Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Last Book You Read - and what did you think of it? (1 Viewer)

Ashen-eyes

Last book I read was Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. I've just discovered him and so far, I love all of his books! Right now, I'm reading another oen of his best sellers called American Gods.

My friend suggested American Gods to me. I may end up checking that one out when I go to the bookstore soon.

Stabering

These are the books I've read in the past few months (all fiction/fantasy)

--> The Guardians of Time Trilogy <-- Marianne Curley ~
1. The Named
2. The Dark
3. The Key

The Guardians of Time Trilogy was by far one of my favorites. It's a light read for most and was very enjoyable. It has a great storyline, thought the second book is a little slower then the rest, and lots of twists. It also has touches of ramance throughout it that flows with the story and isnt awkward to read. I reccomend these three books.

--> The Inheritance Trilogy <-- Christopher Paolini ~
1. Eragon
2. Eldest
3. (Coming Soon)

These are probably my favorite books. When I first read Eragon I thought it was the best thing I've ever read, but then I read Eldest. It blew Eragon out of the sky with its fast paced battles and well thought out plotline. These stories keep you on your toes and always make you think. Dragons, magic, and romance. What more could you ask for? If you haven't already read these you should definatly get them immediatly. Like get off your butt, run to Barnes and Noble, and get it now.

--> Pendragon <-- D. J. MacHale ~
1. The Merchant of Death
2. The Lost City of Faar
3. The Never War
4. The Reality Bug
5. Black Water
6. The Rivers of Zadaa
7. The Quillan Games
8. (Ibara) Dont remember name.

These are also excellent books. Even though there is 8+ books, the plots for each one are always different, i mean theres the basic "fight him off" in every story, but its always different. Everytime i read one of these books im left with the "WoW" feeling as everything comes together at the end. Now that im older, the reading is much easier, but it's still a great series and i dont mind walking into the young readers section to get it.

--> The Farsala Trilogy <-- Hilary Bell ~
1. Fall of a Kingdom
2. Rise of a Hero
3. Forging of a Sword

These were an okay series, a little cliche. It's the basic defend you country from enemies type book with a few twists added. The magic in the book is a little unthoughtout, it really has no limits. If you have spare time you can pick up these books, but it wouldnt be my first option.

--> Wizard Books <-- Diane Duane ~
1. So You Want to Be a Wizard
2. Deep Wizardry
3. High Wizardry
4. A Wizard Abroad
5. The Wizard's Dilemma
6. A Wizard Alone
7. Wizard's Holiday
8. Wizards at War

I accually really liked these books. The first one sounded really bad, but I got it for christmas so i decided to try it out. It accually was really cool up until the 7th book, which i kinda... skipped over. I found it a little boring to read so i just got the overview of it and continued on. The last book (i think 8) was really good but really confusing, i had to re-read various parts to make sure i was understanding everything. If i were you though, i would try to read these.

--> Deltora Quest <-- Emily Rodda ~
1. The Forest of Silence
2. The Lake of Tears
3. City of the Rats
4. The Shifting Sands
5. Dread Mountain
6. The Maze of the Beast
7. The Valley of the Lost
8. Return to Del

This series is really short, for 8 books, and can be found in 1-4 books. It was a very easy read, prolly 4th grade level type reading, and very redundant. I liked the puzzles they had to figure out at times, but really all 8 books were the same thing. Run in, get the gem, run out. Unless you are really bored i wouldnt get these, but if you want to, i read them both in about 6 hours.

--> The Bartimaeus Trilogy <-- Jonathan Stroud ~
1. The Amulet of Samarkand
2. The Golem's Eye
3. Ptolemy's Gate

The first book in this series was good i thought, and the end was really enjoyable. I liked the rules of the magic in this book because they had guidlines and other limits. The second book wasn't as good as the first, but the third beat them both. The third book in this series was packed full of action and i found the end to be heart wrenching *tear tear* They were good and i really do reccomend them.

