Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy (1 Viewer)

Hodge

pliable
A true post-modernist work! A non-traditional structure (we know the end and the middle right in the beginning, while the middle and end go back to the beginning and middle), made up words (infinnate! Stoppited!), and all sorts of neat wordplay and structure play throughout.

The story revolves around Estha and Rahel, two fraternal twins who've been separated since age seven, and now, twenty-three years later, they both come back to the village they grew up in. But now Estha is a sullen man who hasn't spoken a word in years and prefers to do housework than "manly" work, and Rahel is a divorcee who finds herself unable to emotionally connect with people.

To find out how the two became the way that they are, we are shown a series of events that took place when they were seven years old, and even though we know what's going to happen, we don't know how. And in the present day, we see Rahel trying desperately to connect with Estha once more, so the intrigue is two-fold.

It takes place mostly in India. Post-colonial India where Communism, nationalism, capitalism, globalization, family life, and archaic Indian caste systems all come into conflict with one another.

Damn good book. It's very poignant: at times making you laugh, at times making you cringe, and at times making you cry. It's a book about children, but it's definitely not for children.

Go read it.

:5star:

Mr. Blix

Read this

I read this in college. I thought it was pretty decent. I still remember the line, "hairy fairies with lethal wands" or at least that image was pretty powerful.

I think that I was pretty lucky because we read the novel in a world lit class and the professor was Indian. She gave us a lot of insight into her culture and in turn made it into a pretty worthwhile experience.

I can say it's not the kind of book I would have ever picked up on my own though.

strangedaze

Read it for my poco class. I love what she does with language. Breathtaking. And the ending is touching and makes me feel uncomfortable. Two becoming one indeed.