Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Complete Guide To Writing Fantasy (1 Viewer)

DavidGil

Not sure whether to put this in tips and advice or here but with it being a book reccomendation, here goes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Guide-Writing-Fantasy-1/dp/1896944094/ref=sr_1_1/203-6197496-2493564?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180519736&sr=1-1

I got this book today in the post and figured it might be worth reccomending to people that are just starting to write fantasy. Not sure how much help it might be to people who are experienced and know their stuff but it does contain references in my view even for people that are experienced.

List of chapters in the book:

Roots of fantasy
Characterisation
Living world
Race creation
World building
Fantasy without cliches
Plot construction
Medieval clothing
Medieval food
Health and hygiene
Magic
Mythology
Religion
Arms & armour
Combat
Martial arts and fantasy
Humour in fantasy
Research
Market resources

Please do keep in mind that as I suggest the book I'm only up to the world building section and there's 361 pages so I haven't had enough time to read the book word for word.

I believe there's reviews of the book on amazon.com if you want to hear people's views of it.

Anyways, just wanted to suggest the book for anyone looking for tips though I'm not sure how good it is compared to other books of this type.

Edit: Oh, it also contains links to websites for resource and research reasons, though I haven't checked the reccomended sites. ;)

Last edited:

lisajane

Seems like a good start for those wanting to write fantasy, perhaps for those who are looking for more ideas.