Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Talking to airport security (1 Viewer)

Joker

So in this scene coming up, I'm having Corrit speak to airport (really, spaceport) security about a missing person's case he's working. The question is simple - how would a private citizen get ahold of who he needs to speak to to look at some camera footage and find his missing guy?

Kimoco

Follow every Karen's advice. Start by asking for the manager ;P Then work your way upward their chain of command!

Megan Pearson

So in this scene coming up, I'm having Corrit speak to airport (really, spaceport) security about a missing person's case he's working. The question is simple - how would a private citizen get ahold of who he needs to speak to to look at some camera footage and find his missing guy?
Hey Joker, is this airport security or homeland security? Each would have a different set of policies & procedures in place. Even if your character is not a P.I., you might do a Google search on how a P.I. might go about making such an inquiry. So long as a P.I. license isn't involved, it would make your private citizen's inquiry that much more believable. Although ,any information held by a security organization would be held in trust to the organization they're hired out to, so I can't see how a private citizen could gain access to such information. Some role in authority, or having contact with the proper authority, might help.

Megan Pearson

Hey Joker, since it is on a spaceport, what do you think the consequences would be if your character had to argue his way into getting the information? If the information was withheld--especially for poor, bureaucratic reasons, and still he pressed for it, it could create some good tension. It's a question of cost. What's the cost for your mc to forgo the information, and does that cost outweigh the cost of his pursuing the information? (How so? What's at stake?)

Of course, that kind of depends on where you're going with the story. If it's not a major issue for the story, he might be able to con or even flirt with someone to obtain what he needs, say a disgruntled character who just put in his notice that morning & wants to get back at the spaceport.

(I realized I was being all neat & tidy & realistic when I replied before. Hopefully this addendum might add a more literary twist to the ideas you're bouncing around.)