Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Red Couch Part Of My Scene 1 (1 Viewer)

SCENE: LIGHTS UP ON THE LOBBY OF THE HOTEL VINNI VINNI VICI, VENICE, ITALY CIRCA 1925. THE DECOR IS VERY RUSTIC, BUT STILL RATHER LUXURIOUS. IT'S A COZY, QUIET LITTLE HOTEL, THE KIND WHERE ALL THE TENANTS KNOW EACH OTHER AND GATHER IN THE HOTEL LOBBY FOR BRANDY AND CARDS. THE MAIN FEATURES ARE A LARGE RED COUCH, SEVERAL SMALL TABLES AND CHAIRS, AND PAINTINGS OF THE VIRGIN MARY. IN THE BACK IS THE RECEPTION DESK BEHIND WHICH IS A WALL RACK FOR KEYS TO THE ROOMS. ALSO IN THE BACK IS A STAIR CASE LEADING UP TO FOUR DOORS. AT RISE, WE SEE SOPHIA, A SWEET GIRL IN HER LATE TEENS. SHE'S ONE OF THOSE GIRLS WHO ARE SO STUPID IT'S ACTUALLY KIND OF CUTE. SHE WEARS A SIMPLE BLOUSE AND A SHORT SKIRT, NOT SHE IS REALLY SLUTTY, BUT BECAUSE SHE IS ALSO ONE OF THOSE GIRLS WHO DOESN'T REALIZE HOW PRETTY THEY ACTUALLY ARE OR WHAT SIGNALS THEY GIVE OFF WHEN THEY DON'T MEAN TO. SHE SPEAKS WITH A LIGHT ITALIAN ACCENT. SHE IS READING A MAGAZINE WHEN THE PHONE RINGS.

Sophia - Bonjourno. Vinni Vinni Vichi Hotel. This is Sophia speaking. How may I help you? Mr. Fratello? Yes he does work here. Seven days a week in a fact. No I'm afraid he's not. Yes he does work here, but he doesn't work here now. He's not here yet. Well i should think he'll get here. He works here seven days a week. Can I take a message?

(one of the pictures of Mary falls off the wall)

OOPS. Hold on a second. The Virgin hit the floor. Yes the Virgin. She's been hitting the floor a lot lately. It's all Mr. Fratello's fault really. We instructed him to put it in deeper, but does he ever listen? No he doesn't. One day she's going to brake and he'll never be able to get it back up again. Yes the Virgin. That's what I said. No no no! The Virgin Mary. We have a picture of her hanging in the lobby. Quiet a lot of pictures actually. This one always gives us trouble though. We think it might be her spirit calling to us from the heavens. That's why we keep it on the wall. It really brightens up the room you know. Anyway, I'm afraid Mr. Fratello is running late today. Can I take a message? Yes I'm sure he's not here. The place has been quiet all day. Fine fine fine! I'll go and check. Goodness. Some people just have no patience whatsoever!

(she starts walking towards the door, the phone still in her hand)

Mr. Fratello! Mr. Frat......

(the phone cord snaps, but she continues walking with just part of the phone)

Just a second. Mr. Fratello! I'm sorry sir, but he's not here. You'll just have to call back......

(the caller of course has been disconnected)

Hello? Sir? Ughh! Well how rude!

(she slams the phone back on the reciever, completely oblivious; just then George walks on in a paisly robe and slippers carrying a cup of tea and reading the newspaper; he sits down on the couch; he speaks with a charming British accent)

George - Morning Sophie.

Sophie - Oh good morning Mr. Lucas.

George - Please, call me George.

Sophie - (girlishly) Good morning...... George.

George - I trust you're feeling well today.

Sophie - Terrific! Except I just had the most awful conversation with this man rambling on about Mr. Fratello! I told him several times he hadn't come in yet and he would just simply have to wait. i even offered to leave him a message!

George - And?

Sophie - And he hang up on me!

George - No! Really?

Sophie - Yes! There I am trying to be polite and he hangs up on me! It very rude.

George - I should say so! Next time you get a gentleman caller, or any caller for that matter, you tell them you're a friend of George. Then they'll think twice about hanging up on such a charming young girl as yourself.

Sophie - I can really say that Mr. Lucas? I mean...... George.

George - As often my dear as your little heart desires.

Sophie - Ohhhhhh.

