Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Talk about your 2013 NaNo (1 Viewer)

Tyrannohotep

The one I have decided to work on will be a fantasy story loosely based on the myth of King Arthur and the Holy Grail.

Plot Synopsis

In bygone days a wrathful demon sent a rogue Triceratops with brass horns to terrorize the people of Yam. Only by sacrificing half of their kingdom's yearly produce to the montrous herbivore could the Yamites stave off its rampages. Their liberation from famine and fear came at last when the demi-goddess Ebana slew the Triceratops, hacking off its horns. As a gesture of gratitude, the Yamites crowned Ebana their queen, and she kept one of the brow horns as a symbol of her rulership. From that point on every prospective king and queen of Yam anoints themselves with animal blood poured from the horn as part of the coronation process.

Ngunbere, the story's female protagonist, has been chosen as Yam's next queen, but before she can receive her coronation, warriors from the distant northern land of Albion steal the horn. Their leader Ardur believes that the horn possesses special powers that he can use to reclaim his own chieftainship from his usurping and tyrannical brother Mordri. Ngunbere and her younger brother Lankele set out to retrieve the stolen horn at first, but once they learn of Ardur's motivation, they come to sympathize with him. The Yamites and Albionians decide that to resolve their conflict, they must find the Triceratops's second brow horn so Ardur can use it.

The problem is that this second horn lies in the possession of the hermit mage Mlani, who needs its power for his own purposes and is reluctant to give it up. As if this did not provide enough complications, Mordri eventually learns of Ardur's plans and sends his sorceress Orkana after our heroes...

And to conclude, here's concept art for the heroine Ngunbere:
guinevere_reimagined_by_brandonspilcher-d6qtpxy.jpg

movieman

I wrote the first half of the original version of 'Horror Movie' on a business trip some years ago. Then I kept trying to finish it and failing. It was supposed to be a homage to the horror novels I used to read from the 70s and 80s, about an indie movie crew running into something worse than the director's script while shooting a lesbian vampire movie in a remote part of Britain, but ended up more of a comedy about the characters than a blood-drenched slaughter.

So I'm going to toss that out and write a completely new version next month, based around the character who's repeatedly mentioned but never appears in the original. Of course, now I've been thinking about how to write a new version, I've come up with a number of ideas on how to finish that too. I think that's going to end up as 'Horror Movie 2: The Sequel'.

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
Wow, nice work planning your novel out, Tyrannohotep! I hope you have good luck producing it.

This will be my first attempt at NaNo, and the idea I have is only about a third cooked. The basic premise surrounds a scheme set in motion by a young graduate student whose detachment from society and experiences with hallucinogenics have prompted him to feel strongly that society's problems with morality could be solved through forcing everyone to take strong doses of pure DMT.

He and a friend, a chemist, descend into the steam tunnels beneath the university (actual place that I've been, criss-crosses the city and links everything from hotel vaults to train depots to the steam plant to every building on campus - very creepy) and begin making huge vats of the stuff. It's so potent that a single microgram will force the user to convulse with artificial spiritual experience, so profound and absolute that they have no idea what has happened to them.

The challenges of distribution and what will happen to infrastructure are what I'm in the throes of working out now. I have a good idea of what these two loons are like as characters, and a good idea on some interesting asides as they take up residence in the tunnels. This whole thing stands a good chance of crashing and burning, but it's an idea that wants my attention. There are very likely to be some slip-ups as they mix the first batch that will send both of them hurtling through a multi-dimensional mind-melter, and possibly derail the intentionality needed to execute the plan in the first place.

