Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Bible (1 Viewer)

rashadow

Taken as myth or just a story the bible is extremely entertaining. Especially the Old Testament when God was super petty and unashamedly wrathful. The storys are of all sorts too. There are heros and villains rape murder pillage, fire and brimstone. Prophets dragons and sex. As well as many happy endings and all types of shit. There are even allusions to things that are never talked about any more in the bible, like the Nephelim (I think that's what they were called). The offspring of angels and humans, mentioned once in the bible and never again.

For the writer it can be a springboard for almost any type of story imaginable and has already been so for hundreds of years. Even to just quote some of the passages in your work sets your story on a whole new level of meaning.

If you don't have one, I suggest you pick one up or steal one from your nearest hotel motel holiday inn (and remember to thank the Gideons). Get you a highliter and get to work.

Vixen

Ha! Good pioint. I just hope no on etakes the idea of stealing one from a hotel too seriously. Goodwill has lots of cheap Bibles, as do many used book stores. Even for the non-religious out there, it is a good read.

Lupin3

We're all religious, baby. Some of us just don't think there's a god - or that god runs for office... :wink:

sully474

I think the Bible is all bull, that none ever happened, and that it was made up by a few guys who wanted people to have better lives, so they wrote up little rules for people to be better off with.

MisterRaziel

It always seemed cheap to me to quote bible passages in fiction if the story isn't related to judeo-christian religion or themes. It's like quoting Blake in a short story if the story has nothing to do with Blake or the poem.

While we're at it, why not throw in a few quotes from the Quran or the Bhagavad Gita?

But that's just cynical old me.

rashadow

I think that adding quotes from religious texts and or poetry really add to the atmosphere of the story. Even if the story isn't about that particular religion or person or poem. As long as somehow the quote ties into the narrative in some way. Most religious texts contain real world advice or generally accepted knowledge, but it is usually stated in some flowery way that just seems more appealing to the mind.

You feel me?

MisterRaziel

Sort of. But only slightly. I've seen quotes and biblical material used to great effect in stories, but it always seems like a bit of a sucker punch.

I've never been a fan of cheap measures. It's necessary to quote in a scholarly paper, but when I'm writing a story, I tend to avoid using other people's words to tell my tale.

rashadow

I understand what you are saying but I love qoutes. I love em especially when they are at the beginning of a chapter. I always wanted someone to begin a nice dark tale that starts with the qoute "qouth the raven, nevermore".

eleutheromaniac

MisterRaziel said:
It always seemed cheap to me to quote bible passages in fiction if the story isn't related to judeo-christian religion or themes. It's like quoting Blake in a short story if the story has nothing to do with Blake or the poem.

While we're at it, why not throw in a few quotes from the Quran or the Bhagavad Gita?

But that's just cynical old me.

Religion is a philosophy that is all encompassing. So, really, whatever the topic of the story is, these religious texts relate to it in some way.

Webmaster said:
There will never be another book as well written or as influential as the bible.

Augmented Reality, coming soon! Just kidding

rashadow said:
I understand what you are saying but I love qoutes. I love em especially when they are at the beginning of a chapter. I always wanted someone to begin a nice dark tale that starts with the qoute "qouth the raven, nevermore".

I used quotes from various sources to start each of my chapters in Augmented Reality, and they all relate to the book as a whole and the chapter it proceeds specifically. For my next book, I'm attempting to come up with my own aphorisms to begin each chapter.

W

wgjones3

rashadow, the nephelim are referenced more frequenly in the apocryphal book of Enoch. The Ethiopian version of this book is readily availible online, but apparently there's debate as to the origins of it. Some say it's a Sumarian writing, some say it's an outright fraud. The fact that it is referenced in the Bible illustrates that it was in circualtion at around the same time the Bible was written.

If you're interested, do a search on Google and you'll find a lot of information on it.

As far as the Bible as literature goes, I find it facinating that the King James Version is probably the most widely distributed piece of ancient English literature in the world. Myself, I prefer one of the newer translations (right now my favorite is the New Living Translation), but the Psalms in KJV are poetic to say the least.

D

death.mage

I really enjoy reading the bible, as a matter of fact I think I've read it about 7-9 times!! I'm not actually religious though.

Wouldn't quoting off the Bible seem kind of cheap if your book really doesn't have anything religious?

Tori

My parents were so bad at teaching us about the Christian religion that when I was nine and went on a trip with them to Washington DC I pulled it out of the drawer in the hotel and said, "Mom what's the Holly Bibble?"

Bad enough I didn't know what it was, but I made it even worse by pronouncing it in a most horrible way. I thought it was some weird Christmas book that someone left behind. hehe

Most of what I learned about the bible I learned from musicals like Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar (so my knowledge is tweaked at best). I did open the thing up once and was shocked and appalled that no one has translated it into present day English or even Engrish for that matter! How am I expected to read such a lengthy book with such tiny text and five billion thee, thou, shall's? I read in this thread that there is a New Living Translation but I'm simply afraid of what that even means. The bible might be a great book but it is not very user friendly...oh the irony!

Spudley

Tori said:
Most of what I learned about the bible I learned from musicals like Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar (so my knowledge is tweaked at best).

'Tweaked' is an understatement! I don't think either of them should be taken as gospel (pun intended - sorry ;) )

I did open the thing up once and was shocked and appalled that no one has translated it into present day English or even Engrish for that matter! How am I expected to read such a lengthy book with such tiny text and five billion thee, thou, shall's? I read in this thread that there is a New Living Translation but I'm simply afraid of what that even means. The bible might be a great book but it is not very user friendly...oh the irony!

Yeah. I find the Old English versions hard going too (and I'm used to them). The language is very poetic, but not immediately easy to understand, which is really what the point should be.

There's quite a lot of different translations of the Bible in English. The Living translation is okay; not my choice though. The "New International Version" is probably the most widely used modern translation at the moment, but The 'Good News Bible' was deliberately written to be easier to understand, so it probably has the easiest language (unless you count 'The Message', which is the Bible rendered in 'street talk', though it's getting dated quite quickly because of that).

They're all translated from the same original text, though, so the actual stories are the same; just worded differently in each.

Tori

I will have to consider picking a version up and attempting the unimaginable for me. Thanks Spudley for the information. I will let you know at a later date if I continue to thank your post or begin to growl at it while wading through pages of mumbo jumbo'd morals. :shock:

A

Akiko

I personally, agree with every word the Bible has to say, and that every bit of it is true. Even if you do not consider yourself a "religious person" it is still worth the read. Who knows? Maybe you'll change your mind. ;)

rashadow

Bible for entertainment purposes only. The equivalent of reading greek or norse myth. At least that is how it is in the Old Testament.