Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

The Amityville Horror- movie review (1 Viewer)

Reilly Hall

In 1974, voices told Ron DeFeo to slaughter his family. One year later, the Lutz family moves into what they believe to be their dream home. The voices come back.

Fans of Ryan Reynolds will be glad to hear that the man can act as well as make us laugh. Sporting the 25 pounds of muscle he acquired for Blade: Trinity, he makes quite the intimidating figure, reminding us of Jack in The Shining. I half expected him to break down a door with a “Heeeeeere’s Johnny!” But, that might have taken away from the sense of foreboding.

As a fan of horror movies, I can honestly say that many end up lacking; Lacking plot, lacking dread, lacking emotion. This one did not. Based on the true story, and retold for a new audience, this did a good job of putting the audience at unease. Disturbing imagery, along with the psychotic breakdown of Reynolds, proved much more satisfying than “get out!” of the first movie.

Along with this, they actually make an effort to show us why the house is possessed. Many horror movies simply resort to the answer “because” and leave it at that. It’s nice to be given an explanation.

My only complaint: If I was ever in a situation where my house was going to get me killed, I’d leave certainly before 28 days. That, or if I heard that it was once the scene of a murder, I’d (if for nothing but morbid curiosity) read up on it.

Scott Tuplin

Reilly Hall said:
Disturbing imagery, along with the psychotic breakdown of Reynolds, proved much more satisfying than “get out!” of the first movie.

I thought that line was excellent lol a real classic

Reilly Hall said:
Along with this, they actually make an effort to show us why the house is possessed. Many horror movies simply resort to the answer “because” and leave it at that. It’s nice to be given an explanation.

Background information also helps strengthen the film

Reilly Hall said:
My only complaint: If I was ever in a situation where my house was going to get me killed, I’d leave certainly before 28 days. That, or if I heard that it was once the scene of a murder, I’d (if for nothing but morbid curiosity) read up on it.

If someone was chopped up in my house, I'd prefer it stay a secret lol

Reilly Hall

Thanks for the commentary. I'm not certain, but I think I'd live in a house where a murder occured if the price was right....

not sure though :S

EmuJenkins

I saw Ammityville Horror when I was drunk, and I laughed my ass off throught he whole thing. The acting was so ridiculously bad, but it was a fun movie. Good review. I liked the writing.