Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Great Gatsby (1 Viewer)

Banzai

For my English course next year I have to read F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby". Whilst I am waiting to get hold of a copy of this book, I

Stewart

With any luck, I'm going to read it tomorrow. It's one of those books I've wanted to read but I wasn't in one of the classes that read it at school.

Fantasy of You

Never heard of it, although I hate the books the schools force you to read for courswork ect. They are always crap, so I probably wouldn;t enjoy it anyway. No offence, lol

JoshuaOst

Fantasy of You said:
Never heard of it, although I hate the books the schools force you to read for courswork ect. They are always crap, so I probably wouldn;t enjoy it anyway. No offence, lol
How have you not heard of The Great Gatsby? It's one of the greatest books of all time! And I would have to disagree with you, The Catcher In The Rye, 1984, and Of Mice and Men (just to name a few) were all great books that I had to read for school.

DrKilljoy

Incredibly good book.
One of the best books I've ever read. I saw the movie (the one with Robert Redford) after I read the book and I'll have to say, the movie wasn't to bad.
I'd recomend the book to anybody.

Banzai

Ok, I finished reading it sometime this afternoon, and yes I thought it was very good. The begining seemed a little rambling, but I've known worse, and the characters were fantastically developed, especially Gatsby.

J

John Allen

Amen!

Let me just add my voice to those who have praised "The Great Gatsby." What a masterpiece in regards to structure and manipulation of time. And while it would be considered a suspense novel, it certainly grips you and makes you want to know who Gatsby really is.

And the prose is so lyrical. How about the description of the lawn "racing" to the house, over fences, and, whimsically becoming ivy, running up the side of the house...? Fitzgerald could really write...My favorite Fitzgerald story: "The Lees of Happiness" (where he creates an incredibly bittersweet mood)...and my favorite comic Fitzgerald story: "The Camel's Back."

aliceedelweiss

It was very good. I liked it a lot. its a boring beginning but gets much better. all the love is great.Seriously i did just put in a spoiler. Don't read it.
The murders at the end were so surprising...I liked it a lot.
As for schools who make you read books, not ALL of them are bad. And if you don't try new things you won't find anything else to read.

Hodge

pliable
Age of Innocence was one of the worst books I'd ever read. The Great Gatsby took similar subject material and turned it into one of the best books ever written. Good book, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Fitzgerald is the sexy.

Wilderness

Im currently studying it for my yr 12 literature class.
I havent finished reading it yet, but so far it is a piece of literary genius.

Lani

Banzai

aliceedelweiss said:
As for schools who make you read books, not ALL of them are bad. And if you don't try new things you won't find anything else to read.

I wholeheartedly agree; if it wasn't for school, I never would have read "The crucible", which is brilliant. And whilst I did think that Great Expectations was trully awful, I have since realised that it was mostly due to the fact that we only read 3 (not even consecutive) chapters for coursework :p