Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Indian Coranavirus Variant (1 Viewer)

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
France has become the latest European country to introduce restrictions on UK travellers due to the spread of the Indian coronavirus variant.
On Wednesday, the French government announced a mandatory quarantine for anyone arriving from the UK, although the duration is yet to be confirmed.
Germany imposed a two-week quarantine on UK arrivals last week. Austria has banned direct UK flights from 1 June.
By last week, the UK had recorded 3,424 cases of the B.1.617.2 variant.
That number had risen by 2,111 cases from the previous week.
England's chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty, has said the Indian variant is "more transmittable" than the UK variant first identified in Kent, which was responsible for the UK's deadly wave of coronavirus infections this winter.

"We expect, over time, this variant to overtake and come to dominate in the UK," he said.
Article continues:

So UK tourists arrive to enjoy ALL the sacrifices we have made in Portugal. Some are not wearing masks in the arrivals lounge at the airport or wearing a fake sunflower lanyard to avoid wearing a mask. People wearing fake lanyards should be heavily fined and sent on the next plane home. I am so angry that people abuse this.

We have strict rules in Portugal and on the whole we all abide by them.
If Portugal have any sense they will also impose the same restrictions as some other countries in Europe before it's too late. Especially when Safe Communities in Portugal

report:
One particular issue which was raised was that on the first few days when UK travellers were allowed into the country for tourist purposes, the airport staff saw a lot of people arriving into the terminal without masks. When asked to put them on many showed a lanyard with a sunflower assuming this would exempt them from wearing a mask.
The sunflower lanyard was introduced in the UK as an aid for people with hidden disabilities such as anxiety, autism and other hidden disabilities. However, these are not recognised in Portugal and we would ask our followers in the UK to pass this message onto anyone thinking of travelling to Portugal with one of these lanyards hoping to be able to circumvent the mask rule.
If people are unable to wear a mask for medical reasons they must obtain a written authorisation from their physician and will need to purchase a clear visor that covers the face in order to comply with the current laws surrounding the wearing of a mask in Portugal.
One other disturbing feature which was highlighted in our meeting was that in some cases these lanyards were actually “fake” sunflower lanyards and the people wearing them had no disabilities at all and when asked to wear a mask did so quite easily.
we are desperate to see our family in the UK so we need to drive up through Northern Portugal then to Santander at the top end of Spain (2 days) to catch a ferry with a 36 hour crossing so our PCR test will have expired by the time we arrive in the UK.

I could not bear the thought of being in such an enclosed space with so many people and those who have no respect for the safety of others.

Last edited:

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
@ Pip.
This is only going to get worse. The UK Government has managed to shirk their responsibilities and leave everything to the people's common sense. Only the one thought that a lot of them have is to go on holiday and forget about the pandemic.

Closing the border to India at the same time as Bangladesh and Pakistan would have helped. But no, so now we are watching the numbers grow rapidly. If the virus becomes immune to the vaccine we will be back to square one.

• Sad
Reactions: PiP

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
The trouble is a lot of stupid tourists are coming here. Today, we had lunch at the quayside in Alvor while waiting for Mr. PiPs car to be repaired. To pass the time we 'observed' people's behaviour. We were speechless. Red lobster morons with no masks swanning around with no respect for others. You could identify the locals as most wear masks on the quayside walk, and respect the rules of sanitizing hands and wearing a mask before entering the cafe to use the toilets. The only time we remove the mask is to eat or drink. We leave the table and the mask is worn. Not all the locals are perfect... it's human nature.

I watched the waitress as she carefully sanitized tables and chairs as people left. I laughed when she chastised one obnoxious family for not respecting the rules. She slammed the hand sanitiser down on their table. The problem we have is that people think that the rules in the UK also apply in Portugal. They don't.

I chatted to the waitress and left her a big tip and told her why. It made her day that someone understood and respected all the extra work complying with the covid rules involved. These restaurants were closed for months and some went out of business. The Staff suffered.

Apparently, the Pfizer vaccine is reasonably effective against the new variant. I have my second jab tomorrow. ... But I have good friends who are afraid to be vaccinated because of side effects, which means with them we will never move beyond the 2m social distance when they come to lunch or coffee. We may be semi-protected but we can still carry the virus. It's a huge responsibility.

Last edited:

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
I'm sorry. You will obviously get the IQ lower than shoe size brigade. If they had any sense they would be holidaying inside the UK until next year. Or at least follow the local rules.

I cant' get over the anti-mask/ anti- vaxx brigade. I mean, really?

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
the IQ lower than shoe size brigade.
Love it! I may borrow that for my next blog post

If they had any sense they would be holidaying inside the UK until next year. Or at least follow the local rules.
We welcome them here if they follow the rules. A couple of weeks ago we were speaking some French people who had just arrived from Paris. All masked up and sanitized. We got talking and I ended up sharing all my local knowledge on the best places to surf and where to hire the equipment. And, various other snippets of local knowledge. Wrote it all down for them and they were delighted!

I fully support people who can't wear masks for genuine medical reasons but I have no patience for those who think COVID is a conspiracy and is a way of controlling people and refuse to wear a mask because it is in breach of their human rights.

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
The IQ-shoe size insult is from fifty years ago at school. Sadly it is still relevant.

I was wondering if we would end up partitioning England, give the 'brigade' their own place to test their ideology in.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
I was wondering if we would end up partitioning England, give the 'brigade' their own place to test their ideology in.
Let them work in the COVID hospital wards without a mask. If/when they contract COVID and, as it only a hoax, there will be no need to treat them as it is all in their mind LoL ...

Xander416

What I can't get over, at least here in America, is the sudden concern for human life they've developed. They've gone from "COVID is a hoax" and "it's no worse than the flu" to "the vaccine is killing people!" (the questionable veracity of that claim notwithstanding). Where was this concern when they were brushing off thousands of deaths a day or when this sickening display took place?

Featured-Image-Templates-1.png

bazz cargo

Retired Supervisor
What I can't get over, at least here in America, is the sudden concern for human life they've developed. They've gone from "COVID is a hoax" and "it's no worse than the flu" to "the vaccine is killing people!" (the questionable veracity of that claim notwithstanding). Where was this concern when they were brushing off thousands of deaths a day or when this sickening display took place?

Featured-Image-Templates-1.png
It demonstrates the power of stories. Reminder to writers, be careful out there.

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
I fully support people who can't wear masks for genuine medical reasons
I could probably get a genuine mask exemption if I really wanted to but I wear one anyway. We all need to do what we can to get through all this but too many people are just plain selfish.

The anti-vaxxers have been around for a long time but the scale of the current vaccine rollout has sent them into apoplexy!

I've had both my vaccine jabs and I'm absolutely fine. Now, excuse me whilst I go off and purchase lots of Microsoft products. 🤪