George - Well will you look at that.

Sophie - What?

George - Three more bodies found early this morning...... lodged in the sewer.

Sophie - The sewer? Oh dear. This is getting quiet serious is it not? That makes five murders this week!

George - Don't you worry none about it though. They'll get caught evintually, whoever's behind this.

Sophie - Oh you really think so?

George - I'm certain of it. It does make for one depressing read though. Whatever you do, don't let Lucinda see this or......

(Lucinda, a girl of about the same age as Sophie, bursts into the room, taking the door down with her; she is waving a newspaper in her arms ferociously)

Lucinda - Mr. Fratello! Mr. Fratello! They're here! They're here!

George - Calm down Lucy for goodness sake!

Lucinda - Calm down? Calm down? Three more bodies discovered this morning in the Grand Canal and you expect me to calm down?

Sophie - The Grand Canal? Three bodies?

Lucinda - Yes yes yes! Here! Look look look!

(she shoves the newspaper in front of Sophie's face)

Sophie - No no no. Not the Grand Canal. The sewer. they found the bodies in the sewer.

Lucinda - The sewer? That's not what the paper said. See? Three bodies discovered early this morning submersed in the merky waters of the Grand Canal!

Sophie - That's strange. Mr. Lucas, I thought you said the sewer?

George - I did. I did say the sewer. Call me George Sophie.

Sophie - Oh that's right! Stupid stupid stupid!

George - Let me see that paper.

Lucinda - Here! Take it! I can't bare to read any further!

(she hands the paper to him)

George - Well no wonder! I was reading the local and you're reading the incidents and arrests section. That's why.

Lucinda - B......b......b......b......b...... but that means there hasn't been three dead bodies found at all. There's been six! Aghh!

(she runs back out screaming)

George - You know I worry about her Sophie. I really do.

(Lucinda runs back in carrying a large suitcase)

What's all this then?

Lucinda - Artillary. Heavy artillary.

George - Whatever for?

Lucinda - To prepare! We've got to prepare!

George - For what?

Lucinda - An invasion! An invasion of death!

Sophie - Oh Lucinda. You're so over dramatic.

(she notices the phone finally)

Oh my God! Someone cut the phone line!

Sophie and Lucinda - Aghh!

George - Girls girls girls! Relax. All cities have murders. That's what makes them cities. Besides, all those murders took place on the other side of the city. Hardly anyone ever comes here. Now, Lucy, I suggest you calm down, breath, and have a bite of breakfast before making any plans to relocate.

Lucinda - Oh no. I'll pass. After hearing about all that I couldn't possible eat any......OO! Are those rolls?

(she sits down at a table on which sits a bowl of muffins)

Sophie - Well i don't know who could have broken the phone. It worked just fine earlier.

Lucinda - Well all I know is...... OO, is that tea?

(she takes the cup from George)

George - I didn't mean take my stuff!

Lucinda - Ah. Earl Grey. My faviorate.

George - Yes. Mine too. Small world don't you think?

Lucinda - Look, all I know is it's mighty strange is all. Don't you find it strange Sophie?

Sophie - (examining the phone) Hm, it must have snapped right after that man hung up with me.

Lucinda - Sophie!

Sophie - What?

Lucinda - Ughh! I swear! You all are the most incompetent people I have ever had the priveledge of working with!

George - Ah, but you forget. You don't work for Sophie. You work for me love. Which reminds me, my water's a bit dingy. I don't suppose you could......

Lucinda - Fix it yourself.

(she walks off)

George - Oh my God! What is that?

(loud crashes and bangs are heard from where Lucinda exited)

Lucinda - OOPS. Very funny!

George - I try. Oh I just love Italy. Don't you Sophie?

Sophie - What?

George - Love Italy.

Sophie - Who?

George - You.

Sophie - Where?

George - Italy.

Sophie - Where?

George - Here.

Sophie - What? Right now?

George - Oh never mind. I'm just remarking about you and your quaint little Italian charm.

Sophie - yes. i do love Italy. Don't you?

(he looks at her strange)

What? Was it something I said?

to be cont.

Sop

TJ_302

I really liked that...no criticisms from me cause..well...who am I to critique? But I liked it...especially the slightly airhead Sophie....I always like characters that are quirky as opposed to serious....anyway...well done

Users who are viewing this thread