Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Authors and their children (1 Viewer)

A

Avareis

Let's talk about some authors that have taken on the writing of a book and made it into something more. Several dedicated writers often become attached to and have even adopted the characters they have created. As if real people, authors start to have some sick relationship with the figment of their imagination.
They fall into several catigories, such as romance novels. Perhaps it is the longing to be in that situation where that character resides. But it isn't just hopeful wishing. Some novelists go as far as to crying hysterically when they kill off a beloved character. J.K. Rowling is a good example of this. She became depressed when she killed off a character in the Harry Potter series. Another who relate to this scene is Mary Shelly who had her bouts with death, love interests and the termoil of her youth.
But are we to say that they are strange to write in this fashion? To live the experience while writing the book? I have. Maybe I, like the others, are nuts and should be put away for living a delusion of grandire. But, tell me what you think of the Nutball Association I've been inducted into. Are you like me? Do you get attached in some way to a book you have read or writen?

To me, I see this as a way of making a great story by being a part of it, overseeing it, looking but not touching it as the story unfolds.

Last edited by a moderator:

crash

"Sick relationship?" I hardly think crying over the "death" of a character is sick, especially when the author enjoyed writing about the character and when the scene in which they die is emotionally loaded. That's a normal reaction to the removal of positive emotional stimulus (the character), especially one that has taken on the traits of a person. It's like saying someone is sick because they cry at a character's death in a movie or a TV series.

If you're not emotionally invested in your work it's probably not worth my time to read it, anyway. Why should I care about this character if the author didn't?