Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Right Ages (1 Viewer)

I am having a bit of an issues with my novel about racing. Is 34 years old an ok age for my character to be racing or is that a bitt too old?

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
I am having a bit of an issues with my novel about racing. Is 34 years old an ok age for my character to be racing or is that a bitt too old?

What sort of racing is it? I suppose the simplest way of finding out would be to google 'racing' (whatever it is) and see what the ages are of current racers. If there's one of 34, you're good to go. If not, then make that part of the story.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Yes, as AZ mentions we need to know what kind of racing it is. I have friends who are Commonwealth metal holders and Olympians. One of them ran at the Olympics up to 41 years old. I think if it's car racing then it can be a lot older.

It would also help to know what stage the character is in their career...middle career or nearing the end.

druid12000

They can be any age if they're racing RC cars. There are running competitions for senior citizens.

Broad spectrum to the racing biz.

Xander416

It really depends on what kind of story you're telling, because someone being something at an unrealistic age could work in one idea and not in another. For example, no one will bat an eyelash at a 13-year-old piloting a combat mech in an anime like Mobile Suit Gundam, but a story about a 13-year-old Green Beret in Iraq simply won't work and would have people rolling their eyes so hard that they'd shoot through their skulls into orbit around the planet.

Well thanks for all the messages. After a long time thinking I have gone with 19. Gives me more of a chance to take the reader on a journey instead of bore them with their back story