Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Fear of The Novel (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
I remember when I first started writing my 3 (unfinished) novels and looked at where I was and where I needed to get in order to call what I was writing a novel. It was daunting and scary. But put in perspective, it's not actually that daunting. During my time on this forum alone, I've written 25,000 words. That's half of a short novel and a quarter of a long novel. The only really scary part is writing that number of words for only ONE story.

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall.
- Ray Bradbury

I'm still taking that year to hone my writing skills but the next project after 'Apparition' is going to be chapter one of a novel I'm going to be writing after that year is over. Temporary title 'The Sixth Chamber'.

JJBuchholz

Fear might actually be a small part of the reason keeping me from starting a novel, mainly because it's a daunting task that didn't
end well for me the last time I made an attempt.

-JJB

JBF

Staff member
Board Moderator
I'm not sure I fear writing a novel-length work so much as I fear not understanding it. Getting the words out isn't the issue - it's having a foundation for the characters and events that follow.

Once I thought I could knock out the three major pieces and come back to fill in the pre-novel stuff with a loose collection of shorts. As it happens, I've figured out that doing the shorts first allows a better understanding of why the longer works play out like they do. I need those to inform later developments, which if nothing else means I'd probably never be able to writing something and go back to wedge in prequels.

Ain't OCD fun?

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
I'm not sure I fear writing a novel-length work so much as I fear not understanding it. Getting the words out isn't the issue - it's having a foundation for the characters and events that follow.

Once I thought I could knock out the three major pieces and come back to fill in the pre-novel stuff with a loose collection of shorts. As it happens, I've figured out that doing the shorts first allows a better understanding of why the longer works play out like they do. I need those to inform later developments, which if nothing else means I'd probably never be able to writing something and go back to wedge in prequels.

Ain't OCD fun?

i can relate. I wrote short stories about my early life for two years before starting on Dark Side of Joy ( my first novel).

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Well - what's holding you back?

Haha...that is the million dollar question! Not so much something 'holding back'...more like finding the self-discipline to keep going. Everything else I have done that is challenging, has some sort of a hard deadline. This one does not. I haven't really figured out how to deal with that aspect of it yet. Ideas?

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Haha...that is the million dollar question! Not so much something 'holding back'...more like finding the self-discipline to keep going. Everything else I have done that is challenging, has some sort of a hard deadline. This one does not. I haven't really figured out how to deal with that aspect of it yet. Ideas?

Although it sounds horrid, I impose deadlines on myself. I also have time set aside everyday to work on my writing projects - I'm retired though, so what I do probably isn't possible for most others. Still, try to set a schedule for regular times you will work on your novel.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Although it sounds horrid, I impose deadlines on myself. I also have time set aside everyday to work on my writing projects - I'm retired though, so what I do probably isn't possible for most others. Still, try to set a schedule for regular times you will work on your novel.

Yeah, it should be though. When I did my accounting designation I went to night school while working full-time and raising a kid. Somehow that seemed easier...lol! Anyway thanks for kicking my butt, I just put my 'do not disturb' on and hammered out 450 words! OK...back to work....

Cephus

The second you do it once, you realize that it really isn't that hard. You need to be self-motivated to get going, but once you know that it isn't a big deal, all of that fear vanishes. Ever time I start a new novel, the road ahead looks very long. Two weeks later and half-way through, it's not a problem and by the end, I'm ready to get working on the next one.

The fear is completely unwarranted.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I just want to point out, this thread wasn't to express why own fear of writing a novel, it was to show people who would maybe consider it daunting, it's not really. :)

Sorry AZ, I didn't mean to create fear! :)

It's a very rewarding thing to do and I encourage anyone considering it to do it! There is lots of support here on WF too. Every time I fall down they pick me back up....

Last edited:

TheMightyAz

Mentor
Sorry AZ, I didn't mean to create more fear! :)

It's a very rewarding thing to do and I encourage anyone considering it to do it! There is lots of support here on WF too. Every time I fall down they pick me back up....

That was just a general comment. :) I just noticed it was turning into a 'me' thread again and wanted to avert it. lol

edit: although, having scanned it again, it's turned back into a general discussion.

Bagit

Perhaps think of it more like building scenes that can incorporate into a novel. I do way shorter than novel length, but I've got a few that could be mingled into one fantasy realm and built upon, if I so choose.

Let the words build, the scenes flow out with intrigue/action/comedy/drama/horror, etc. Make your characters stand out. See where that takes you.

Status
Not open for further replies.