Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The genius that is satire... (1 Viewer)

Manx

I'm on the look out for good modern satirical authors. Some say satire is dead - I say it's very much alive, and I'm sure there are some great modern day satire writers out there just waiting for me to become obsessed with their work.

I've read the likes of Will Self, Tom Sharpe, David Sedaris, Martin Millar, Tom Holt and loved them all. However, I now want to try someone new.

Any recommendations?

I've heard good things about Carl Hiaasen but haven't yet come across any of his stuff in bookshops. Anyone read anything of his? If it's worth it I'll order.

Manx

Thanks for these names. I'm not a fan of Terry Pratchett, but the rest I'll look up. Helen Fielding is an obvious one that never really crossed my mind, so thanks - much appreciated!

M

mtpscwriter

I highly recommend Carl Hiaasen's work. There are ten now (not including his three non-fiction books and the young adult book he wrote). Start with, well anything!

My least favorite is "Basket Case." My favorite is the latest one which will be out in paperback in June. It's called "Skinny Dip."

It is really hard to me to recommend any one of them alone.

Since his work will be new to you, I envy you! But they're great the second, third, and fourth times as well.

You may also want to check out a writer named Christopher Moore.

Hodge

pliable
Jonathan Swift! "A Modest Proposal" totally blew my mind when I first read it. Baby eating in the 18th century? Unheard of! And recipes to boot!

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller is simply amazing as well. The funniest book I have ever read.

gohn67

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller is simply amazing as well. The funniest book I have ever read.
I agree. 70 pages and I'm done. I really started enjoying it more towards the end.