Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Last Book You Read - and what did you think of it? (1 Viewer)

negenki

i read Winter of the Raven, don't remember th author but its' an old 1995 book about photography, mysteries, exploration and romantic. still haven't finish it... i like it because it's not all smutty like other romance books i read and their relationship developed through a long period of time instead of under one week.....

Nefieslab

Um... can't think but still typing... um... It. read It for the first time. It was great. Great read, great plot and great characters. Carry on writing like that Mr King!

Errr. Now reading Catch 22 and Harry Potter 1. (also looking forward to reading The Catcher in the Rye soon)

So far Catch 22 is mad, i love it. :D

Will probably post a non-fiction literary review of it when im done. :D In relation to Rozencrats and Gildernstein... ummmmm.

Nillani

You have a different avatar.

I am reading "Daughter of Venice". It's quite good so far. I'm enjoying it. I've read better, of course.

jtassinaro

Just finished "Midnight Mass" by F. Paul Wilson. Good read, plus it took place in the town next to me, so I knew all the places they went.

F

Funkeh

I finished 'Just in Case', about two weeks ago. It wasn't as good as Meg's debut novel, but still a good read.

And is that the same Dreamweaver from RSB and TGP?

Devotchka

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf. Very interesting and thought-provoking. She was writing at a very interesting time too.

C

CatchyUsername

-Londonistan by Melanie Phillips; highly recommended and eye opening.
-Obsessed by Ted Dekker; very good so far (not finished with it yet)
-Devil In the White City by Erik Larson; one of the most well written non-fiction books I've ever read

I've got about 5 other books on standby waiting for me to pick up and read.

S

Sabrina Fleur

I just finished Lord of the Flies, william golding.
personally..i find that it was prejudice, had chauvinistically ideal favoritisms and had predictably typical outcomes: The quiet one was the devil in disguise (Roger), the main character had to be the blonde and the leader(Ralph), the irish had to be the hot-headed aggressor-oppressor (jack), the fat character had to be weak, vulnerable and unhealthy ("Piggy" -.-). But aside from that..no DUH ppl are gonna lose their heads when theyre like..STRANDED on an island.

Krim

Reading Lord of Light by Zelazny. Fucking amazing. Great prose (mostly), great characters, great Buddhist discussions, great action.

The last book I read was called "Catch Me When I Fall" by Nicci French. I picked it up at an airport after I finished the last Harry Potter book for the sixth time...
It was incredible. It was a psychological mystery...It kept me guessing until the end.

oh im now reading "the Catcher in the Rye" which is good so far as i can tell. Im wondering right at this moment why it was given as the reason for the murder of John Lennon... however i am not yet very far through it, so im sure the answer will become apparent later.

Rob

Last novel I read was The Dying Animal by Philip Roth. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cheers,
Rob

Let's see, just finished up One for the Money by Janet Evanovich and also Peter and the Shadow Thieves by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson.

One for the Money is absolutely hilarious, probably a new favorite series. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Peter and the Shadow Thieves was also reallly well written and entertaining (if you like YA novels). Props to Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
The utility of force by Rupert Smith

If you are interested in what is going down in the world today this is dry but informative and perceptive, the author was Deputy supreme allied commander nato in Europe, in a command position in Kosovo and commander of motorised forces in the first gulf war. His basic thesis is that we have moved from industrialised warfare to what he calls war amongst the people.

Recently finished reading Everything's Eventual by Stephen King - short stories are brilliant, but damn he can make a 'short story' seem frigging long.
Of course reading a collection of short stories leads you to have a favourite...and mine is the initial one "Autopsy Room Four."
I had goosebumps while reading.