Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Teaching Playwriting: Creativity in Practice (1 Viewer)

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1350011320/?tag=writingforu06-20

I will write a much longer review much later about what I thought of the rest of the book (at above 30 percent). This is the best book I have bought on playwriting. It is also the only book that has practice exercises that aren't vague. Its focus is on writing a story using practice exercises. If you want to write a story not using theory this is an excellent way since it grounds you on how playwrights write based on theme. So far I have read up to the situation exercise where there is an exercise to create a situation.

It starts out in 30%. It's focus is on drama. But it has a strong focus on other areas. After searching for books to help me I can say this is a new standard. If you want to write a short story or novel what better way than playwriting? Sure it is not the same thing as writing a short story but both are fiction. I do also own a kindle fire (disclaimer) which means I don't own the physical copy. So these are my very first reading impressions.

So 10/10 for me. Nothing else has come close. Of course I am at 30 percent. He has read all the playwriting books. He even cites them and gives advice. I bought it yesterday. I have no regrets so I will keep it.(I am not refunding it so far) The beginning can be skipped until you get to the craft part. If anyone buys it let me know your opinion to spread the good word in this thread.

I dont know the export limit yet but dont mind it to much since I own a kindle. I think this has information that has application. Like the title says theory into practice. You will practice because of the questions and excercises it provides. It will motivate you to write using a more structured approach since it has exercises besides theory.

an update: got an idea while reading it for a long story. A person's social status, and personal status this is important because of the important status quo of character. That needs to change in order for there to be a story. Imagine if you will a character that has power. Imagine opposites of status and change such as youth and old age. Characters lose their power and status when they became ugly. That is a example of a status changing taken from the book.

Social status has power and because of a person's rank. I have an example of how status changes. Because status can become a source for conflict. Personal status has to do with how a character behaves with regard to integrity. While the other part of personal status has to do with personal qualities that give them status such as charisma. When both work in unison they create conflict ( social and personal). Imagine the possibilities. When any status changes such as losing charisma you have conflict.

Last edited:

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I updated the opening post on the last paragraph. Edited the two last paragraphs for clarity.The

Edit this: since this is expensive for my budget I canceled it and got this book. It's a solid book but I need more helpful exercises. This book I will mention offers this. The theory is sound and in some parts but I need more explicit instruction. There were exercises at the very end.

Novel Ideas: Contemporary Authors Share the Creative Process Second Edition
[FONT=&Verdana]by Barbara Shoup
[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]
[/FONT]

Last edited: