Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Test Patterns Open Subs (1 Viewer)

moderan

WF Veterans
The Test Patterns anthology is having open submissions for one month, from September 1 through October 1, 2017.

The concept is literary speculative fictions patterned on the Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Night Gallery, et al. Submissions should be in standard manuscript format [Standard ms format (a document with standard manuscript format will have the following features: 8.5"×11" or A4 paper size. Courier or a similar monospaced serif font. 12-point (10 pitch ) or 10-point (12 pitch) font size]...rtf, doc, docx are best, as attachments -- do not include your text in the body of an email. Cover letter is not necessary. Submissions should be addressed to moderanathotmaildotcom -- please include your name and email address on the title page. 1500-3500 words.
The pay rate is five cents a word. Be sure to send your best work -- you're competing for space with the some of the best-known writers in contemporary weird fiction and your peers. Space is limited.

Home/more information -- Test Patterns. If you have any questions, feel free to pm.

sas

WF Veterans
I shouldn't intrude, but will. Glad you are using Test Patterns. I remember them well. It was a time when there was a void of information. A time to refresh. Miss them. Sas

Jay Greenstein

I'll have to admit that I'm confused, and have questions.

• Are any of the writers signed for the book, so far, successful authors, whose work I can find in the local bookstore? I ask because it costs nothing to publish the work of hopeful authors in either Kindle format or POD. Why would you go to the hardcover format, with a high cost to produce, if the work is less than professional? Instead of a fixed payment of $.05/word you could pay the authors as a function of how many copies are sold. Damn few small presses give advances these days.

• Are those tasked with the editing pros? Have they worked in the genre professionally? And by that I mean making their living by editing in the genre.

• Why not put up one of the stories, here, where you're asking people to submit their work, as a teaser, to show that it's not a scam, and that those donating will get a product worth reading? It will also serve to show someone who might want to submit, the level of work you require.

• You're selling a hard copy $40, which seems pricey, given that I can pick up an anthology in my bookstore, written by pros, for a fraction of that cost. And $20 for a paperback seem high. And that doesn't count the fact that you're also asking for donations on every crowdfunding site. I ran the numbers for 100 copies sold in each of the three formats you say you'll be using, and they don't seem to add up:

If I assume a total of 80,000 words (over 20 stories)

!00 digital copies, @ $5 ea brings in $450 after delivery fees are deducted. But 100 copies of an unknown book, even assuming that those whose stories are included will bring in relatives and friends as customers, seems high since some will be buying other form-factor books like hard and soft cover.

100 copies of paperback (5” x 8”) your cost per book is $4.75. You sell it for $20, so you make $1525

100 copies of cloth cover hardback cost about $18.45 ea, so at $40 each, you make $21.55 on each, minus shipping cost, of about $3 ea for a total of $1855

So the total income is $3830

But you are going to pay out $4000 in royalty, so you're losing money.

Forgive me, I mean no insult, but I can't see selling that many books—especially the hard and soft cover versions-of a book that has no promotion other than the authors. There are lots of anthologies that work by submissions that are making money, but they're scams, that are available only as downloads and POD, and they depend on the authors, who make very little, selling/buying for family and co-workers.

Jack of all trades

Jay -- I think some of your numbers are wrong.

3500 words @ 0.05/ word is $175.

$175 for 20 stories is only $3500.

There's no royalties, unless I am mistaken. This would be considered work for hire. All rights and royalties go to the publisher(s).

Are the prices at those amounts for the crowdfunding? Or for the general public?

moderan

WF Veterans
I'll have to admit that I'm confused, and have questions.

Okay. I have answers.

• Are any of the writers signed for the book, so far, successful authors, whose work I can find in the local bookstore? I ask because it costs nothing to publish the work of hopeful authors in either Kindle format or POD. Why would you go to the hardcover format, with a high cost to produce, if the work is less than professional? Instead of a fixed payment of $.05/word you could pay the authors as a function of how many copies are sold. Damn few small presses give advances these days.

More than half of the authors included in the book are successful professional authors, with books in bookstores and libraries and awards and nominations under their belts. A good few are also professional editors and/or publishers.
Here are a few names -- Joseph Pulver, Sr., John Claude Smith, Jeffrey Thomas, Scott Thomas, Matthew M Bartlett, Philip Fracassi, Jordan Krall, Don Webb. Ross Lockhart, Scott R Jones, Arinn Dembo, Betty Rocksteady, Mike Griffin, Christopher Ropes, and Mark Rainey have agreed to provide stories. The cover art is by famed creator Nick Gucker. Feel free to google.
This is a professional anthology on a level with anything you'll find in-genre. The hardcovers are produced as rewards for crowdfunding contributors and will be made available to the public simply because they are there. The primary product is the 6X9 TPB.

• Are those tasked with the editing pros? Have they worked in the genre professionally? And by that I mean making their living by editing in the genre.

I am the editor-in-chief. My assistants work professionally as copyeditors in the newspaper business. I have forty years of related experience.

• Why not put up one of the stories, here, where you're asking people to submit their work, as a teaser, to show that it's not a scam, and that those donating will get a product worth reading? It will also serve to show someone who might want to submit, the level of work you require.

