Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova (1 Viewer)

Saraneth

Elizabeth Kostova's debut novel, The Historian flooded the literary market back in the summer.

I searched the forums for any topics regarding this particular work, and found none. Therefore, I'm starting one!

I recently finished this book, and I found it to be overly long and overwrought. It was highly interesting at parts, but the end was entirely improbable, even for a book that combines historical and supernatural elements.

What did the rest of you think? And furthermore, how historically accurate is this book?

I finished it as well, just today, actually. (And I just did a search on the forums for it today as well, which brought me to this thread).

I thought it was a good book, the length didn't bother me. I did find the constant anti- soviet messages very annoying, and I also felt that the conclusion left something to be desired. I don't know how to say this without giving away what happens, but in particular I wish the first part of the epilogue had been left out.

Saraneth

That's precisely what I felt! The ending, to me, went a bit too far into the supernatural. I liked it MUCH better whan the vampiric elements were more closely entwined with reality, instead of just... thrown at you at the end.