--> Attolia Books <-- Megan Turner ~
1. The Thief
2. The Queen of Attolia
3. The King of Attolia

These books were really out of the normal range of books i normally read, with no acual magic or non human creatures. There was a little divine intervention throughout the book, but not enough to ruin it. This story has alot of politics and trickery and theiving in it, and it was a little hard to follow. I dont remember if there were accually and battles in the story or not. Not worth remembering = not worth reading. If you find time go for it, but it didnt float my boat.

--> Midnighters <-- Scott Westerfeld
1. The Secret Hour
2. Touching Darkness
3. Blue Moon

I loved this series. Even now i would probably read them again and again. I can't really describe it, it was really really good. The ending once again was amazingly well done, definatly read these.

--> The Old Kingdom Trilogy <-- Garth Nix ~
1. Sabriel
2. Lirael
3. Abhorsen

By far the worst work Garth Nix has ever done, I've read all of his books and he is my favorite author, but i didnt like these as much. It confused me when it started talking about a wall between like modern and olden day worlds. I just ignored it and replaced all the modern things with old things, it worked okay. I thought it was pretty good, but read the other Nix books first so you don't ruin it for the rest.

--> The Seventh Tower <-- Garth Nix ~
1. The Seventh Tower 1-3
2. The Seventh Tower 4-6

I really liked these books. At first when i read the back i thought it was going to be a chinese fighting book (the name threw me off and this was my first Nix book) I got it for christmas from my grandma, so i knew i prolly wouldnt like it, but i read it anyways. I was wrong. I loved it alot. Enough to read it a total of 3 times. It doesnt compare to Eragon, but it's right below it. I say read these second in the Nix line :D

--> The Keys to the Kingdom <-- Garth Nix ~
1. Mister Monday
2. Grim Tuesday
3. Drowned Wednesday
4. Sir Thursday
5. Lady Friday
6. Superior Saturday (coming soon)
7. Lord Sunday (coming soon)

This Nix Series is number one for him. They are really really good and i love every single one of them. Bravo Nix, Bravo. (That means go get them right now.)

If you like fantasy/fiction stories those are really really good books to read. (i left out HP because everyone knows about those books anyways)

~Stabering

ClancyBoy

Just finshed The Stand. I was so hooked on the last 300 pages, but don't ask me about the 300 before that.

Really? I thought it was great for the first half then fell apart at the end.

To answer:
I started Needful Things by Graham Greene, but it was boring and kind of offensive so I didn't continue.

More recently than that I started rereading Illuminatus! but it didn't seem as brilliant as it did the first time, and all I could imagine is some crank huddled over a typewriter in a New York apartment building with blood running out of his coke-addled nose.

I just don't seem to enjoy anything these days. Everything I read I feel like I've seen before.

The Hack

I've been re-reading books lately (I know, really broadening my horizons). I'm trying to think of the books I have read recently for the first time:

I read Catcher in the Rye for the first time recently (I'm surprised I didn't read it earlier in life). I think I need to read it again before I really form an opinion about it. It was well written, no doubt, I just think I need to read it again to catch some of the symbolism and subtleties.

I was in the airport waiting for a cross-country flight and I saw Limitations by Scott Turow in the bookstore. It's a short book and I like Turow's writing, so I bought it. I read the book from cover to cover on the flight. It is a very well written book (I think he is a much better writer in that genre than is Grisham), but the plot is not as gripping as some of Turow's other books (Presumed Innocent).

I read the Preface to J.R.R. Tolkien's Children of Hurin. It certainly sounds as if it will be a good book. I need to get back into it.

Scott Tuplin

Just finished The Bourne Identity. Can't say the film is better, its just different. Good read.

Might move on to "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", on which the Blade Runner movie was based.

kenewbie

Umberto Eco - Foucault's Pendulum

I found it so-so. I'm a sucker for conspiracies and the amount of detail in there is mind boggling, but he is a bit long winded for my taste.

k

V

Vargus

Giovanni's Room, by Baldwin. I thought this to be one of the best and most daring novelettes I've ever read. I have to wonder what baldwin's comtemporaries thought of him during the '50s for addressing the issue of repressed homosexuality. One thing I couldn't figure out is whether the protagonist was Black or White. I must not have been reading too carefully.