I already have. My own contribution: Looking for Ghosts. I'm not free to post other people's material without compensation.
We have also issued chapbooks, called Test Patterns Teasers. They contain three poems and three stories and we sold enough at the NecronomiCon Providence to pay for their production.
• You're selling a hard copy $40, which seems pricey, given that I can pick up an anthology in my bookstore, written by pros, for a fraction of that cost. And $20 for a paperback seem high. And that doesn't count the fact that you're also asking for donations on every crowdfunding site. I ran the numbers for 100 copies sold in each of the three formats you say you'll be using, and they don't seem to add up:

Your numbers don't parse. We expect to spend 3750.00 on stories, 600.00 on art, and 650.00 on advertising. The budget is 5K. We raised money through two fundraising efforts and the sales of the chapbooks and are self-financing the rest.
20 bucks for a 75K trade paperback is a decent price point, in line with similar efforts from the weird fiction small press.
100 copies is a very low estimate.

Forgive me, I mean no insult, but I can't see selling that many books—especially the hard and soft cover versions-of a book that has no promotion other than the authors. There are lots of anthologies that work by submissions that are making money, but they're scams, that are available only as downloads and POD, and they depend on the authors, who make very little, selling/buying for family and co-workers.

I call BS. You mean to be insulting and have donned a spurious air of superiority. I'll not respond in kind.

moderan

WF Veterans
Yeah....just to clarify:

WF authors are being given an opportunity to compete with and appear alongside professionals. One has already had a story accepted. If you think you have a story in you, open up that vein and get it on the page. If you have questions, pm.
We also accept poetry. 25 bucks for verse.
Video trailer coming as soon as we have the cover art finalized.
Cheers. Thanks for reading.

Hawkeye

WF Veterans
I have a question: are you filling it on a first come first served kind of basis or have submissions that come in at the end of the submission period just as much chance of being included? I've a story in mind but it might take a little while to get down on paper since I'm really busy just at the moment.

moderan

WF Veterans
I'm making weekly shortlists and saving some room for the endgames. I'm one to go long and sub late, so I grok that :)

moderan

WF Veterans
Hey! Also...we're going to do a SECOND VOLUME. So many excellent submissions have come in that we're going to do another in the springtime.
Right now, 20 of the 25 spots have been filled. Get in the pool while you can!
I just saw the cover art...will share when I can!

moderan

WF Veterans
Test Patterns final Table of Contents:

1. Joe Pulver – AI Susan Dream
2. Scott Graves – Evidence of Absence
3. William Tea -- I Am Become Death
4. Philip Fracassi – The Judge
5. Sarah Walker – The Snake Beneath My Skin
6. Ashley Dioses – The Hands of Chaos*
7. Peter Rawlik – The Nomenclature of Unutterable Horrors
8. SL Edwards – Golden Girl
9. Brian O’Connell -- Scenes From a Forgotten Diorama
10. Jill Hand – You Can’t Go Wrong With Grass-Fed Beef
11. Ruth Asch -- Abettor*
12. Pete Carter – Work Group
13. Sean M. Thompson – The Cliffside Tavern
14. Nathan Carson – The Velveteen Volvo
15. Frederick J. Mayer – Outre Non-limitations*
16. Frederick J. Mayer -- The Kumiho Question
17. Can Wiggins – I’ve Lived in This Place a Long Time
18. Frank Coffman – The White Terror
19. John Claude Smith – Symptom of the Universe
20. Scott J Couturier – Sustenance of the Stars
21. RF Martin – Alien Shore
22. Adam Bolivar – Ye Hermit’s Lay*
23. Don Webb – Bridge
24. Russell Smeaton – Balls
25. Matthew M Bartlett – Call Me Corey
26. Cody Goodfellow – Hero Mother
27. Mark Rainey – Red-Eye
28. KA Opperman – Séance*
29. Duane Pesice – Looking for Ghosts
*denotes poetic work

Congratulations are in order to one and all. The anthology should be available by Hallowe'en.

Last edited:

ppsage

WF Veterans
Hey! Also...we're going to do a SECOND VOLUME. So many excellent submissions have come in that we're going to do another in the springtime.
Right now, 20 of the 25 spots have been filled. Get in the pool while you can!
I just saw the cover art...will share when I can!

Due to overwhelming response, we've closed this volume to submissions. Volume Two will be accepting subs in the spring of 2018.

Two WF writers made the cut, out of 114 total submissions. Good work!
When I put these together, I get that the opening in the spring will be for five slots? Or did I miss something?

moderan

WF Veterans
When I put these together, I get that the opening in the spring will be for five slots? Or did I miss something?

Missed something. The second volume will be entirely new. The five slots were available for volume 1 -- they've been filled. In fact we filled nine slots, going over budget slightly.

Apologies if the language was misleading. There will be 25 available slots for Test Patterns Volume Two, if and when that happens. The determining factor will be sales -- if we sell enough to break even, we'll do it again.

ppsage

WF Veterans
Okay. Probably just my tortured reading comprehension. I have the teaser. One story really synched with me and the other stories and poems proved quite instructive, which is even more rewarding. Will be contributing enough for the paperback soon's I get up the scratch. Very encouraging to see this project going through and thanks to everybody who's making it happen.

moderan

WF Veterans
The Teaser is a nice cross-section of the type of content and level of professionalism in the anthology. I'm glad you enjoyed it.