Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Syren (1 Viewer)

Syren

Hope all are well~

Poet with some published work, still working on that elusive first book. Your advice is appreciated, of course, I could use plenty of rubs to get to that brilliant shine.

Expanding into my first novel as well, so likely I'll troll a few different threads around the boards. Great to see a place for writers, from what I've read so far, the give and take looks fantastic. Well done crew, you had me easily.

Cheers all,

//Sy

Titania

Welcome to the forums Syren :grin: Congrats on the published poetry and good luck with the novel. Hope you enjoy it here; it's really a great place!

Last edited:

kalibantre

you're lucky to have such an interesting name.. sorry I couldn't resist I got taliban jokes with my name.. that was fun..

sorry about that though, and I must say I'm impressed you've been responding to others work not just posting your own.

mammamaia

welcome to our happy not-so-little family, sy!

as i mentor many aspiring poets who'd like to be published some day, would you mind mentioning where you were able to get your work accepted?... i'm sure it would be inspiration and hope-retaining for others who've yet to reach that pinnacle...

love and hugs, maia

Syren

:D

A fellow rum-runner eh kali? Brava! I was going to mention my tonic of choice to Ms. Vodka, but I think the irony would last only as long as it took for her to completey bash me with a bottle of her own choosing... heh. Glad to see there are those out there that enjoy the smoother things in life! ;)

Mamma!

I just looked at your site and wow! Amazing stuff! It's in muh favorites, I'll be swimming through it in the weeks to come, happily happily! I love your style, the zen and tao of it all, loved 'A Prayer for Peace', 'attained' and 'becalmed'... which were the first three I marked. Amazing stuff, the straight lines and messages are so well done, the form so uniquely superb! If you don't mind, I'd like to email some close and personal friends the link. I can tell me and you are gonna get along smashingly! :D

To your question, I've been published in different mags (local market mainly) and ezines aplenty, with a bunch of dopey non-paying anthologies, though Noble House is courting a few of my poems for a true anthology, though the pay sounds like little more than token. Ah well...

A great resource for those looking to publish can be found here:

http://www.pw.org/links_pages/

It's where I started, and still visit now and then. Mags, internships, fellowships, etc., plenty to hunt and peck through. I've told many that the line to a book is most often Mags, Journals, Column (if lucky), Agent. That is, for poets and even then for poets with a solid amount of work behind them.

Which is where I'm at and why I'm here... to refine all the work behind me and see where I can grow. Thanks for the chance WF, and the welcome!

//Sy

PS -mamma, I have a couple that might interest you, PM alright?

Syren

It's official, the no-flood policy is killin me. How long is the acceptable norm folks? I mean, I'm thinking three hours with no one posting is sufficient... right? Right?

If I'm stuck to one a day then so be it, just let me know the proper steps to this dance... before I get myself in trouble, pretty please?

kalibantre

don't worry about it so much if you get out of line a mentor or mod will say something but generally its a fairly laid back site.

and dear god rum's good... mount gay is my favourite, dark rum (do not like the white crap especially bacardi) but its reallylight and doesnt lay heavy on you. well other than on the mind..

mammamaia

email's the way to reach me, sy, since i don't have the pm here enabled...

i am SOOOOOOO happy you groove to my weirdness, kiddo... please do pass me on to all and sundry... and browse away to your heart's content... you might want to taste an essay or few, as well... done in the same irreverent, but mind-friendly fashion, natch... am looking forward to hearing from you 'at home'!... we can chat away at anything you have in mind...

word to the wise: give noble house a pass... they're just another $-making scheme akin to poetry.com, where they make their millions on writers and their friends and family buying the books that never appear on a book store shelf... preditors & editors gives them a big red, 'not recommended'... just a quick peek at their website shows why!

love and happy-to-have-met-you hugs, maia

Syren

Heh, I thought as much of them, but glad to have it confirmed. The work in question is actually an authored book by someone or other. They are supposed to send me details and it's an agent, so I don't know, it sounded like something more, but likely it's just their work around. *shrugs*

Anyhow, I'll try your email, it's just a poem I've been working on and would like you to see, comment on, add to, whatever you are comfy with. I'll detail in the email.

Thanks for the advice kali, and I agree in your choice in rum, I have a bottle of 7 year in the cellar. I do like some of the whites, like Santa Cruz and Silver, but the the rum of choice round here is Pussers Dark, great bit that.

All this booze talk is making me thirsty. Who needs a drink?

//Sy

Aztecsfinest

Hello! Welcome to writing forums, I see already you have more green square things than me... (no idea what they're for)

Anyway, I just looked at The Thief and liked it!
You will do well here... More so!

Syren

Heh, I post way too much... I think them green squares are there to mock me. Thanks for the welcome Aztec! And the kind words! The encouragement is appreciated as well... those bumps in life are a fine thing!

Thanks a ton! See you around the boards! ;)

//Sy