Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The personal Essay as a means and ways of defeating writers block (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
The personal Essay and writing stories

Post anything you want concerning essays and if it inspires you to write a story.

Last edited:

Megan Pearson

I haven't heard of this technique before. Sounds a bit like self-applied psychotherapy? You'll have to keep us posted and let us know how it works out.

Personally, I've been struggling with writers block a lot lately. It's not generally something I'll admit to, but I did not write very much that was productive today. (Although despite that, I did make progress on my project overall.) I'm finding anxiety is a killer of creativity. I'm also finding that time in prayer or a brief nap also help. For both the anxiety and the clarity of mind.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Personal essays have rising tension, compelling characters, and mini-plotlines that push the reader toward a conclusion or a realization. A personal essay isn’t simply an anecdote but an in-depth exploration of a subject.
Essay categories include travel, parenting, grief, humor, satire, nostalgia, divorce, friendship, personal growth, and much more. Essays can cover a trip with your mother-in-law to Las Vegas or a midlife moment in the mirror.
The key to well-written creative nonfiction is in the use of scenes to convey the story. Creative nonfiction essays use less narrative and more scene-by-scene storytelling—a technique that pushes the sensory experience for readers.
When readers feel the action of an essay, they can make inferences, judgments, and emotional connections. They can experience the events with personal investment. Readers can then examine their own experiences in comparison.
“Creative nonfiction is an umbrella term. It is an easily accessible genre encompassing a multitude of forms such as the personal essay, the profile essay, participatory journalism, memoir, features, travel essays, biography, and inspired reportage on almost any subject. In short, creative nonfiction is the art of applying storytelling techniques to nonfiction prose. They are true stories that read like fiction.”

source: from writing short stories and personal essays (by Windy Lynn Harris).

I haven't finished reading it but the author makes a strong case in my opinion. Of course writing a personal essay is tricky. I would pick the best essays in a collection or anthology.

One essay in the book is called the greatest lesson we learn when unkind. (in this book printed by the author mentioned as little buddha, maybe a book)
The other is called mother in the house. There are more but they echo themes of life. They may give you ideas for plot. Because they have conflict.

The Art of the Personal Essay Hardcover – January 1, 1994
by Phillip Lopate

I bought this since it has a collection of personal essays, the author also has a nonfiction book on how to write personal essays. But as you know you can find free material on the internet on categories and types she mentions of these sort of writings.

My opinion is that the author of the 1st book I mentioned makes a compelling case on how to be inspired. An essay can easily be used a theme (subject, moral, lesson, learning) of a story and can be used to present a conflict.

If you are stuck on writers block. Since people frown on bad advice, everyone has it, let me know if you need reviews for some books on amazon I bought I can give them on request by pm though I haven't finished (kindle books). IMO, the book phillip loparte wrote on writing literary personal essays is better than journalism or journaling. I bought that as a physical book. Any opinions on what I wrote are welcome. Basically the writer I first mentioned makes a strong case for why nonfiction is important. I like the little budda essay a lot. I will look for similar work. Journaling hasn't been working for me. But I bought a book besides loparte's book which explains it and one called the situation and the story which has it covered somewhat. It is based on real life experiences that you write from to produce writing. It's a prestigious univeristy professor (lopate) from columbia university which is second in creative writing supposedly.

Last edited:

Megan Pearson

I like the idea of writing creative nonfiction as "true stories that read as fiction." That's something I would be interested in pursuing someday.

Thanks for the encouragement with the writer's block. As of yesterday I began taking my own 'lighten-up' advice. (It includes hoping on here as a reward in exchange for making some progress.) I don't know whether or not my own advice is good or bad, but I'm happy to report that already it has helped lower my anxiety toward my project. I also decided that, with six months of research behind me and several drafts already written, maybe I was taking the wrong approach. We'll find out this afternoon if this new approach works. (Wish me luck!) Thanks for the offer too, but I'm afraid I'm juggling a bit much right now and will have to pass on it.

BTW, journaling has never worked for me either. Although, Loparte's book sounds interesting. I may add that to my summer reading list. Thanks, TGH!

