Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The New "Literary Maneuvers" Coffee Shop (1 Viewer)

velo

Staff member
Supervisor
Hey guys, lots of changes coming for the LM in 2020! Enough that it felt natural that the currently long-in-the-tooth coffee shop thread (32 pages!) could be retired and a new one started. So that's what this is. I'll lock the old LM once the scores for DEC are posted. Please continue to use that thread for all posts related to the DEC LM and this one for JAN20 and forward.

We are also very sad to announce that our venerable yet humble host, bdcharles, who has faithfully guided us through so many LM challenges is retiring the mantle of host at the close of the December challenge. The LM is my favourite part of this forum and I want to extend a heartfelt and huge thank you to him for his excellent work at running this comp on behalf of not only myself but also all staff and LM participants. We know it was a lot of work and required serious dedication so hats off to you, sir.

tenor.gif

However, this sad news does not mean the LM is done! It will continue in a similar format for the time being with not one, but rather three regular hosts. Harper J. Cole, who runs the annual LM championship, SueC, and myself will take turns throughout the year as we try, and will surely fail in many ways, to fill bd's EEE wide shoes. The schedule and rotation have yet to be determined so stay tuned.

I could even see a fourth host if someone is interested in hosting 3x/yr. Please send me a PM and let me know if so.

Rotating hosts will also give us a chance to throw our own spin on the challenges and make things a touch less predictable and hopefully more exciting. We've recently expanded the style of types of prompts, such as this month's epistolary challenge, and who knows what else is in store?

Looking forward to 2020 and if you see bd around the forum please be sure to thank him for his great efforts!

Cheers!

velo, 1/3 LM host

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
Thank you sir! It's been a great comp to host but sadly life has a nasty habit of getting in the way. I know you'll all do a cracking job (as you did when covering this summer).

Still need judges for Dec though. Need entries too. I might write one myself actually and post it anonymously again ;)

velo

Staff member
Supervisor
Please post prompt suggestions for January's LM in this thread. Poll will go up on 20DEC.

Shockhawk

A death-scene piece would be my suggestion.

Oh and thank you bdcharles for all your service... wish you best in your future endeavors!!

Shockhawk

I second an alien invasion... what’s up with the secondary options? (Wasteland, Soap Bubbles, and Dead of Winter)

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
Suggest:
Write a story that fictionalises the origins of an idiom

Second:
Wasteland

luckyscars

WF Veterans
Suggest:
Write a story that fictionalises the origins of an idiom

I like this but think a proverb might be a little more inspirational than an idiom. I think we all imagine things when we hear certain wisdom nuggets. The proverb would probably need to be the title, to avoid confusion.

Write A Story Based Around A Common Proverb.

E.G "Look Before You Leap", "A Dog Is A Man's Best Friend", "Ignorance Is Bliss", "A Stitch In Time Saves Nine", etc.

luckyscars

WF Veterans
Write as another gender/race/species

The gender one is possibly a little bit easy? A lot of stories (most?) can be written with a male or female protagonist and be much the same, I write stories from a female perspective as often as I do male. The race idea could be interesting but I suspect would lead to a lot of problematic stereotyping. It's just a little too open to creating offense as people try to rapidly identify their character as black/asian/hispanic/Jewish in 650 words. Species could work, I'd be interested to read a story from the POV of a goldfish or something...

Ralph Rotten

Staff member
Mentor
The gender one is possibly a little bit easy? A lot of stories (most?) can be written with a male or female protagonist and be much the same, I write stories from a female perspective as often as I do male. The race idea could be interesting but I suspect would lead to a lot of problematic stereotyping. It's just a little too open to creating offense as people try to rapidly identify their character as black/asian/hispanic/Jewish in 650 words. Species could work, I'd be interested to read a story from the POV of a goldfish or something...

Just because you write from those POVs doesn't mean you nail it.
Most men do a lousy job of writing from a woman's POV.
Essentially they just slap tits on a male character.
Ladies, am I right?

If we did the Gender angle, please make the word limit at least 1000 words.
650 is just too short for any useful writing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread