Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Baroque Cycle (1 Viewer)

Jiieden

The Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver, The Confusion, The System of the World), by Neal Stephenson.

They were very good, and complex beyond the wildest dreams of any other author I can offhand remember. Warning: these books are large and random though.

Anarkos

These are best read after Cryptonomican. These three novels are really some nine books rolled up. Very good, if under-edited.

Not Neal Stephenson's best. Snow Crash remains my favourite, closely followed by Zodiac.

Jiieden

It's true, they would profit from the mighty axe of the editor. But still, I kind of love their raw-way-too-much-style. It keeps things unpredictable - on any given page, he might describe, you know, the plot, or perhaps the proper way to eat cereal. Who could ask for more? :)

eggo

Patron
I could.

I tried reading the first book in the series, Quicksilver.

Made it about four/fifths of the way through it and then launched the book across the room. The book wanders around more than a blind man in a pin cushion factory.

Imo,The characters were written barely more than two dimensional. The main characters were always perhipheral to the plot, if there was one.

Who the hell devotes a entire chapter to live dog vivisection?

And he kept coming back to it, God. Only slightly better than the chapter devoted to shyphillis.

I can't wait for the sequel where he investigates the fine art of nose picking.

This book got rave reviews so I picked it up.

I have not launched many books in my life, but this was one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread