Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Neverending Story (1 Viewer)

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
I don't see she went to the side. In line 16, she bumped into Hector's leg with her jaw hanging...unless I missed it.

"Hector kicked at the loose knife and watched it slide across the deck, under the railing, and disappear into the waves."

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Happy-hippie, you're welcome to follow up with another move forward! Or, y'know...somebody! Three lines to get this going again, I believe in whoever it is who's reading this! Here's where we left off...
"Obviously, you're overthinking this," the cat said, sitting down as though the deck were still as a board on a sunny day and fixing him with a golden stare.

"How?" Hector asked before his brain could rush in and tell him cats can't talk, the cat gave a needle-toothed yawn.

"Doesn't matter but in this weather we'll all drown if you keep standing around instead of doing something useful."

**hope this one works**

His therapist had told him that the illusions were not real, just disowned parts of him, and so, he stared hard at the cat, willing it to disappear.

Just then, the Tabby jumped up with a loud, piercing screech. “Watch out! Watch out! She’ll kill you, she will!”

Hector turned just in time to see that the woman had found an empty wine bottle and was aiming for his head. “I’m sorry,” she said.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Cursing himself for thinking of his therapist at a time like this, the same therapist who warned him to live in the moment, Hector threw up an arm to shield his head and got solidly thwacked on the forearm.

The woman looked at the bottle, dismayed that it hadn't broken, and in that moment Hector grabbed it and threw it overboard, considering doing the same to the woman.

"Nice try, Princess," he said dryly, "now explain-- " But he was interrupted by a wall of water that crashed over the side of the boat, tilting everything like a funhouse as it swept him...

PSFoster

across the deck to the opposite side. He couldn't see the woman or the cat. He tried to stand but dizziness made his head swim. Where the hell was he?

Foxee

Patron
Patron
The rail along the edge of the deck smacked him on the shoulder and he grabbed it and hung on while water surged over him in a determined effort to remove him from the boat. When it subsided he found himself clutching the rail with both hands, shivering as a sodden cat clung to his shirt and the skin of his back with every one of its hooked needle claws.

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
"Look, you idiot," the cat hissed, "we're gonna die out here. Get us back to the cabin right now!"
Hector struggled to his feet on the sea-washed deck and tried to prise the cat's grim grip from his flesh as he slammed the cabin door on the storm. The sudden reduction in noise, cold and lashing rain was comforting, as was the strange but undeniable fact that the mutilated woman and all trace of blood and gore had vanished. He sat on the rumpled bed and stared at the cat on his lap.
"Don't you remember the genie at all?" the cat asked, staring up at him with sad orange eyes.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
"Do I want to?" Hector asked. He had started to shiver, his wet shirt clinging like an annoying relative. "Any genie who thought this scenario was a good idea is not one I'd want to remember." He blinked at the cat. "I don't suppose you know more than you're telling?" Now didn't seem to be the time to worry about the fact that the cat could talk though a part of Hector's mind was very worried indeed.

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
The cat pointed an accusing paw at Hector. “We were having a great night until you messed up. The genie only offered you three wishes. You’re the idiot who thought a stack of drugs would be a good idea. And, incidentally, how come I ended up as a cat? What the hell were you wishing for?”

Hector peered at the cat. “Josh? Is that you?”

“Yes it is and now we only have one wish left.”

Tim

Friends of WF

Sullen gray clouds hung low over the Straits of Florida, a promise of foul weather to come and marched west over the two detectives standing in the Pelican Marina car-park.

Josh Baum looked at the badge hanging from his neck. "Are you kidding me? This is your wish?" The badge read: Detective Sergeant. Miami-Dade Police.​
Detective Lieutenant Hector Cade frowned, closing the drivers door of the unmarked Ford Crown Interceptor. "What the hell are you on about?"​
"You really don't remember?"​
Hector said, "Remember what?"​
Two uniforms ducked under the cordon tape walking fast.​
The first held up an evidence bag containing an ebony handled dagger. "Divers found this. They're bringing the bodies up now."​
The second officer cuddled a wet cat, wrapped in a towel. Its eyes were sad and orange.​

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
"By the way, Hector, what happened to that lamp?"

"What do you mean?"

"The damned lamp. What did you do with it?"

"Oh, I don't know. Still on the boat? Went over the side like everything else? What difference does it make? The three wishes are done."

