Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Picture of Dorian Gray (1 Viewer)

Dabnorfish

When the day at work was dragging, I said to my colleagues "In the attic, there's a painting of me going home." No-one understood :(

Jam

Never have I read a book where almost every peice of dialogue was a memorable quote before. I loved this book! :)

BlackWolf

Hahaha, not. I meant the really early ones, Dickens and the like. 2-D characters and way OTT descriptions, and story-lines that feel cliche even if they were the first of their kind. Yawn.

BlackWolf

I make an exception for Great Expectations. Only Pip's sister and her husband were 2-D in that. The rest were fine.

Jam

Hahaha, not. I meant the really early ones, Dickens and the like. 2-D characters and way OTT descriptions, and story-lines that feel cliche even if they were the first of their kind. Yawn.

Haha yeah deffinitly get that :p Just thought I'd make a funny :) And I did haha.

superchase32

Wilde is the it! this is one of my favorite Wilde works. My other favorite is the simple though classic A Woman Of No Importance. Dorian Gray is one of the best male literary characters.

C

creativespark

Wilde's early writing is witty, satirical and entertaining, but to fully appreciate him as an artist, it's important to read his two great works written in prison, De Profundis and The Ballad of Reading Gaol. These two pieces are profoundly moving, and reveal his serious side. Tragically, after his release from prison, up until his death three years later, he was unable to write again.
So, these two were written after The Picture of Dorian Gray?

Yes, I've read it after recommendation of a friend. I'm considering reading it again for a full understanding & second-time around enjoyment. But I did enjoy it first time around, too.

TWariner

Love it! It's one of my favorite books. I love Oscar Wilde stuff in general. This is just one of the most interesting ideas and subjects there is.

whoamI

I to love the story. In response to someone who said something like the book was dull and boring or something, it doesnt suprise me. i believe that it takes a special sort of appreciation for literature to enjoy any sort of classic literature for the very reason that it is classic. Modern literature is modeled after it so obviously it may be a bit more in depth or whatever way you want to put it. Anyways, ever since i studied both classic and gothic literature (kind of wierd to say as gothic literature[the old style not the modern junk] is a form of classic literature, but oh well) i have been obsessed with the two. For those of you who enjoy wilde i suggest going nto some areas of gothinc writing that are a lot more idk true gothic pieces. My reccomendations would be The Monk by Mattew Lewis, although it is quite easy to find it boring especially since he goes nuts on adding all the elements of gothic literature into it. Other good ones are The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole the founder of the gothic genre, or pretty much any of Ann Radcliffe's books, but i especially like The Italian as it is somewhat a parody of The Monk

If you are interested in the gothic genre contact me as i would love to learn more about or spread interest in it.

Girl in Story

You basically just denounced all modern literature. That's like loving a classic just because other people call it a classic and it's kind of silly. Of course modern literature was modeled after classic literature, which was modeled after the stories that came before it, which were modeled after oral history. You should love a story because its a good story and not because signet prints an edition of it.

Last edited:
J

Justin Millett

This book is amazing. My all time favorite book to sit down and phsyco-analyze. Wilde did a terrific job in this piece, exploring the dangers of human ego and vanity. The book had a tremendous impact on me as a young writer and also as a young human being.

Also to the comments above about the book being boring: Yes, this book is boring, but the book is also written from a time when entertainment had nothing to do with shooting people or murder. This is true romance, and for you not to appreciate it is just....slander in my opinion haha.