Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Race of the characters in your novel (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj47

(he/him)
WF Veterans
Why isn't it? Shouldn't it be?

I ask because if the vampire was around during the days of slavery, wouldn't that have an effect on how he relates to the world?

I don't want to sound like an asshole, but I often find that people who say race doesn't make a difference are usually white. That doesn't mean you don't care, just that you're not aware of the impact of race.

He's not that ... old/long a vampire. But yeah. Race matters. That's not what I'm saying. My point is that it's very tough for anyone to think outside their experience when creating characters.

RhythmOvPain

but the more the reader can personally relate to the character, the more the reader becomes involved in the story. that's why
i also leave much of a characters appearance up to the reader.

as far as the race question? if i feel like i character is white for whatever reason, they're white. if i feel like the character is black
for whatever reason? they're black...and so on. i see the characters in my head as they are and i portray them that way. i don't
really put a huge conscience effort into the reasons.

THIS.

TOTALLY.

COMPLETELY.

YES.

Patrick

WF Veterans
There's an impact when you don't see yourself or people like yourself. Particularly when you look at that person's ideas of beauty.

This video brings tears to my eyes.

[video=youtube;tkpUyB2xgTM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkpUyB2xgTM[/video]

You know, as a parent, that this must have an impact on these children.

Kids are brutal when it comes to differences. They do the same thing with red/ginger hair in the UK. You're ugly because you're ginger, and you have a fiery temper because you're ginger, etc. Unfortunately, kids often take what other kids tell them to heart. It certainly does have an influence on the way you see yourself. It's a nastiness that kids just have in them.

Tettsuo

WF Veterans
I've seen the video.
But do you get my point? I'm sure you'd agree that such, often hidden, views of oneself will have a serious impact on how that character will see and react to the world around them if they exist in a world like our own.

Race has an effect, even when it's not blatantly obvious. But, that's what makes characters interesting. Those subtle differences in behavior, speech and mannerisms.

Tettsuo

WF Veterans
Kids are brutal when it comes to differences. They do the same thing with red/ginger hair in the UK. You're ugly because you're ginger, and you have a fiery temper because you're ginger, etc. Unfortunately, kids often take what other kids tell them to heart. It certainly does have an influence on the way you see yourself. It's a nastiness that kids just have in them.
Kids reflect what we show them. So, I don't think it's nastiness. I think it's the result of living in a society where what you look like is in the minority. Children in Barbados don't exhibit this behavior as the world around them reflects and resembles them.

LeX_Domina

Back on TOPIC though...

writing only what you know puts a limit on your imagination,though I believe it should be a base to build off of so you are not completely unformiliar. In my case,Bells (Isabella) has experiences based off my half black/half Italian friend from highschool .She ,like all my friends were kinda goth-ish (we were drawing planetary runes on walls in the basement and going to occult shops).But again,to build the fictional isle of La Capulette,I had to do research more on Roman Paganism and greek mythology.Her mother was a stage magician and died on stage...so I had to start watching videos on magic tricks and illusionism to get it right.

With Sloan,one of my friends was half Japanese in middle school,so I was partially exposed to the culture,but I had/have to do reasearch to build more.He was from a catholic background but denoinced his faith years ago(ironically,he still kept his mother's rosary--and a jade necklace from his japanese grandmother) ;Not catholic,but et some and did research(I was lucky enough to end up with a religion class ,this helps).

when I conceived Johnny ,he was distinctively british .Plus his backstory involves him running 'cross europe with an older woman who took him as a lover-,he would've logically been in europe for this to happen....plus he was in a psychiatric hospital after being unable to stand trial for a crime he may or may not have committed..said circumstance calls for him to be in england actually (looked up the hospital for it).

The thing is this: write waht you know is important to help build,however,it SEVERELY limits your possibilities.I am building a world with my novels and each series has a different set of main characters.It would be ridiculouslfor every character to be a straight white american male in his 20's-30's ...that is just ludicrous.

The important this is that they are people first and if you cn understand what it is to be a person ,with some research , empathy and input from people of said background,you should be able to write decent ,well rounded characters.