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Ok. Also just just for the sake of argument. An essay presents an argument. I think a famous writing guru called Lajos egri said there are three parts. The thesis, antithesis and synthesis. This can be what is called the essay. He never says this can be applied to personal essays. But thesis is the argument, antithesis is the counter argument, and synthesis is the combination of both argument's merits leading to a conclusion. So if this is the case, poverty leading to crime, can be the theme at least Lajos Egri stated this premise. Analyzing it we divide it into these three parts. Every side has a merit, but also has a flaw. At the end the theme is resolved with the action of the story proving the point. His book is based on themes for movies. I read his book. I even own a bookrags study on it. It mentions his book is explicitly studying the theme of movies or plays. Which can then apply to stories. He mainly analyzes plays but he stated that premise when writing a story inside his book the dramatic art of writing. Which was studied at universities. My problem with the book is you need a good university education to get the most out of it. The hegelian dialetic applied to movies I wish I knew what it was. It's something worth googling in my spare time. But this book is part of a curriculum in film schools. Poverty leads to crime is the thesis, after that I guess on would have to if the book I interpreted is correct take the study of essays seriously as well. Too bad most of the stuff he analyzed is of tragedy and not comedy.

IMO after reading Mckee's book (story), a value is more than just a theme or argument needed to be proven. It is the change part of a scene, for example you can imagine a scene on ordinary life based on responsibility. Then include this change of fortune, the person became irresponsible. Why? This makes a scene imo, since the status quo is interrupted. Or needs to be maintained.

Dialectics need to look up the definition. The link gives an example of what that is. It also defines conflict.
Here are some university notes on Lajos Egri to prove he had good points on theme which is what we are talking about.
source:
https://slideplayer.com/slide/3939097/

Definition:
There must be something to generate
tensions and create complication and this
something must be natural and organic.
The force that unifies is human character
and all of its contradictions
If there is a thesis, there must be an
antithesis. From the two will come a
synthesis, uniting the road to truth.

Whereas formal logic was rigid and
examined static relationships, dialectics was
the understanding of real life-processes of
motion, contradiction and change existing in
the material world

example:
Laws of Dialectical
Materialism
♦ Law of quantity into quantity and of quality into
quantity
♦ Unity of opposites (polarization-attraction)
♦ Negation of the negation
“Each is linked organically to the other as an
expression to a law which is felt in all grades of
consciousness and general experience”
-Hegel

Dialectical Materialism
The three main ingredients of Marx’s theory are:
- Productive Forces: natural resources and technology.
• Productive forces can change when there are discoveries,
Inventions, and conquests of other countries and colonization
of other lands.
- Mode of Production: economic system.
• The most important thing to look for in an economic system
is the relation between and the distribution of power among
the various classes.
- Ideological Superstructure: government, law, politics,
religion, art, literature, philosophy, science, etc.
KARL MARX

Sorry for including all this information but it explains my example. The hegel and karl marx part are quoted from the internet.
An argumentative essay on poverty leads to crime which can be used as a good theme for a (the verb lead means its a premise that must be proved by the writer of the story) movie(https://www.ukessays.com/essays/criminology /how-does-poverty-cause-crime-criminology-essay.php). I will most certainly try everything.

Last edited:

Megan Pearson

Okay. Now you really have my attention! Personally, I've been working on using a modified Aristotelean dialectical method in my teaching and, while I strongly prefer Analytic Philosophy, I have at least some interest in Continental so far as it applies to areas of interest. As such, I am not familiar with 'dialectics' as you use the term. What do you mean by it? (I.e., can you define it for me in layman's speach?) Continuing on, let me interact with your thouhts here in blue:

