Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Bards' Bistro (1 Viewer)

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
Speaking purely for myself here, when I choose which poem to vote for I totally ignore the names. There was a time when a poem might not work for me, but I would assume it must be deep and meaningful because xyz wrote it so the problem must lie with me. I stopped thinking like that some time ago as I'm sure I'm not the only one capable of writing dross.

As for whether the host should be allowed to win the challenge - yes, of course s/he should.

Just my opinion, and we all know that rude saying about opinions :)

rcallaci

Staff member
Administrator
Speaking purely for myself here, when I choose which poem to vote for I totally ignore the names. There was a time when a poem might not work for me, but I would assume it must be deep and meaningful because xyz wrote it so the problem must lie with me. I stopped thinking like that some time ago as I'm sure I'm not the only one capable of writing dross.
ditto for me as well

as for host being able to win the challenge, I kindly disagree- The host should remain impartial- I do remember when I did the PIP I won -always felt funny about that although is not improper at all -I do believe getting myself off the table helps the new blood feel that they are on more of an equal ground, and besides I only won this damn thing once .

A note- this challenge is not about winning it's about celebrating poetry

TuesdayEve

Friends of WF
I prefer all or most challenges to be anonymous. The author is secondary. It’s the poem that makes a difference and stands on its own , isn’t that why we’re here? It’s a good way for newcomers to experiment without embarrassment and a good way for veterans to test their talent.

rcallaci

Staff member
Administrator
I prefer all or most challenges to be anonymous. The author is secondary. It’s the poem that makes a difference and stands on its own , isn’t that why we’re here? It’s a good way for newcomers to experiment without embarrassment and a good way for veterans to test their talent.

and one that I agree with up to a certain point. But getting embarrassed is part of being a writer, it's one of the tools of learning,. And yes the author is secondary to the piece but is still a part of the piece. Why make the writer invisible and then magically appear at the end. When I read your poetry I know it's tuesdayeves poetry and then create my version on who and what tuesdayeve is. A shadow version, for me knowing who the author is adds flavor to the poem. But this is my opinion and I am not getting rid of the anonymous tag only limiting it for a while.

rcallaci

Staff member
Administrator
I’ve read all the poems and enjoyed everyone. I’m not going to give any detailed reviews but rather what I perceive what the impressionable imprint or essence the poem made for me. Let’s call it a light poem sketch.

The Gift that will always Top Them by Chester’s Daughter

A passionate and touching ode to a son caught up and trapped down a dark path and through love found refuge that started out as a crack of light that eventually turned into a blaze. A Mother’s love is a powerful thing.

Spit & Polish by Phil Lstine

Fun Piece of a Man with slimly green rotten teeth. He was the Dentists # 1 patient who paid for his children’s college education, his car and house. It was a sad day for the dentist when he died. Hence the plaque.

Remembering you as a Modigliani Sketch by RH Peat

An elegant and sophisticated piece about a momentary glance etched in the endless cycle of time. Dripping with sensuality.

Ephemeral by Midnightpoet

One powerful piece on Man’s destructive nature. Mother Nature (Gaia) has bruises on and around her ass to prove it.

Breath by Lady Silence

I smiled, took a few deep breaths as I read this poem celebrating the joy of life

Breaking Monday by Darkkin

An uplifting poem. A change of perspective can make a dreary Monday into a day of sunshine and laughter.

Dial a Smile by PiP

This piece did indeed make the smiley in me smile. It was funtageous…

A Reason to Smile by TuesdayEve

A moving piece about the recovery of a long suffering loved one. But on a deeper level (for me at least) it is a celebration of an end cycle. A death chill, a day of happiness and lack of pain, final goodbyes and peace.

Radio days by me (rcallaci)

I loved the circus, the roar of a lion, clowns and sawdust. It was one of the few times I saw and heard my father laugh and grin from ear to ear.

Lilac by ritudimriautiyal

A sweet and heartwarming poem. A lovely tearjerker- my wife was taken aback when I started smelling her scent.

Contentment by jenthepen

The balance of the highs and lows of life. The tao of the smile

LadySilence

I’ve read all the poems and enjoyed everyone. I’m not going to give any detailed reviews but rather what I perceive what the impressionable imprint or essence the poem made for me. Let’s call it a light poem sketch.

Breath
by Lady Silence

I smiled, took a few deep breaths as I read this poem celebrating the joy of life

I'll answer you now, and I apologize very much.

But I didn't want to write it earlier when the vote was still in progress.

When I wrote that poem, I thought about the survivors of Covid 19. In particular, about a person I know, who came out of intensive care, after almost 1 month. He had greeted everyone, convinced that he was dying.

Yes, it's a hymn to life ^ _ ^