Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Giver (1 Viewer)

JP Wagner

One of my favorite modern books is the Giver by Lois Lowry. I'm sure some people here have read it. Tell me what you think about it.

aliceedelweiss

I have to say, (and I hope I don't get yelled at for this) but I hated it. It wasn't bad I just didn't like it. It was just too bland for me.

but I read it 3 years ago so maybe my opinions would change now. Not to say I'll pick it up again.

JP Wagner

lol to be honest, when I first read it, which was in 8th grade. I hated it too, however, I found it was just that my mind had not properly expanded yet.

Its far from bland actually, its a good sign of what our society could become if we let it happen. It also helps us to appreciate the simple choices we have every day.

My suggestion is take a look again, 3 years is a long time, your opinions very well could have changed. ^.^

ProudestMonkey

Yeah, I know the exact feeling. I read it for school one summer, agreed how bad it was with all my friends, and then picked it up a year or two ago, and now I love it. You'd be surprised how much your view on a book can change after a few years.

aliceedelweiss

well...maybe. I remember I hated the way it ended and I was damn sure I could write a better story with the plot she had. And back then, I wrote crap, and swore it was gold. maybe in a while, but I never pick up YA books anymore...so who knows.
Alice

crash

I loved it. I loved it in year six, I love it now, though as I recall a lot of my classmates hated it. I'm a sucker for a well-written dystopia, though, and once the Giver explained the change the main character (Jonas? Jonah?) was going through, that was it for me.

Personally, I thought the ending was hopeful. Everyone I've spoken to has said the ending was sad. (Am I allowed to spoil?) I always pictured it the opposite way, and it turns out that's how Lowry intended it to be interpreted.

They are making a movie out of this, probably due out around the same time as The Golden Compass. Going to be a great winter for alternative fantasy. Jeff Bridges is supposed to be playing the Giver, which is just all kinds of tragic.

JP Wagner

well actually thats what I origionally thought about the ending too, but Lois Lowry actually wrote two companion books for the giver. It is in fact a trilogy and Jonas does come back in the end. So he DIDN'T die. heh.

crash

Was Gathering Blue a companion book? I've got Messenger waiting on my nightstand and I figured she would bring them all together, but I was under the impression she stuck the reference to him in there just to clear things up.

ProudestMonkey

No, they're a trilogy.

Loislowry.com said:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With the 2004 publication of MESSENGER, the trilogy that begins with THE GIVER is complete. Jonas and Kira are grown, and have met, at last. Of course every good book leaves one wondering, and the conclusion of the trilogy will, as well.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

JoshuaOst

Actually when I read it in 7th grade I loved it but when I read it again it didn't have as much appeal as it used to for me.

Atom

I read it in 4th grade and from what i remember, it was excellent. It was the first book i remember enjoying. Maybe ill reread it.

Amour

I read The Giver in school (6th or 7th grade) when it was "cool" to hate reading. I despised this book, due to my friends’ opinions of it, and my general lack of interest. Then, years later, my sisters started reading it, so I decided to pick it up again.

It was a very short read: I read the whole book in about 2 and a-half hours. And I did definitely enjoy it. I thought that the book had some very deep, thought provoking, and truly interesting (not to mention: frighteningly realistic) ideas. I generally thought this was well written (for the intended group, anyway) and would recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it.

I did, however, have a few complaints. The big thing that hindered the book’s potential to be great, in my opinion, was the lack of character development, and the development of Jonas' "job/position", "deep concerns" for the community, and lastly, his plan. I thought that these things needed more depth, and time to sink in. It just didn't feel genuine; it felt a bit rushed and jumpy. I thought that Jonas' concerns and plan were introduced to quickly, and rashly, though I did enjoy the "twist/kink" in the plan, which cleared a path for a good ending. I, unlike most, did enjoy the ending, even though I felt that was a little rushed and jumpy, too.
(Sorry for being vague. I don't want to put any spoilers in :p)

Overall I enjoyed The Giver, and as I stated earlier, I think it is a good, and important read for anyone and everyone.

Cearo

I hated it the first time I picked it up. Read it again, still hated it. Read it again, understood exactly what it was about had a moment of wow and hated it. I'm just not sure why it doesn't work for me. I think it might be the whole passing of memories thing. Who in their right f#($ing minds would give up their memories?

S

Saya

Now this was a good book! I read it, and then I told my brothers to read it, so they did. I like it because its something different, something you wouldn't really expect. I also read "Gathering Blue" the companion book to "The Giver". I found it to be very good as well.

The one thing I didn't like about the book, however, was that it gave you no definate ending. That bugs me personaly, not knowing what happened to the characters. I guess it makes you use your imagination though.

aspiring

*has moment of realisation*

I have read both of these but never realised they were part of a trilogy! Gathering Blue is still on my shelf - must hunt out The Giver at my local library and read them both again.
Duh! Maybe I read them several years apart...

S

starryskybc

I liked it, but hated the ending. And since there's no direct sequel (Gathering Blue and The Messenger aren't true sequels), I always felt like I was missing out on something.

T

The Ill-Made Knight

I, like almost everyone, enjoyed the book but was frustrated by the ending. I need to go read Gathering Blue now....

Arin

I read it a couple of years ago for school and I thought it was wonderful. I don't know whether my opinion would change if I read it now, but I think it is a very meticulous, thought-provoking book. And I did like the ending too, which was, as someone said, very hopeful and uplifting.

Spherical Time

I didn't like the metaphysics that she used, but it was a good critique of a certain kind of culture. I don't think it went far enough, in some respects.

C

(c) 2001

In my personal opinion, bearing in mind I probably wasn't ten when I read it for the first time, it was a brilliant piece of work. The underlying meanings simply don't end - and the anilitical thinking of the author awes me. Over all probably one of the best books I've ever read, for intelect sake if anything.