"You nitwit. YOUR three wishes are done. Now it's my turn, and I'm not gonna fuck mine up like you did. By the way--I thought I was the cat!"

"I thought so, too. So where did THAT cat come from?"

A light dawned in Josh's eyes. "Patrolman, bring that cat over here, and for God's sake keep a grip on it. Don't let that thing get away!"

Foxee

Patron
Patron
As the patrolmen approached, Hector recognized the one holding the cat as Officer Flynn, a spare woman with flame-red hair tucked under her cap in a neat chignon. She had struck him as being somewhat humorless and very businesslike but had heard that she had a hard head for liquor. Now she looked bemused as she cooed over the cat and it stared up at her with a mesmerizing orange gaze.

The other officer, young, tanned and radiating energy that Hector hadn't felt for at least a decade, marched right up to Hector and Josh with the evidence bag. "Should be quite a story here," he said.

Out on the water, the boat exploded in a somewhat-cliched but nonetheless very hot fireball.

Tim

Friends of WF
The air-blast rocked the parked vehicles on their suspensions; windows smashed spewing glass everywhere; the sound of angry car alarms filled the car-park.​
Hector sat up and shook his head, and glanced at Officer Flynn lying next to him. "You okay?"​
"What?" she said, sitting up slow.​
"The cat," Hector said. "Where's the cat?"​

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
Josh was already up and running. “It went this way,” he shouted over his shoulder, “come on!”
Hector offered his best sexy smile towards Officer Flynn. “You get the evidence back to headquarters and I’ll see you later.”

By the time he caught up, Josh was dragging the bedraggled cat out from under a parked car. They both stared at the feline, neither felt comfortable with the inevitable question but it had to be done. Josh finally spoke, trying to inject a bit of authority into his voice, “Are you the genie?”
The cat looked up at them both, stretching its mouth into an attempt at a smile that was truly horrible. “Yes, but I’m not going back into that lamp and you can’t make me. The debt was paid with your three wishes.”
“Never mind the lamp,” Josh’s voice was urgent, “I just want three wishes too.”
The cat looked at him artfully. “I’d need another favour.” he purred.
Hector nudged Josh. “Be careful,” he said, “he seems to have a bit of a thing about cats.”
“I want to be your partner.” the cat announced quickly, “You let me tag along with you and you can have three more wishes.”
They looked at each other and Hector grinned. “Maybe a shape-shifting magician wouldn’t be such a bad partner, especially now we seem to have landed a couple of awesome jobs? What do you think?”

Tim

Friends of WF
An eerie silence fell over the marina as the car alarms timed out, switching themselves off one by one. The sizzle of crackling flames, from the gutted boat, subsided as well as she sank below the surface with a final hiss of steam.

"Okay," Josh said with a frown. "We're not cops though. What are we supposed to do now?"

"Fake it till we make it." Hector took a notebook and pen from his pocket as they walked down the boardwalk.

The cat followed.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Josh stood stock-still for a second, mouth open and then walked alongside Hector with a quick crab-step to keep the cat in sight. He looked around for observers before hissing his objections sotto voce.

"Is your brain missing? We can't fake being cops. We're not even cops, we're detectives! Which is to say, we're not detectives. Up until we found that lamp we were treasure hunters and you were considering taking a job at the box factory."

Hector stopped walking and looked at him very seriously, silent for so long that Josh finally threw both hands out and gave him a look as though to say, Well?

"Think Officer Flynn would be into me?" Hector asked.

jenthepen

Staff member
Mentor
Back across town, an hour later, they were still arguing as they climbed out of their unmarked car.

“Hang on.” Josh grabbed Hector’s arm and pulled him away from the steps of Miami-Dade Police Headquarters. “If you intend to front this out, at least let’s do something about him first.” He glanced around to make sure they were alone before speaking again. “Can’t you change into something more normal than a talking cat?” he hissed at the grinning animal.

A camel, a zebra and a mouse appeared in quick succession as Hector and Josh contorted themselves in a frantic effort to hide and dismiss each new manifestation. Josh snatched up the mouse and drew it close. “Look,” he said, “just do something human!”

An infant child appeared in the space where he had deposited the mouse and Josh sighed. “I’m beginning to wonder if three wishes are worth all this.”