Joshua1181

Just finished "The Tortilla Curtain" by TC Boyle. Racial, cultural, socieo-economic themes (some that are a little cliche and preachy) are pretty abundant here, but still is definitely an engaging read that'll make you think some, and I'd totally recommend it.

Lemex

I just finnished 'Cell' by Stephen King.

At least it was better than Misery... but his grammar is still terrible!

Heid

"The Secret Of Crickley Hall" - James Herbert

Big fan of James Herbert but this was a let down. Uninteresting characters whom frankly I didn't really care for, poor dialogue, about 200 pages too long and the story itself was cliche (I am still hopeful that he meant it as tongue-in-cheek, though I couldn't find any evidence of it in the text).

Still, it had its moments but its by far not the best of his work that I've read.

W

WriterDude

Stabering, if you really liked Eragon for some reason (I hated it, it's soooo childish and full of clichés), try to read Dragonlance: Chronicles and Dragonlance: Legends in that order. Both are trilogies involving swords, magic, dragons, love, romance, comedy, horror, big battles, tavern talk, you name it. It's awesome. And if those six box isn't enough, let me know and I'll tell you about 160+ more. :)

Last Book:
DC Comics: Identity Crisis

Technically a comic book novel, but it's really great and deserve to be counted among the finest "you know what you're getting" novels out there. Unlike what you might think with a name like that, this isn't just a bunch of superheroes bashing a few supervillains to save the day. It's far worse than that, in a good way. Short to say, Elongated Man's wife is killed, and everyone (pretty much literally) goes on a rampage to find the killer. This turns out to be Dr Light, who raped her a few months earlier and wants revenge after failing to kill her. Or is it?

I said it. Elongated Man's wife was raped, then killed some months later. In a comic book about superheroes. Short to say, there are stuff in here that once and for all picks up the entire DC Universe and throws it into the modern day for a modern universe. People die. That's the fact. Think Marvel: Civil War is mature? Think again. This could very well have been written as an actual novel with regular people instead of superheroes. In fact, there's very little superhero-action here (there are some, of course), but focus far more on a physological apect of the story.

Of course, it does help a lot if you know who Elongated Man, Dr Light, Deathstroke, Atom and obscure characters like that are, but if you do, I highly recommend this.

It's a comic book, yes, but it's good enough to count as an actual book.

S

starbuck6154

The last book I read was "Stray"- Rachel Vincent, I thought it was a really good book. It is her first book, and before I even finished I checked to see when the next book is out. I don't do that that often.

Stewart

Over a single sitting (excuse the pun) I've just read Gents by Warwick Collins. It's basically set in a London toilet where the Jamaican staff are required, as per the council's request, to stamp out the cottaging that its renowned for. Despite its brevity it looks at issues such as racism, religion, and prejudice which extend far beyond it's milieu. And it's hilarious the whole way through too.

Luzici

The Queen of Spades,by A. Pushkin. The book is actually a lot less cruel than the opera by Tchaikovsky. It's a gambler story with phantastic elements similiar to works by E.T.A. Hoffmann, but the language is - as usual in Pushkin's prose - very clear and direct. I liked it, although I'm not overly amazed.

Lost in Some Story

[SIZE=-1]Chuck Palahniuk's Lullaby. Please don't read this. It was terrible. I felt like I was reading a first draft. Okay, maybe not a first draft, but doesn't this guy have editors?

Lost
[/SIZE]

Nillani

I'm reading (for about the millionth time) 'Does My Head Look Big In This?' by Randa Abdel-Fattah, and I thikn it's brilliant. A funny, heartwarming interesting read about a muslim aussie girl in Yr 11. Good book.

Athlynne

"Foucault's Pendulum" by Umberto Eco is the last one I finished. I liked it, though my favorite character died and I'm the only one who seemed to care. :( I liked it more than I expected to...I read "The Name of the Rose", also by Eco, when I was thirteen and, if you asked me now, I wouldn't be able to tell you what it was about. I was too young, perhaps.