Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Tearing down the fence. (1 Viewer)

Kel

In this case, Good fences do not good neighbors make!

My old drama club teacher recently gave me a copy of Robert Frost's "Mending Wall". I've been reading it almost obsessively since I obtained it. A photocopy of a poem from a high school literature book. A high school I've been out of for nearing eight years.

My name is Kel. It's actually a nickname of my real name. I'm not one that's bit on anonymity so there you have it. Kel.

I like to write fantasy fiction, but I also adore high school drama. It's saturated with raw emotion since most kids that age don't know how to express them eloquently. They just express them. Anymore, I feel like I have to watch what I do, how I do it. I can put that naked energy into writing.

So I hope!

I'm one-quarter of a century old and have been writing seriously since about fifth grade. Off and on, really. Ever since I received a copy of Madeline L'Engle's "Many Waters" book from an old Reading teacher did I want to write. I've since gotten my mitts on the Time Quintet.

My husband, my mom and dad, have always been very supportive of my writing. Even when it was horrible ("Let's stay in and make it a Blockbuster night" actual dialogue from a book in sixth grade!! My sister won't let me live it down!), they let me know they believed in me. Even now, with a controversial fiction escapade on my plate, I get nothing but encouragement. Even old teachers offer to edit, to read and critique for me.

I couldn't ask for a better network.

But I do ask!

I come here with a ready pen, warmed-up AlphasmartPro, open book and open heart. Maybe my mind needs a little jumpstart now and then, but it'll get there.

I want to critique, be critiqued. But constructively. I don't want flames even if I happen to write a book where the main characters are less than traditional. I want to offer helpful advice, opinions on what I like and don't like, and not have it taken as gospel. I want to read for enjoyment and read to get better. I want to soak up tips and tricks, caffeine and good tidings. I want to offer all of that back to the forum, too.

I'm new, but I feel like I'll do all right here. Just give me a doubleshot of espresso, a bag of Dove chocolate and off I go.

Thank you for having me. I can't wait to get started.

It's nice to meet all of you!

Shinn

Hi there and let me welcome you to Writing Forums, Kel. I hope you will enjoy being here and will find the time to post some of your work. :)

~ Shinn

Kel

Thank you both very much! It's an exciting forum so far. I've only just started and I've already written down so many helpful tips! The 20 questions to ask characters is especially interesting.

S

silverwriter

Hello and nice to meet you, Kel. I love fantasy fiction and have been writing it for ages now, it seems like.

Welcome to WF. If you have any questions, feel free to contact a staff member.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
In this case, Good fences do not good neighbors make!

My old drama club teacher recently gave me a copy of Robert Frost's "Mending Wall"...

...Madeline L'Engle's "Many Waters" book
I love both of these, too.
I couldn't ask for a better network.
Fantastic!
I want to critique, be critiqued. But constructively.
You'll get all kinds of critiques here from writers of every level. Take what you need and leave the rest. Sometimes the best thing to do with the occasional flame is to let it die of neglect.
...if I happen to write a book where the main characters are less than traditional.
Go for it! 'Traditional' sounds too much like 'stereotype' anyway.
I'm new, but I feel like I'll do all right here. Just give me a doubleshot of espresso, a bag of Dove chocolate and off I go.
You'll do great! You're a woman after my own heart, anyway.

Though I would quibble with your brand of chocolate...of course, not many people know of Peter's Ultra but if you ever find it (bulk chocolate) it's a piece of melty milk-chocolate heaven. And I always keep Hershey's Special Dark on hand. With peanut butter.

Welcome!

-Foxee

B

bettyann

Hi Kel, from a like-minded Madeline L'Engle admirer! She first got me with A Wrinkle in Time. I only read Many Waters once I had reached adulthood (I had bought the four books so my daughter would read them) and was just blown away, yet again, by her goodness. Madeline L'Engle is one of the good guys. Fav book in the series is A Swiftly Tilting Planet. Good on you, Kel. :)

ps. Read any CS Lewis?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kel

Silverwriter: Thank you very much! I'll definitely be sure to keep that in mind.

Foxee: I prefer Ghirardelli, actually! But I don't always indulge in Espresso Escape chocolate bars very often! I'm a little nervous about my non-traditional main characters, to be honest!

Baron: Thanks!

Bettyann: Of course I read CS Lewis! (past and present-tense) I had had no idea that Many Waters was part of a series until fairly recently, to be honest! My original copy had been eaten by my dog back in April, but the books were re-released in May, so I picked up all five. I'm very glad I did.

TL: Thank you!

Hawke: Thanks! I hope I get enough oomph to post them. :salut:

Nickie: Hi! Thank you!