Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Glimpse (1 Viewer)

Namyh

The Glimpse

Would you take the grand step ‘cross the sky
to stars whose sparkles beckon
and sever the umbilical cord of gravity,
be awed by planetary majesty,
embrace God’s endless silvern tapestry
and escape Earth’s pull each second?

Then step on soil of a distant star,
first footprint at Heaven’s gate.
For centuries, you pointed to journey there
to catch that glimpse of God so rare.
Now your arrow, man made of tensiled gear,
is a star leaping Ark of Faith.

And tho’ you’re a faint echo of a tiny whisper
in the thunder of Time called Man;
a trembling leaf on an outstretched branch,
a blade of grass on dry land,
a corner patch on some crazy quilt
where good and evil reign.
But greatest wonder, your relentless search
to jump the stars in a single lurch,
to sit on God’s cosmic perch
and view the Earth again!

Namyh

Last edited:
The Glimpse

Would you take the grand step ‘cross the sky
to stars whose sparkles beckon
and sever the umbilical cord of gravity,
be awed by planetary majesty,
embrace God’s endless silvern tapestry
and escape Earth’s pull each second?

Then step on soil of a distant star,
first footprint at Heaven’s gate.
For centuries, you pointed to journey there
to catch that glimpse of God so rare.
Now your arrow, man made of tensiled gear,
is a star leaping Ark of Faith.

And tho’ you’re a faint echo of a tiny whisper
in the thunder of Time called Man;
a trembling leaf on an outstretched branch,
a blade of grass on dry land,
a corner patch on some crazy quilt
where good and evil reign.
But greatest wonder, your relentless search
to jump the stars in a single lurch,
to sit on God’s cosmic perch
and view the Earth again!

Namyh
This poem draws me to a faraway place where I really want to go...
"And tho you're a faint echo of a tiny whisper"---I love this line...so poignant so true. It really resonates. thank you for sharing.

Kain

An interesting Poem Namyh. It's good to see a poet trying to think outside the box. I like it that your poem is trying to encapsulate something much bigger than yourself. Respect.

Namyh

Kain - Every poet of worth should often step out of the box to see perspectives not seen before and maybe then write some words not written before, Thanks Kain for spendin' a spell. Namyh

Namyh

Undercover - Sometimes a dream gives us a peek at what might be and we poets will certainly write about it. Glad you enjoyed U. Namyh

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
I enjoyed reading this as it evoked feelings of both distance and closeness simultaneously. I like the reference to gravity as an umbilical cord.
The rhyme and half-rhyme work well, but there were a couple of places where it felt slightly contrived. I was wondering if at the end of stanza 1 where 'each second' appears, something about a reckoning/reckoned might be an alternative in keeping with the poem's flavour.
Although heaven's gate is a reasonable concept for such a poem, it pulled me up as there was a religious cult of that name where 39 members committed suicide , though I imagine most readers wouldn't make that association (I'm weird!).

This poem was a very enjoyable read. Thanks.

Torus34

The partial rhyme's interesting. Lines 19-21, end-rhymed, set up and add finality to the last line.

An amateur astronomer, line 7 jarred a tad. -- a verbal hot foot. ;-)

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

Last edited:

Namyh

Phil - Mighty proud you felt distance and closeness at the same time and enjoyed the read. As for the "each second", I included that because to escape the 'umbilical cord of gravity", you have to travel at 7.1 miles per second "each second". Thanks for taking a glimpse over this way and spendin' a spell. Namyh
P.S. - I remember that Heaven's Gate religious cult too. We live in weird times here on Mother Earth.