it was too cutesy and feel good and I hate that crap.