Ok. Also just just for the sake of argument. An essay presents an argument. I think a famous writing guru called Lajos egri said there are three parts. The thesis, antithesis and synthesis. This can be what is called the essay. He never says this can be applied to personal essays. But thesis is the argument, antithesis is the counter argument, and synthesis is the combination of both argument's merits leading to a conclusion. So if this is the case, poverty leading to crime, can be the theme at least Lajos Egri stated this premise. Analyzing it we divide it into these three parts. Every side has a merit, but also has a flaw. At the end the theme is resolved with the action of the story proving the point. His book is based on themes for movies. I read his book. I even own a bookrags study on it. It mentions his book is explicitly studying the theme of movies or plays. Which can then apply to stories. He mainly analyzes plays but he stated that premise when writing a story inside his book the dramatic art of writing. Which was studied at universities. My problem with the book is you need a good university education to get the most out of it. The hegelian dialetic applied to movies I wish I knew what it was. [While I haven't studied Hegel's theory of language, I know just enough enough to probably get me into trouble. I'm speculating somewhat, but I believe Hegel is a deconstructionist? Although, I don't think he went as overboard as Derrida. (But I could be wrong. Haven't read much about either.)] It's something worth googling in my spare time. [If it's a big interest, then may I suggest taking a class on the history of philosophy instead? Studying the turns in philosophy will give you an overview as to how they developed and what their relationship is to one another.] But this book is part of a curriculum in film schools. Poverty leads to crime is the thesis, [It's a false cause fallacy. It advances his case by getting attention, which means I'm implying he's using rhetoric and not logic. For what it's worth, I have a PhD friend who taught psychology for many years and from an academic conversation we had regarding morality, the family, and socioeconomic influences on habits on moral upbringing, this type of thesis has long since been debunked. However, what Ergi is perhaps trying to say is, if truth is a social construct, then he can claim whatever he wants and justify it as correct within a given social context. But truth--now that's the crux of the matter!] after that I guess on would have to if the book I interpreted is correct take the study of essays seriously as well. Too bad most of the stuff he analyzed is of tragedy and not comedy.

IMO after reading Mckee's book (story), a value is more than just a theme or argument needed to be proven. It is the change part of a scene, for example you can imagine a scene on ordinary life based on responsibility. Then include this change of fortune, the person became irresponsible. Why? [Polemics. No, I've not read Mckee, I'm just responding to your comments. Polemical argument drives an argument, increases the risk to the stakeholders involved, and would make the scene more dramatic. It's why we all loved Worf and Data but saw Riker as part of the furniture. I think there's a fallacy involved in this, too (refering to requiring polemical argument as a requirement in dramatic storytelling--not Riker), but what it might be is escaping me right now. For every argument there's a counter-argument, yet that doesn't mean the counter-argument need necessitate a 180-degree opposite. If you have done something you call 'good' and someone else says, 'Hey! That's wrong!' or evil or sick, and each synonym conveys a difference in meaning--but clearly, good and sick aren't opposites (sick and healthy are). What I'm trying to say is, a counter-argument doesn't have to state a polemical opposite to still get attention. For example, what might be worse tan calling your good thing evil (which I, at least, wouldn't believe) would be if they called your good thing 'mistaken' (note the shift in meaning here where the issue at hand becomes 'goodness' and doubt is cast on the person making the claim--yet it's not an ad hominem, it's in part a call for you to state your case how the thing is good). With the claim of 'mistaken', contra your claim of good, I think, is a good counter-argument because it's an attack against your claim regarding truth of the matter. Yet, just because an opposing claim (not opposite) is put forward, any claim is empty without the evidence to back it up. This means means the truth of the matter very well may be that your claim about whatever as good is true.] This makes a scene imo, since the status quo is interrupted. Or needs to be maintained.

Dialectics need to look up the definition. The link gives an example of what that is. It also defines conflict.
Here are some university notes on Lajos Egri to prove he had good points on theme which is what we are talking about.
source:
https://slideplayer.com/slide/3939097/

Definition:
There must be something to generate
tensions and create complication and this
something must be natural and organic.
The force that unifies is human character
and all of its contradictions
If there is a thesis, there must be an
antithesis. From the two will come a
synthesis, uniting the road to truth.

Whereas formal logic was rigid and
examined static relationships, dialectics was
the understanding of real life-processes of
motion, contradiction and change existing in
the material world
[Hmm. I may not know 'dialectics' in this guise, per se, but I know exactly what it's saying. Briefly, the advantage logic give us is that by it we may evaluate an argument for internal consistency in order to ascertain its validity and truth. What Marx is doing in converting truth as grounded within human nature (conventionalism) is bypassing truth as absolute and his manner of doing so is rather like how a Midieval sapper bypassed a wall. Let me focus my thoughts on truth. My best guess is this theory dialectics has proposed is appealing to the coherence theory of truth, which says the truth of the matter depends on the strength of its relationships. In other words, everything lies relative to another thing in a great, intricate and interrelated web. (Ironically, the Anglo-American version of this argument is one of my areas of interests, so I have studied it to some extent.) Personally, I'm a classicalist & appeal to the correspondence theory of truth. Here, the truth of an object belongs to the object, thus we may investigate the object to discover its truth qualities. I believe much of science operates in this fashion, although I haven't studied the philosophy of science so I can't say for certain. You may wish to add these theories of truth to your research list. By the way, if you aren't already using it, the online Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is an excellent resource.]

