Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The end may be in sight. (2 Viewers)

ErikFite

So, when I sat down in July and hammered out those first few pages, I was not expecting to be where i am today, because I had absolutely no idea where it was going or even what I was doing. All I knew then was that I've always wanted to write a novel, always knew I had one in me, but had never so much as finished even a short story since my college days. To give you an idea, none of you millennials were born when I got out of college. A big part of it is that I've always had a problem finishing what I've started. Not a good trait for any kind of writer. So this s not about getting it published or even worrying about whether another person ever reads it. It's 100% about finishing it. So I write every day. I set my goal to 2000 words, but sometimes it's only a page or two. I decided about a month ago that holding myself to 2000 words a day was causing me to force it and some it is was a little ragged. I decided I'd rather go for quality over quantity so I'm still keeping track of my daily work count, I'm just no longer beating myself up if it's less than four pages, but it's better writing.

Fast forward to four months later. I expect the book to have three parts. Part one is complete (four chapters, 143 manuscript, pages 88655 words, one complete edit) and Part Two (eight years after the events of part one, five chapters, 170 manuscript pages, 101765 words, not thoroughly edited) is almost complete. I have the ending chapter written. Though, it's funny, those first few pages I wrote, that got me started, are actually now the epilogue of this book to potentially set up another book.

I'm 313 pages in and feel like with Part Three, which I have sort of fleshed out in my brain and some notes for some of the character arks, I can get from where I am in the narrative, to how I wrote the ending, with another hundred and fifty or so pages.

But if nothing else, I've come to a crossroads though. If I do write the second book, I'm going to figure out a way to quit my day job. I'm mentally f-ing exhausted.

VRanger

Staff member
Administrator
You finished your first novel more quickly than I did ... much more quickly. ;-) While I'm not quite sure if you're advising us it's complete--because of the way you described the parts--with the word counts you mentioned, you may actually have TWO books with another on the way!

No matter which it is, that's a LOT of writing, and congratulation on being able to bear down and get it done. Finishing is often the hardest task for a first novel.

ErikFite

You finished your first novel more quickly than I did ... much more quickly. ;-) While I'm not quite sure if you're advising us it's complete--because of the way you described the parts--with the word counts you mentioned, you may actually have TWO books with another on the way!

No matter which it is, that's a LOT of writing, and congratulation on being able to bear down and get it done. Finishing is often the hardest task for a first novel.
It's definitely one book that is right now about two thirds complete. None of the "parts" make a complete novel. Think TV miniseries. You need all three episodes to tell the entire story.
Part one is a lot of character development and plot generation. This sets up part two, which takes place eight years later. Part two has most of the action but our main characters are mostly on the defensive and reacting to threats. Part two also has the villain character revealed towards the end, page 280 where the nature of the threats begins to make sense. Then part three is the resolution where the protagonists are finally able to go on the offensive and maybe get the upper hand.

Megan Pearson

So this s not about getting it published or even worrying about whether another person ever reads it. It's 100% about finishing it. So I write every day. I set my goal to 2000 words, but sometimes it's only a page or two. I decided about a month ago that holding myself to 2000 words a day was causing me to force it and some it is was a little ragged.
That's amazing. You're just allowing yourself to write and you're changing through the process. What a great example for the rest of us!

But if nothing else, I've come to a crossroads though. If I do write the second book, I'm going to figure out a way to quit my day job. I'm mentally f-ing exhausted.
I can't help laughing. Writing can be like that. It's all that focus. I'm convinced that people who don't write just don't get it--it's work. (Some conversations with co-workers who didn't know that I write come to mind: "wow, so-and-so just cranks out those books! Must be nice, not having anything else to do all day but tell stories!" Uh-uh. It takes skill and craftsmanship and a whole lot of focus and dedication to bring any writing project to completion.)

Good job ErikFite!