Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Picture of Dorian Gray (1 Viewer)

Written by Oscar Wilde, in the 1800s. The book was actually ripped apart by crtics and banned when it was first published. Now it's considered a classic. One of my all time favorite books. The writing style is absolutely flawless; every time I read it I wish I could write like that. Who else has read it?

jipsi

wildely inimitable...

The Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my absolute FAVORITE books of all time. i too strive for his combination of elegance and wit and morbid beauty that is seamlessly blended in this book. i think he was probably the first author i ever tried to mimic , after i read this book. everything , from dialogue to description to commentary is done in just the perfect , balanced amount.

W

wordwitch

I am down with any book that made the banned list at some point. :) It's been riding around in the backseat of my car for six months, so I better read it.

M

Mr Peace

October Song said:
The book was actually ripped apart by crtics and banned when it was first published. Now it's considered a classic.

"There is no such thing as an obscene book. There are well written books and poorly written books. That is all."
-Wilde

My first name is Dorian, after the main character in this book. I've read it and it's very good, as is nearly anything by Wilde.

I have. It's brilliant. Except for chapter 11 or so where the going went a bit tough and it took me... a week... to get through those pages... But I loved the ending!

strangedaze

read it for shits and giggles over the summer. i enjoyed it, but i wouldnt count it as a favorite. his rendition of salomé, however, was fab.

R

Rogue Writer

Wait a moment. Oh shit I've read this book I know I have but I can't remeber what it is about. Someone please refresh my memory.

hirshmon

To be honest, it's one of my LEAST favorite books of all time. I hated it, and I hate Wilde's writing... it's so hard to trudge through. I don't care if they considered him witty at the turn of the century...here, right now, in the 21st century, I think he and his writing are, frankly, boring. The story might've been compelling and exciting and entertaining if someone else had written it...

kalibantre

I adore it, simple as. It's up there in my favourites and I think hirshmon you were a little harsh, and rogue? how can you not remember the plot??

aliceedelweiss

I loved it. I'm actually going to be reading it again soon for English class. i did tons of research on Wilde afterwords,reading all the stuff about his imprisonment and all. I don't remember exactly why it was banned...can any one help me on that? Either way, I completely loved it. The atmosphere it gave was glorious.

hirshmon

kalibantre said:
I adore it, simple as. It's up there in my favourites and I think hirshmon you were a little harsh, and rogue? how can you not remember the plot??

I remember the plot... it was a decent plot and idea. What I hated was reading it, because of Wilde's execution. I might be a little harsh, but I know that reading it was very harsh. I don't think I enjoyed a single page of it.

kalibantre

haha, no. But I like the idea of having a rogue opinion.. haha.

I do have a problem with Dorian Gray.. He shouldn't be blond..

S

stormswimmer

I thought that it was a great book. It has a witty feel with well developed plot and characters.

nereyda_333

Well... The Picture of Dorian Gray is probably my most hated book, even more than the Da Vinci Code! I read it some years ago, and I remember that at first I liked it, I thought "how witty is this guy". But according I was reading more, I started getting more and more annoyed by the way it was written, the bunch of stupid things that could fit into the same page... (I think he tried too hard to be witty and to seem clever) And when the painter (who was my favourite character) died, I got really angry. From that point finishing the book was a nightmare for me. I wanted to know how the story ended, but every time I picked up the book I got angry, it was an unbearable book for me. And now I don´t even remember the ending :-s

Last edited:

J. Bryan Shoup

This was the first selection my book club read - it is quite a classic. I found Dorian's transformation from angelic figure to corrupted deviant a bit rushed, but it was satisfying overall.

LoneWolf

I just read it for AP English. I absolutely loved it...since I had to analyze it I found so many symbols and literary devices. It was great, made me wish I could write like that. Though the ending kind of confused me, I liked it.

LoneWolf

Ya, Sybil was so innocent...did you see all the rose imagery that Wilde described her with? It's not really Dorian's fault though...I loathe Harry.

Users who are viewing this thread