example:
Laws of Dialectical
Materialism
♦ Law of quantity into quantity and of quality into
quantity
♦ Unity of opposites (polarization-attraction)
♦ Negation of the negation
“Each is linked organically to the other as an
expression to a law which is felt in all grades of
consciousness and general experience”
-Hegel

Dialectical Materialism
The three main ingredients of Marx’s theory are:
- Productive Forces: natural resources and technology.
• Productive forces can change when there are discoveries,
Inventions, and conquests of other countries and colonization
of other lands.
- Mode of Production: economic system.
• The most important thing to look for in an economic system
is the relation between and the distribution of power among
the various classes.
- Ideological Superstructure: government, law, politics,
religion, art, literature, philosophy, science, etc.
KARL MARX

Sorry for including all this information but it explains my example. The hegel and karl marx part are quoted from the internet.
An argumentative essay on poverty leads to crime which can be used as a good theme for a (the verb lead means its a premise that must be proved by the writer of the story) movie(https://www.ukessays.com/essays/criminology /how-does-poverty-cause-crime-criminology-essay.php). I will most certainly try everything.

Mmm... you may find Hegel more useful than Marx to literature studies as he wrote quite a bit about it. I would love to provide you with an analytic philosopher to countermand their Continental voices, but I'm afraid literature studies has not been my focus. Maybe someone else here can suggest one?

I hope I haven't shot too many holes in your bucket and I hope that you find what I've provided as more in the spirit of providing counter-argument than of 'arguing', which is something I don't think is productive at all. I appreciate your well thought out research on your topic. I know I have learned a thing or two from your comments on dialectical materialism. Please check your PM for some of the things I have been reading, which you may be interested in. Keep up the good work!

luckyscars

WF Veterans
Seems over-engineered.

I don't believe in writer's block. I do however, believe in lack of confidence, self-discipline, and stress.

The best cure for writer's block is to just start.

I have finished two stories this week, one 4,000 words, the other around 3,500 (still editing down) and neither of them I had any real idea about until some way after I actually started. It's not a thing to be 'defeated' its a thing to be ignored.

Yeah, I know that sounds easy to say, but it really is true. I've read some of your stuff theglasshouse and I think you're talented enough not to let a made up affliction bedevil you.

If you can't ignore it, it's probably something else - personal life stuff, tiredness, etc. But to talk about writers block is to make it real. Carry on.

Last edited:

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
You are correct luckyscars in saying there is no writer's block since we can use everyday life. I was thinking deeply where to find inspiration. I think we should start with characters for ideas. Ideas can be images. It could be an idea story. It could be a character based story. Or a plot based story. My latest story was an idea story since it was science ficiton. Also thanks for complementing me. I think you've got talent since you write often and receive lots of praise.

I am trying something that rung true for me. I think the best writing advice is to use real people from life. I plan to use the enemies of my pasts as antagonists in stories. They are rich material. My personal wounds as well. I think I will write more inspired by real things that happened to be turned into a metaphor. Friends to are also good material. I plan to more free writing based on this different approach. Why this approach? Because characters can start stories faster than a situation.

So with that point of view I agree with you. I do have a guilty pleasure of buying books. I plan on buying one last book but it is to inspire me from personal experiences. (Writing Alone and with Others)

For example every person we know can be a source of inspiration that can be friends or enemies from family members. Real events that happened to family members can also be good sources for stories.

The internet has good advice on how to tackle some writing problems or worries I have. I recently consulted it to write with better description. -xXx- has been helping me with some unique problems in transitioning characters in scenes.

Last edited:

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
So I have decided to read some personal essays and create some off my own. To eliminate writers block from never leaving the house. I assume it will be personal, a lot of the things I will be forced to write about that could serve as story material. But I was curious, does anyone practice this art to write stories? I picked up two books on personal essay writing. An anthology will arrive in the mail. This is far different from journalism, its much more structured maybe and there are some people who practice this with a lot of reputation. Whether it means they are versatile in writing stories I don't know. I am personally glad I bought a book that explained it as a technique to defeat writer's block.

