Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The New "Literary Maneuvers" Coffee Shop (1 Viewer)

Ibb

I'm currently in the process of punching myself repeatedly in the attempts to complete a story before this LM's deadline. While doing so, I decided to scope the competition, noticed the new banner for 'Defiance' on the home page, and coughed up my noodles while laughing riotously. Props to the designer.

Matchu

I believe the world shall agree the esteemed committee will have found its winner by now if one was to hypothetically observe the latest entries one would discover the true gem of prose crafted like a diamond in Amsterdam from a position of impartiality, of course.

Could I change my eighth 'toward' in a row to an 'at.... ...commode'? Only...I need to sleep tonight. Oh Pip {weeping...}

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
Come on Matchu, you shouldn't beat yourself up. Let us do it instead...
I believe the world shall agree the esteemed committee will have found its winner by now if one was to hypothetically observe the latest entries one would discover the true gem of prose crafted like a diamond in Amsterdam from a position of impartiality, of course.

Could I change my eighth 'toward' in a row to an 'at.... ...commode'? Only...I need to sleep tonight. Oh Pip {weeping...}

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
To all challenge seekers:

May 2021

is special because of ~

Mother’s Day
Lumpy Rug Day
No Socks Day
Lucky Penny Day

and . . . (drum roll)

A Special
Literary Maneuvers Challenge

Prompt*
for this upcoming month of May only
(ta da!)

(
*NO PROMPT SUGGESTIONS
from potential participants
or anyone else, please)

It does, however,
still require judges (4)
Let me know
if you want to volunteer

Please and thank you!
SueC

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
To all members, who have posted at least 10 posts:

UPDATE 4/22 (per PIP): subscribing members (FoWF) can enter the challenge immediately without making ten posts

The Writing Discussion forum is very popular and full of excellent feedback on written work or ideas of members. I have seen several newcomers voice an opinion about writing in general, or one story or another and doing an excellent job at that. Thoughtful, considerate, pointed and helpful to others.

So I thought I would point this out, in case anyone, especially newcomers, think they are not skilled enough to write a critique of a story submitted for an LM comp. There is a format to follow, but basically it is just a matter of voicing an opinion of the work submitted – just like what we so often see in the workshops, as well as the discussion forum.

For the monthly LM comp, the scoring system is this –
Spelling and Grammar: 5 points
Tone and Voice: 5 points
Evaluation: 5 points
Reaction: 5 points
Review: <in your own words>

There is a detailed explanation of what each of these terms mean HERE.

There are great benefits to those who judge. UPDATE 4/23 (per Harper J. Cole: The current rule is five times in total, including at least once in 2021. If you do it five times over the course of a calendar year, you will be eligible for an invitation to enter the Grand Fiction Challenge (in February). You will be able to hone your skills at being able to provide useful feedback to your fellow writers; you will continue to grow in your craft and be a contributing member of this awesome writing community!

So . . . who’s up for May? Just send me a PM, and thanks to all who read this! ��

SueC

Last edited:

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
Where is my Raktajino?

You want it hot or cold?

maxresdefault.jpg
9k=

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
Hot enough to blow on for a minute. Thanks.
Does anyone believe in omens? Like if that early morning dunker splits off and disappears under the coffee's surface, do you think it's going to be a crap day?

Matchu

No...I am properly fascistic on the subject of coffee and of coffee shops. Intolerant. Probably I am through it by now, but days gone by the idea of a writer in a coffee shop observing the world would make me seethe.

But I did used to play the 'holding my breath game' - the big swallow & 'if I make it to the end of the corridor I will lose my virginity one day in this century.' And I still count the rivets on the bedroom wall, and the split in the bedroom door which tilts from the vertical I find very difficult to resolve when I wake up I look at it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread