Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The beginning of a story stops me. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newman

I have a problem, which has been affecting me for some time.
It is my fault.
I have the story, I wrote a lineup, I have the characters, the landscape, I have everything. I also have Scrivner.
The problem?
The beginning.
The beginning of a story stops me. I don't know how to start.
It is my fault.
The beginnings stop me. I could write the whole book already.
Without a beginning though.
I don't know how to get out of this block.

Who are the characters in the beginning? As opposed to who they will be at the end. You start by telling us that and pushing them on a journey to change.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I recommend you try to also buy some books on random genres or topics on special discounts or sales. On Amazon I purchased a 2 dollar book today. Writing what you don't know means reading other books according to a book on creative writing. Amazon has a best deals offer that you can browse in their store ( which is how I plan to read widely). I also saw other books at low prices. Think of what ideas it could trigger if you read those books with the discount. Some are very good and by eminent scholars. I for example chose Paul who was key in creating the church. He has a biography. I chose a biography and maybe I will chose a travel biography in the future. Inspiration can be triggered by cheap books if money is an issue.

The book I mentioned is respectable ( I own it). I have given you the most important information and my interpretation of the book. He has other insights but he is most known for his scene and sequel contributions. Which can help you once you start writing an idea. We are inspired by others. No person is an island by itself. It takes a village to rear a child just to borrow an expression.

Many stories have been written using history such as a song of fire and ice based on the war of the roses in great britain. That book has been well regarded even though there is some controversy with the Hugo awards. George Martin wrote it.

To generate ideas get cheap books and use them as sources of inspiration.

I don't have a library near me.

So I think you share in common with me that the library isn't close to your house. I plan on buying more cheap books. Amazon always has offers.

Also, what you read has conflict because life has conflict. If you don't have anything interesting going on you can always rely on books.

Last edited:

Hector

I had this problem in my latest book. If it helps, I finally started it this way: 'Hell. No, I'm not swearing, fellows. I'm just informing you that our story begins literally in Hell.'

BrandonTheWriter

This is the hardest part for me also.

Once I start, it seems like the words never stop flowing. It's just that first hurdle, It's that beginning that gets me.

ironpony

I usually decide how I want a premise to end, after I come up with the premise. After coming up with the ending, I then try to work my way back to the beginning to try to figure out how to build into that ending.

LadySilence

I got to reflect during these days of celebration.
I want to start the year, writing, without thinking, and without stopping.
I no longer want to let insecurity, and low self-esteem bring me down again.
I have set myself goals.
Writing and publishing my book, in December 2021, I hope to make it.
I want to write, a short story, every month, trying various genres.

This is going to be my year.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I got to reflect during these days of celebration.
I want to start the year, writing, without thinking, and without stopping.
I no longer want to let insecurity, and low self-esteem bring me down again.
I have set myself goals.
Writing and publishing my book, in December 2021, I hope to make it.
I want to write, a short story, every month, trying various genres.

This is going to be my year.

An excellent goal, like the song says "If you don't have a dream how are you going to make a dream come true."

One little crit,
"I no longer want to let insecurity, and low self-esteem bring me down again."
A little bit negative, how about "My self esteem and security are going to help me fly from now on." ?

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
An excellent goal, like the song says "If you don't have a dream how are you going to make a dream come true."
One little crit,
A little bit negative, how about "My self esteem and security are going to help me fly from now on." ?

Ditto.

I don't believe writing a book from start to finish requires a great herculean effort - instead it only takes perseverance. Get your life into a routine, and set aside hours each day to write, and stick to it. Make writing a priority.

Everyday I start writing at 10am, and stop at 6pm (actually a bit earlier to backup my work). Admittedly, some portion of the day is spent goofing around on the web (aka. research), but most of it is writing/editing. I'm not a fast writer, if I can get 1,500 to 2,000 words in each day, that's good.

At that pace, it takes seven to nine months to complete the book - which includes plotting, writing the MS, editing on my own, then working with my editor and cover designer.

LadySilence

One little crit,

I really like the sentence.
You're right Olly.
From today, no more negative thoughts.