BobtailCon

This is my first attempt at NaNoWriMo as well. Here's mine:

Novel: R.A.I.D. Agents
Genre: Science Fiction

Synopsis

On the desert planet of Chelron 42. A failing colony of the First Empire struggle to survive. Cal, one of the colony's remaining original settlers, is injured in a firefight with local raiders. When he awakes, he finds his settlement destroyed, he struggles to return to the First Empire's Interplanetary Citadel to bear the news of the colony's failure, and to receive his punishment

Excerpt

Cal raises his tarnished pistol and fires, a bandit clutches their shoulder and falls behind cover. Cal smirks, he pivots his gun and fires at another figure, they fall as well. High off his ego, Cal doesn't see the raider to his left sighting on him. He feels a sharp pain as a bullet sears into his side. He falls back onto the dust covered gravel.
He hears weapons firing dully, sounding as if it is miles away. His head jerks back, and his mind slips into a coma.

Then my beautiful MS Paint Cover...
thumb.jpg

Angelwing

Likewise, my first time doing NaNo this year. Not sure how good the synopsis is or anything but:

Title: [Untitled]

Genre: Historical Fiction

Cover (drawn and colored by me):
gaelic_viking_by_super6_4-d6jpjww.jpg

Short Synopsis: When Nobleman Erik Helgaf and his followers are exiled from the Kingdom in 480 BC, they have only one course of action: sail across the vast ocean to establish their own refuge. However, when old quarrels reappear and new ones begin, all that Erik built is threatened with complete destruction.

Novel Excerpt: It has been more than one hundred years since my native land was founded. Nobleman Erik Helgaf and his family was exiled from his more than a century ago, along with many who identified with him. Some were of similarly respectable blood, but many were the common citizens of his fief; general outcasts from the greater kingdom as well. Even in peril, they stood by their lord, knowing that while he wasn’t the wealthiest or most powerful, he would find a solution.

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
Nice drawing, Angelwing!

I've launched heavy into my Nano thing, this being my first year. Knocked down 5.9k today and I actually like what I'm writing. It's a creepy story, but I think I'm probably going to make it to 50k, which is a weird feeling. Also, I'm sick of looking at the computer screen today. :)

Good luck to everyone starting this crazy goal, hope you all have lots of inspiration and coffee.

dakota.potts

Word Count:

Novel Title:
Novel Genre: Fantasy

Short Synopsis:After finding himself awake in a strange cave of crystals, lights, and sounds, a man meets the equally strange inhabitants of the cave. The inhabitants, a peace loving group of hominids tied deeply into the life of the cave which grants them the essential energy of life. Those he meets teach him about living in literal harmony with all living things. He also learns of the struggle when harmonies slip into dissonance and two energies must resolve.

Novel Excerpt:Subtly, almost imperceptibly at first, the melody grew louder, and more numerous in tone until the first chord was struck, igniting a purple flash in the crystalline walls. The notes rang out, louder still, each time growing more complex, until full chords of every octave (and, I fancy, those imperceptible to me) were playing through the cave, rich and sonorous. The lights in the walls of the caves flashed and shifted, dancing their delicate dance, writhing to the this ethereal song.
I watched this strange procession as it carried on for what I judged to be roughly half an hour,until the final chords rang out in a frenzied crescendo, igniting the walls with an almost blinding light. Then, as the sweet fundamental note held its song, the rest faded into obscurity. Through the course of this, I had felt myself hypnotized, and now I felt as though awakening from a trance, although refreshed of mind and soul.

Angelwing

Nice drawing, Angelwing!

Thank you!

I'm really getting into this story I'm writing! Unfortunately I didn't reach the 1st day goal but I plan on compensating this weekend as much as possible. Right now I only have 1396 words. It's not too far behind though.

Gavrushka

WF Veterans
Well, I'm going to try for 50,000 this month, and managed just over 2,000 yesterday. Curses to the F1 Grand Prix; it is such a tempting distraction...

I'm continuing a Science Fiction novel that I started a few weeks ago. It'll be quite a weight, so I doubt it will be more than a third of the way through by the end of the month, and I have the added distraction of the LM fiction challenge to contend with too. - That will be my first attempt at romance. -As a grizzled, cynical and snarl-toothed bloke of advancing years, my idea of romance is a pork pie with a little love heart drawn on the pastry.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Great drawings Tyrann and Angelwing :)

Bobtail, your cover also looks great!

So...it's now day four... how's everyone doing on the word count?