I dunno if this is the same, but I read a lot of non-fiction for inspiration. Fact is stranger than fiction, and people are stranger than fact.
I also read the news...all of them*, because it often gets my ire up. A writer needs a fire in their belly, they need that thing that compels them to write. I often find it in the daily newspaper.
I have written lengthy works simply because I was inspired by something I found in an encyclopedia or textbook.

*Except US News...they're so shallow it's like reading Time Magazine; once you've read the synopsis, you've read the whole damned article.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Thank you for sharing your own personal opinion on this in this thread. I do feel "guilty" of using personal essays for writing settings. I cannot imagine a place such as a playground since I haven't seen many where I live. I don't have a good memory. But that will be the setting for a new story I wrote. I appreciate what everyone has said. Personal inspiration is currently using my inner demons of the past. Characters come from the creators or writer of the stories. So in other words I am making the emotional wound the subject of the story and the end of the story as to what I have planned. I wrote part of the next story I am working on today. I plan on writing more as time passes. Plus if you don't take notes then the essay could be useful. Writers of essays are good note takers and so I use the internet for writing the essay's descriptions. For writing based on inspiration I am going for a middle ground. I promise to write every once in a while. I am using my personal experiences for the theme. Right now in the story I am trying to write about healing the wounds of a past experience. It's a good subject that is very general and from experience. I borrow from descriptive essays and reword it.

Nonfiction is a good source of description. I am going to look to see if I find something on what I wrote about. But I hope I come up with some ideas of my own as I keep writing. Thanks ralph for sharing your opinion on nonfiction. As for using newspapers I am not too sure where to look as a good news source. Since all I find is news on the political part of life. I write from the imagination. It's only recently that I have been using this as research. I do find some nonfiction can be inspirational if it has a element of conflict. But like I said, I have to read more of the other genres. I bought an essay collection which I plan on using. But I am also trying to use my instincts for writing using the imagination using my past as a theme (the emotional argument of the story).

I plan to give it a try as I had ordered some books on writing personal essays. But I will try to please what posters have advised. That I should write just to continue and use the imagination. Which I have something under 1000 words but may post it as flash when it is finished since I was told it is easier to get opinions this way.

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
Like I said, you have to read all the news sources to get a true picture.
I like to study the underlying differences between liberals & conservatives, and you can glean a lot from newsfeeds.

Rome is the mob.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I was thinking since there are free essay databases, essays can provide inspiration. There's this novel I am studying and its proving invaluable. (the themes and analysis of the plot and characters are good of the novel)

Forget the title writer's block for this thread. I think if we feed ourselves the information we need, we can get a good story going (as in a first draft).

Sorry for the lame title for this thread.

Trollheart

Offline: Depressed
Sorry. I don't mean to sound smug, but I rarely if ever suffer from writer's block. Perhaps that's because I move, as I mentioned in another thread, from project to project as I lose interest/inspiration/dry up on each. This doesn't always happen. I've written stories in one sitting in an hour or two, others I've had to come back to, change, completely rewrite or just see in a new light.

As for ideas, damn it, I get them all the time, and too many of them. Sometimes it's a phrase someone mentions, something on the TV, lyrics in a song, or building on or working from someone else's idea, the sort of "that's good but I could write it like this..."

I think as long as you WANT to write, you will. It may not necessarily be the story, novel or piece you want to work on right now, but as long as you write something, I believe that should help to keep the stagnation at bay, and you should find it harder to suffer from writer's block than if you keep hammering at the one idea, getting frustrated and downhearted because you can't "crack it". You will, eventually; just sometimes you need to take a break and gain a fresh perspective on things.

I think it's very possible to overthink these things, and in trying so hard to beat the dreaded writer's block you may actually end up feeding the monster. Starve him via your creativity, which we all know we have, even if we have to dig deep sometimes to find it.

Just my two non-American cents...

ETA: Sorry, OP, didn't see your most recent post till I'd posted this. D'Oh!

badgerjelly

If you have serious “writers’ block” (whatever that means?) just write an essay titled “Techniques For Combatting Writers’ Block”

Any time I’ve had some problem I just write about it (eg. How To Write An Essay). It’s pretty hard to have writers’ block when you’re writing. It’s all generally about dressing up ‘fear’ as procrastination so you can make excuses rather than address whatever the problem is head-on.