Ditto.

I don't believe writing a book from start to finish requires a great herculean effort - instead it only takes perseverance. Get your life into a routine, and set aside hours each day to write, and stick to it. Make writing a priority.

Everyday I start writing at 10am, and stop at 6pm (actually a bit earlier to backup my work). Admittedly, some portion of the day is spent goofing around on the web (aka. research), but most of it is writing/editing. I'm not a fast writer, if I can get 1,500 to 2,000 words in each day, that's good.

At that pace, it takes seven to nine months to complete the book - which includes plotting, writing the MS, editing on my own, then working with my editor and cover designer.

I have chosen times. In the afternoon, for me, it's easier to write.
I have to organize the days.
I am still without a washing machine, (they should arrive in 2 weeks) and without a dryer, this takes away my time.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
We were without a dryer for years, and even now we have one we only use it occasionally for emergencies and things like re-waterproofing. If you have an outside line and keep an eye on the weather it is quite possible, and ecologically desirable. No washing machine though, that is another thing. How on earth do you manage with things like bed-sheets? When I was a little boy all our sheets and shirts got sent to the laundry, but I am not even sure if they exist anymore.

Matchu

Called laundrette in the UK. ‘Service wash’ if you’re feeling wealthy.

Agree about dryers tho’, same with freezers, & microwaves...plus plus-plus plus the George Clooney coffee percolators.

Anyways, you can always wash a heap of clothes in the bath? Do not boil clothes on your hob like I did @ 20 years old of age. Resulting: no clothes.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron

Agree about dryers tho’, same with freezers, & microwaves...plus plus-plus plus the George Clooney coffee percolators.

Anyways, you can always wash a heap of clothes in the bath? Do not boil clothes on your hob like I did @ 20 years old of age. Resulting: no clothes.

I had forgotten launderettes, I actually meant the laundry, things were bundled up and came back washed and pressed a week later. I used to get two shirts and five collars, with collar buttons, to last me the week. The shirts had double cuffs with cuff links that you could fold one way for one day, the other way the next, then decide on Friday which to wear for the third day :)

I guess we have all made some mistake like your clothes boiling, my first scrambled egg was not anything you would want to eat, not a bad rubber substitute. :)

LadySilence

We were without a dryer for years, and even now we have one we only use it occasionally for emergencies and things like re-waterproofing. If you have an outside line and keep an eye on the weather it is quite possible, and ecologically desirable. No washing machine though, that is another thing. How on earth do you manage with things like bed-sheets? When I was a little boy all our sheets and shirts got sent to the laundry, but I am not even sure if they exist anymore.

There is a laundromat.
I use that, in a couple of hours, and everything is perfect.
What I can, I wash it by hand and dry it over the pellet stove, or I use the iron.
Unfortunately, there is too much humidity, and it always rains. I can not do anything else.
I contacted the dealer, they should deliver everything after January 20th.

I started yesterday, the January short story, and did some research for the book.

Matchu

I suggest you begin the story in a laundromat.

If you don’t I will. I like the ‘idea’ of laundromats - not sure tho’ if I’d spin [haw] negative & anxiety, or exciting public space agenda. Probably ‘horror.’

LadySilence

If you don’t I will. I like the ‘idea’ of laundromats - not sure tho’ if I’d spin [haw] negative & anxiety, or exciting public space agenda. Probably ‘horror.’

I like it as an idea.
A short story, in two versions.
A humorous, and a more horror version.

BrandonTheWriter

There was a Punisher short film that started in the laundromat, with Thomas Jane. It was actually pretty great, would recommend.

Matchu

Yes, that was a big deal at the time. Time of the fabulous ‘Diva’ and (very) horrific ‘Absolute Beginners.’

I’d have every intention of writing a ‘Terror at Laundrette’ or ‘Love Among Laundries.’ End up as 800 word spin cycle ‘travelogue.’ Understandable to none, rejected worldwide x 4, drafted toward 2000, and rejected again.

Status
Not open for further replies.