Anyone who plays videogames knows that the developers are NOT afraid to create likeble and relateble characters of a race other than their own ,same for screen writers, so I give these people mad respect.Book writers need to get onboard and get their act together because I see more POC's on tv than I read about in novels.

All this could only be possible under the circumstances of their backgrounds

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
Hello LeX_Domina,
welcome to WF. I'm very pleased to meet you.

You pose a surprising question. I have been looking over my own limited amount of work. Mostly my characters are middle class and white. Strangely my first attempt at a novel features Native Americans and Hispanics. A modern day take on the Western. There are some Afro-Carribean characters but as of yet they don't have much of a central role. I will take some time to examine the possibilities.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Respect
BC

LeX_Domina

I only deal with humans, other races are just a bit too much of a stretch for me.
I can deal with that ,not everyone's cup of tea

On a side note ,some people deal with aliens(star wars and star trek BOTH averted this) or vampires and the like and everyone is still mystically white.I am NOT a fan of twilight,but can we give ms.meyer points for having some non-white people featured rather prominently? and true blood for ethnic vamps existing in their verse

dale

I can deal with that ,not everyone's cup of tea

On a side note ,some people deal with aliens(star wars and star trek BOTH averted this) or vampires and the like and everyone is still mystically white.I am NOT a fan of twilight,but can we give ms.meyer points for having some non-white people featured rather prominently? and true blood for ethnic vamps existing in their verse

most vampire stories are set in mainly caucasian areas. probably the reason for them being "mystically white". how many black people live in transylvania, anyway? or london? or the various other regions these stories are set in? most of the vampire stories i see in a modern urban american setting do detail a variety of races.

MzSnowleopard

WF Veterans
I'm sure that London has a healthy diversity of ethnicity.

I wouldn't consider vampires a race - they're undead, that's a different class.

dale

You're saying blacks weren't shipped there like they were to the States ?
my point is..they were an extreme minority. it would have been stupid to throw them in the story. and as far as all that
slavery crap? did you know that at the same time the american colonies had black slaves, that there were over 1 million
white slaves owned by blacks and arabs in africa? what do you think the barbary wars was about? that's why i don't buy
into all this "oh. the poor black american" crap. and why i think black people who think like the white man has some duty
to make anything different is just a total crock of shit. every race on this planet has been slaves. people need to get over it.

LeX_Domina

my point is..they were an extreme minority. it would have been stupid to throw them in the story. and as far as all that
slavery crap? did you know that at the same time the american colonies had black slaves, that there were over 1 million
white slaves owned by blacks and arabs in africa? what do you think the barbary wars was about? that's why i don't buy
into all this "oh. the poor black american" crap. and why i think black people who think like the white man has some duty
to make anything different is just a total crock of shit. every race on this planet has been slaves. people need to get over it.

virtually every nation had slavery---just that slaves were usually integrated into society,via mixing or other means.

black americans had to pout up with the Jim Crow era [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_laws

[/URL]

alanmt

WF Veterans
Most of the characters of my recent work are elves, though they're not your father's Tolkienesque elves. But yeah, there are humans, a dwarf, and an orc-ogre mixed race gentleman. Racial oppression is a big part of the plot.

dale

virtually every nation had slavery---just that slaves were usually integrated into society,via mixing or other means.

black americans had to pout up with the Jim Crow era https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_laws

and? the irish, the railroad chinese, the japs were put in interment camps by FDR during WW2, the jews....
...seems like a lot of ethnicities were discriminated against in america. not like blacks hold a monopoly on it.

Deleted member 56686

Retired Supervisor
WF Veterans
Okay, now I can't be so nice. Again, this forum, and certainly this thread is not for political debate, period! Any more lapses in judgement and this thread will be locked and extreme statements will be discussed by the mods. Are we understood?

LeX_Domina

Yes .I am truly sorry.My intention for this thread was not for it to fall into this.I merely wanted to doscuss the idea of workingbwith muilti ethnic cast members in novels.I am writing a series and many of my characters fall across the racial spectrum and I wanted to know how common this was.I am truly sorry for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.