Remember that ‘Essays’ require a degree of creativity too; technically speaking you’ll likely learn a number of things you’d never thought of before in more ‘literary’ pursuits. Taking short cuts exponentially increases the distance to cover several miles down the road ... ALWAYS!

Either you want to write a piece or you don’t. Attempt it or don’t. Anything else is like holding your breath to make your life last longer - it makes sense, but it’s nothing more than a ridiculous waste of time.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I agree this (pursuing nonfiction and writing it) is impractical because of what I am doing is a lot of work.The reason I got the idea at first was a craft book. I think I'll end up getting a book with writing exercises to see if there is a story I'd like to write. I found one and got an idea for a story I would enjoy writing. That's what most important that we write something. Even though I'll try my best to stay away from a cliched plot if I can. Any draft is a good draft.

My problem is going to be a waiting period for the 25th but I can start the story. My revision process can take a lot of time. But the last story I wrote supposedly is mechanically well written from a syntax perspective. I have strong feeling or hint I have dyslexia which messed up my syntax. Supposedly around the 25th or later this month I should have the only program that has worked for me so far. Two members said the sentences were structurally sound which is good news.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I tried it once and I didn't do so well in scores (or place well in the contest) because of the mistakes with fragments and other grammatical problems such as syntax. I could adapt a work I have written a long time ago for the contest or I could rewrite a failed story that got rejected for the lm. I didn't do so well since I didn't discover wynn reader 7 before by posting a revised story using it in the workshop for feedback. Spag and grammar is my biggest weakness by far (I dont like mentioning this often because its something I should manage). This program I will buy could help me proofread faster. As mentioned the last story I wrote didn't have any problems with syntax or spag.

I use a program called wynn reader 7. But I won't have that purchased until the 25th of this month. I don't have a job because I have an emotional disability. I depend on my family to get the program and anything I need for writing. It's a messed up situation. It's not cheap for someone without a job at 325 dollars. I already asked for it.

What I find challenging of the lm challenge is that it means you need to include something relevant about the prompt. Because none of the prompts speak to me as a writer and for inspiration sometimes. I do think now they are using more than one prompt to increase entrants in the contest. There is less freedom to write about what I want.

The advantage of writing a short story in contrast is that there is no set time limit. I do have an excellent idea for a short story. I plan on posting it once some days pass by and I start to write it. When I post it in the workshop it will be an excerpt so that I get more replies.

Maybe I could adapt the story idea for the lm contest. I have to check to know what people voted for would be the prompt for this contest. But the best answer I can give is that I prefer until next month's competition when I will have wynn reader 7. The reason is acquiring the program is a must to get a decent score in grammar in the competition. Without the program I can't proofread my own work independently and without help from other people. It's that important or crucial that I get it first. I used a demo to proofread my last story of wynnreader 7. It only lets me use it for 40 minutes then I have to restart the computer to use it again. That's the problem, I haven't officially bought it yet. I prefer to make a draft of something and not a finished product. Which would be for the lm if that makes sense. Because without the program I cannot write a final draft of my stories. For the practicalities of this situation it doesnt make sense since I need the program no matter what. It could be counter-productive without buying the program to enter the contest.

Once I purchase the full program I could regularly enter which would be this month or next (on the 25th of this month I should be able to with financial help to purchase the program).Thanks for the suggestion and I have considered it but I have to solve some things out first. Thanks anyways for suggesting the idea and giving the writing advice.

Last edited:

Ken11

I was thinking since there are free essay databases, essays can provide inspiration. There's this novel I am studying and its proving invaluable. (the themes and analysis of the plot and characters are good of the novel)

Forget the title writer's block for this thread. I think if we feed ourselves the information we need, we can get a good story going (as in a first draft).

Sorry for the lame title for this thread.

How many drafts do you usually write before you reach the final product?

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
1-3 without the rewritten final work. The 1st one is to find the idea of the story called a free write. The 2nd one is for improving the ideas and if decent enough I submit a short excerpt by posting it in the workshop. The 3rd incorporates the suggested advice and is a revision. It could include last minute additions and inspiration. The last copy could be rewritten if rejected. It could be posted again in the workshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.