Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Lord of the Rings (1 Viewer)

jrudder

Yeah, sorry for doing that. Come to think of it, I hate that too and I dunno why I did it. :shock: A Clockwork Orange? Never read it. Have you read any of Robert A. Heinlein's stuff? Not hard to understand, but freakin weird anyways.

Dephere

Exactly, Kal...See, I feel perfectly comfortable having Kal speak for me, but then again she knows me.

I haven't heard of that, jrudder.

jrudder

Heinlein is most famous for his book "Starship Troopers", a book that uses sci-fi to comment on the Cold War. If you've seen the movie "based" on the book, forget it because the only thing the two have in common are the names of the characters. For example, they changed something as basic as the sex of one of the characters; Dizzy was a guy in the book and a girl in the movie. :shock: Anyways, his other stuff is pretty weird.

Last edited:

jrudder

I'm not an idiot. The book's impossible to find because it's not around anymore. If you're wondering how I read it, I didn't; I read a summary.

Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land are still around, and those are good reads.

Last edited:

jrudder

I know you didn't, I was just saying I'm not stupid enough to ruin a book that is around for everyone to read, like telling everyone the ending of A Tale of Two Cities or something. Yes, books can be found again, but this one is so obscure.

kalibantre

this is very off topic but just to say never take that as a guarantee. I've read a lot of books by authors no one I know had heard of and then I'll come online and someone else will be a lifelong fan.

Books can be found you may think it's obscure but it could be on a dusty bookshelf waiting to be picked up somehwre and off hand comments like that can then take what enjoyment someone could have found away.

zoecat

So, you can all kill me when you hear this, but I hated the books.

I read The Hobbit when I was 7, and it was okay. Not great, but okay. I started LOTR a few years ago. I didn't like it because it was so long winded, and the story line was very boring. It isn't the "old style" language was boring, it's the writing itself. He wastes too much time on describing things that are irrelivant and the story doesn't pick up speed anywhere. If you asked me what the climax was, I couldn't say. The whole stupid thing felt like a beginning.

penfeind

just want to point out that the creation myth in the samirillion is closer to the hindu or norse creation myths

Mungye

oh well, I felt just the opposite, I loved the writing style of Tolkienn, was enthralled with his philology and his subcreated world.
Quite literally his books, especially Unfinished Tales, quite changed my life and gave me the courage to do some hard things I simply could not bring myself to tackle before.

VinrAlfakyn

From the first time I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings I have been a major fan of anything having to do with Middle Earth. I never really cared that he described his entire world, I thought it was awesome that he could create something so massive and it inspires me to try as equally hard on my own writing.

DEIfan4life

I love "The Lord of the Ring" books. The movies on the other hand were OK for those that didnt want to read the books. The movies skipped around to much. There were parts from "The Two Towers" that was in "The Fellowship of the Ring", and so on. The books were much better.

Jukebox

i personally enjoyed both of them while i couldn't finish lotr to the end because i have to agree it dragged on.....

Scarecrow

It was dull. I mean, I can appreciate the extent that it shaped the modern fantasy genre, but the trilogy itself is very tedious reading. There's nothing wrong with the world, or the overall story - in fact, it's great - it's just that Tolkien is terrible at suspense and excitement. The pace is awful, and it's just tedious to read.

The in depth and meandering descriptions are all for a purpose in LOTR. Middle Earth is not a reflection of modern western culture where patience and subtlety are lost in the blare of television, movies, internet, video games, etc. I believe that Tolkien intended every single word to be just where it is for very definite reasons. With him it's all about atmosphere and setting, you just can't evoke the same kind of emotion with your typical bang, bang, non-stop action piece. This is not to say that such styles are all bad, James Ellroy is fantastic with his minimalist technique. But first and foremost, Tolkien was painting a world. Shotgun's and car chases don't require the same kind of detail.

Kane

You're right, Scarecrow, Tolkien's writing doesn't capture the same feel of a Hollywood suspense thriller, for which, I am undyingly grateful. Nonetheless, I found his work to be very interesting, but then I read Tolkien before the current pop-cultural mindset where buzzwords and instant gratification have been woven into the fabric of Western Civilization. Nevertheless, I found plenty of excitement when I read the Hobbit, and LOTR.