Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Elegant Universe- By Brian Greene (1 Viewer)

Gafgarian

In a word: Fantastic

Honestly, I haven't finished it yet, I bought it last night around nine for $15.95 at Barnes & Noble and despite work, an argument with my girlfriend, and sleeping...I have managed to cruise through the first 125 pages of this 400+ page book complete with Notes, Glossary of Scientific Terms, an Index, and a complete Bibliography.

Although deeply rooted in the theories and mathematical constructs of modern physics and Quantum Mechanics, Greene does a truly "elegant" job of translating every minute, and possibly bewildering, detail of these theories into everyday analogies that even someone with little to no knowledge of Astrophysics and the foundations behind it can comprehend. Personally, I have always had an interest in the realms of these vastly inexplicable phenomenon which govern our universe, but my true knowledge of the extent of such formulas was virtually nothing...to say the least.

I would recommend this book in a heartbeat to anyone who has ever been even remotely interested in the ramblings of Einstein or the proofs of Niels Bohr...the wide range of subjects discussed and described in detail in nearly every area of modern physics would also serve as a truly welcome research point for all who plan on writing along the lines of Science Fiction or even Time Travel (which I suppose would actually fall in the same category).

Either way...fantastic book.

journyman161

I agree wholeheartedly. Greene is an elegant thinker who is still in touch with normal folk & he does a great job in reducing what is after all virtually pure math down to straightforward concepts.

I would dearly love to see a scifi book from him. He writes very well.

ThatSmokingGuy

I think this'll be the next book I check out. I love this kind of stuff, and being I'm one of those normal folk (I hope!) I think this might appeal. I'm guessing it's kind of like Hawkings, Brief Theory of Time in the way it tackles complex stuff for the layman?