Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Illiad And The Oddesy (1 Viewer)

Elvenswordsman

WF Veterans
Homer. Amazing writer, don't you think? and those immateur punks who thinks this is homer simpson get a life as that is an old joke...
Whats your favorite part in either or both?

Crazy_dude6662

the oddesy, i had to read the illiad for the Junior Cert and it was SOOOOOO BORING!!!!!!!!

what abotu the aneid, i like that too, just started reading it

Achilles

Homer isn't even proven to have existed, and if he did exist the copies we have today of his epics are nothing like the original tellings. First of all he was a storyteller, not a writer, and most of the enjoyment was in the telling. In spite of that, the Odyssey and Iliad are both great works.

Graff

Most of the writers at that time used pseudonyms anyways. Most of their real names aren't known.

Hodge

pliable
Homer was most probably a real person, but he didn't write the tales down. They were an oral tradition for hundreds of years before they were written down. The Aeneid, however, was written by Virgil and meant entirely to capture the style of Homer's works.

Stewart

Have you guys, with the exception of Achilles, read what the real books are actually called?

A

Aevin

Well ... I never would have read those books on my own, and I may not read them again, but I really enjoyed them when I took a class on them awhile ago. All kinds of English and American literature allude to them or mimic them stylistically (Milton's Paradise Lost comes to mind). I've even used some things from them in my own work.

Oh ... And it was required in my class to be able to spell "Iliad," "Odyssey" and "Aeneid." Although I'm sure I've made some horrific mistake just for this and will be mocked accordingly. :roll:

Penelope

With a name like Penelope the Odyssey was required reading and I enjoyed it so much I went on to the Illiad. Neither book was referred to when I reached secondary school but it was irrelevant.

There aren't many other 'classics' that I've read and I hestitate to determine which fits into that catagory because a 'classic' to me is a book I can read several times. I could barely choke down Charles Dickens once and couldn't even finish any of Jane Austen's, matter of fact I'd barely began before I became bored to tears.

Hodge

pliable
Jane Austen... Her stuff is only classic because they were the first melodramatic romance novels.

Homer's works are just so damn sexy. My only problem with them is that Odysseus really is just a gigantic prick (Achilles, too), and the extreme patriarchy that was Greek society bleeds in to the stories (the same with The Aeneid, but it's not quite as bad and Aeneas isn't quite as big a dick as Odysseus).

I have a fun question regarding Achilles. Who can tell me where the myth of him getting shot in the heel with an arrow came from? It wasn't in The Iliad, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't in The Aeneid (but that's where we got the Trojan Horse myth from).

A

Aevin

I don't know the names of them, but I know there are other literatures about the Trojan war which probably talk about it--I do remember teachers describing the things which happened between the Iliad and the Odyssey, or the Iliad and the Aeneid, for example. I do know some of the Greek tragedies dealt with it--what was the name of the one about the wife of Priam, the Trojan King, after the war?

Achilles

Hodge said:
I have a fun question regarding Achilles. Who can tell me where the myth of him getting shot in the heel with an arrow came from? It wasn't in The Iliad, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't in The Aeneid (but that's where we got the Trojan Horse myth from).
No idea. I've always wondered where it came from, and what the "true" story abou this death was since the Iliad does not cover it. How did he die, anyway?

I'm having a bit of an identity crisis here.

Users who are viewing this thread