Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Last Book You Read - and what did you think of it? (1 Viewer)

B

Blade

Just read Key Witch by Robert Tacoma and it was hilarious. I bought it yesterday. I've been savoring Top Dead Center by Kevin Cameron for a week or so. On the slow shelf is One Hundred Years of Solitude in Spanish (already read it in English), and that one will take me months to read.

B

Brxan

I just finished reading Conn Iggulden's Emperor: The Gates of Rome. The book wasn't that bad and even though it is suppose to be about Julius Caesar I found him to be a cardboard character, most of the other characters in the novel were just a little more interesting but the story itself was good.

I wouldn't recommend this book to most people. Only if you are interested in the Roman Empire. I did end up picking up the second book to this series today and if it is better then the first one then I will probably finish the series out.

The Hooded One

The last book I read was "A Feast For Crows" by George R. R. Martin

it was very good though I was a little disappointed that half the characters were not in this one.

The Hooded One

I just finished reading Conn Iggulden's Emperor: The Gates of Rome. The book wasn't that bad and even though it is suppose to be about Julius Caesar I found him to be a cardboard character, most of the other characters in the novel were just a little more interesting but the story itself was good.

I wouldn't recommend this book to most people. Only if you are interested in the Roman Empire. I did end up picking up the second book to this series today and if it is better then the first one then I will probably finish the series out.

I recommend Colleen McCullough's "Masters of Rome" series. "First Man in Rome" is the first book and though a little hard to get into I was hooked after 50 pages. One of the best books on historical fiction I have ever read highly recommended

Mike C

WF Veterans
Just finished volume 2 of JG Ballard's collected shorts, and it makes me feel physically sick that I'll never, ever, be able to write like he does.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Just finished "The history of Mr. Polly" by H.G. Wells, hadn't read it since I was a teen ager, Looking back I can see it had a considerable influence, passed it on to my daughter.

The Gathering by Isabelle something...

Very good book, especially considering I was made to read it for school (which kinda sucks considering how much I like it, it'll just sap the life right out of it - just like when I had to watch the Truman Show ><)

LemonLime

The last book I read was Masquerade by Melissa de la Cruz.

I loved it and I am dreading the whole year I have to wait until the next in the series is released. It is a shame that publishers taunt readers in such a way. :3

I could stand to cut off a finger but a whole year to wait... it is horrid. :3

Last book I read was Twilight by Stephnie Meyer. The book was quite good and interesting. The romance in it wasn't the cheap-mooshy-gushy type you read in other romance novels. Plus the blood and suspense of her love for a vampire was quite cool and fun to read.

Lemex

The last book I read was Stephen King's Misery.

Not impressed! The story was crap, the grammar was terrible, you could tell it was him just slagging off a small section of his fans, Annie Wilkes is too stupid to be scary, and he kept on going on about them damn pillings at the begining.

Mr King, I'm not impressed.

S

Scurry Inertia

Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks.

Was a good read, the only critisism I would have is its obvious borrowings from Lord of the Rings.

Stewart

Earlier tonight I finished Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell, a darkly comic novel set around the harsh realities of the Great Depression. My full review is in that link.

Does Hamlet count? It was the best thing I ever read. I loved it, it's just the perfect story, and of course the words are art.

If not Hamlet, then I would say The Hobbit. It had a somewhat simple story that was a pleasure to read.

jtassinaro

Finished Salems Lot by Stephen King on Sunday. The prolouge gives away the ending of the book of who lives and who dies, so that sucked.

Just finished HP and the Deathly Hollows, which was enjoyable.

Next up I'm going to try and brave another Stephen King book b/c everyone tells me that "The Stand" is supposed to be excellent. We shall see.

Ashen-eyes

The last book I read was Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice. I really enjoyed the book, so I went on and started reading The Vampire Lestat, and hopefully I'll be able to read Queen of the Damned and Hannibal Rising before Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer comes out.

O

Othello-Jane

Last book I read was Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. I've just discovered him and so far, I love all of his books! Right now, I'm reading another oen of his best sellers called American Gods.