Gargh

WF Veterans
I'm so ridiculously behind so far, but I have about four hours free today to catch up and, guess what, I'm on here instead! :distracted:

Nice artwork everyone, and kudos on the energy and commitment so far :mrgreen:

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
Mine's gone rogue, but not necessarily in a bad way. My biggest issue I think, is how my story has become multi-POV and I'm struggling to keep all the different threads in tact with the overall whole. It's going to be a decent story, I think!

At 14,500w and ahead by a few days. Scrivener has a terrific function for setting targets and it even alerts you when you reach your daily goal. I did a whole session this morning and this evening - I'm hoping to either finish a few days early and spend the rest of the month trying to scoop it into a pile that makes some sense, or just write until the end of the month and see what I end up with. Once I reach the ending, I don't think there will be much left to milk out of this particular pony, though...

Glad I decided to do this. Actually buckling down and writing a novel, finally. :)

Gavrushka

WF Veterans
I'm horrified that you've managed so many words! - I am a little more than 1,000 over target, and that includes the word count for the next LM fiction competition.

When my wip is finished, it will be my fourth completed novel. Even so, it'll be a good few years before I have the skills to write them well enough for public consumption.

I think writingforums should consider a sponsoring a December NanoWriMo... It's one hell of an incentive! :p

Pluralized

Black Dracula
WF Veterans
19,139 as of this morning. Just realized another exciting facet to my bartender/torture artist antagonist that I'll be exploiting for hopefully another few thousand. Fifty-kay is a lot! :)

Gavrushka

WF Veterans
Damn, I'm at a fraction of that. - I'll likely have a few more words out later today, but I am on 12,149 at the minute. - I was away Tuesday night, and so there were no new words on Wednesday. :(

In my story, Geoff is approaching the end of an encounter with a tactile sentient female reptile, who has the ability to alter his blood chemistry by touch.

I actually only heard about NaNo on October 31st, haha! So I was right on time. But I decided to do mine based on a dream I had. When I woke up front he dream I said "Wow, I should try and write this out and make a novel." And that was maybe a week or two before I learned about NaNo. So when my Tumblr friend told me about it, I figured some sort of diet your the fates or whatever was telling me "HEY, DO THIS NOW. DON'T WAIT." So I'm not. :)

However, at only 5,700 words or so I'm falling behind. I'm hoping to use if not this weekend then next to do a complete catch up. Sort of a writing sprint if you will.

J Anfinson

Retired Supervisor
I joined way late, but I don't care if I win. I'm finding the word count uploader to be a good motivator to keep from editing. I just started last night, and did the 1700. Right now I'm at like 2200 words. I plan on doing at least another 1700 today, and hopefully more as time allows.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
...or perhaps a National Novel Editing Month?!!?

Nice one, Gargh! LOL :)

19,139 as of this morning. Just realized another exciting facet to my bartender/torture artist antagonist that I'll be exploiting for hopefully another few thousand. Fifty-kay is a lot! :)

And you are nearly half way there!

... I figured some sort of diet your the fates or whatever was telling me "HEY, DO THIS NOW. DON'T WAIT." So I'm not.

However, at only 5,700 words or so I'm falling behind. I'm hoping to use if not this weekend then next to do a complete catch up. Sort of a writing sprint if you will.

Hey Solace, your dream sounds as if it was well timed :) How's the word count progressing?

Damn, I'm at a fraction of that. - I'll likely have a few more words out later today, but I am on 12,149 at the minute. - I was away Tuesday night, and so there were no new words on Wednesday. :sad:

How's it going G? Have you managed to catch up?

I joined way late, but I don't care if I win. I'm finding the word count uploader to be a good motivator to keep from editing. I just started last night, and did the 1700. Right now I'm at like 2200 words. I plan on doing at least another 1700 today, and hopefully more as time allows.

You have joined a little late, but there's still plenty of time to catch up :) Last year I completed the challenge in just over two weeks because I was travelling, and then returned homw with a nasty chest infection. It can be done!