Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Lexus and the Olive Tree (1 Viewer)

modified7

The above titled work is several years past now, but still very enlightening with regards to globalization. Thomas Friedman does a fine job of explaining this change in global culture and makes it entertaining at times,too.
I'll likely read all of his books based on how much I've enjoyed this one so far.

modified7

Not marketing.......Thomas Friedman has been many things for the new york times over the years.......foreign affairs columnist,etc. He has spent years traveling and living for periods of time in areas all over the middle east. He has been exposed to most all forms of cultural and ideological values.
From Beirut to Jerusulam was his first book I think. Longitudes and Attitudes was another, as well as the one titled above. His newest book is The World is Flat......... just has an insider's perspective to how the world is shaping up, and a unique way of describing it. The book covers many things, and it explains in a pretty detailed way how politics is being shaped more and more by globalization........by not just wall street but through foreign investments.

modified7

The title comes from his being so impressed with his tour of a Lexus assembly plant in which there were many more robots than people doing the assembly, and how it respresents modernization.
The olive tree is a metaphor for those wanting to hang onto their roots and culture against a world that is continually more globalized. I have gained a newfound appreciation for many things from reading this book.