Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Colon & Semi-Colon (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawn

Patron
The Colon
:

The colon can be used to introduce: a list, explanation or definition.

Code:
WF.com improves many things: your writing, your reading and your sex drive.
--
There's only one thing I want: to dance!
--
Write: (verb) To spill your guts for an unappreciative public.

A colon will always follow an independant clause. If you're wondering whether or not to use a colon, try taking the first clause of your sentence (before the colon) independantly. It might feel incomplete by itself, but grammatically should nonetheless have a subject and predicate. You cannot follow a dependant clause with a colon.

The Semi-colon
;

The semi-colon is primarily used to join two independant clauses. It allows us as authors to imply a relationship between two similar ideas without actually stating that relationship.

Code:
I hate maths; she hates art.

The semi-colon is also commonly used to join clauses via a transition.

Code:
WF.com is a great place; in addition, the members are gorgeous.
I love sea-food; therefore, I shall order prawns.
Love is tiring; however, it's good for the heart.

You might also want to use semi-colons to order a list as below:

Code:
WF.com has many kind members with charming interests: Dark Aevin, sadism; daniela, The Doors; eleutheromaniac, the Red Sox; Penelope, history; Farror, squash; Hollyoake, Garfield...

Status
Not open for further replies.