Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Synopsis question: 1st book in a series (1 Viewer)

I've outlined a ten-book series, with multiple arcs, arcs within arcs, etc. I've finished the first book, and am in the process of constructing its synopsis (for the agents that have asked for one).
Q: I'm not sure what to do about the loose ends - deliberate loose ends - that live in the first book, waiting to be taken up in subsequent volumes. Do I leave them out, so as not to leave the impression that I've unintentionally left dangling threads? Or do I somehow signal these as to-be-concluded; and if so, is there a "standard", acceptable means of doing so?

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
So glad you asked this question. I am in a similar situation with a three-book series. You have articulated this query very well, and I am hoping the answers provide some guidance or solutions.

Thank you!

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
It happens all the time. The poor reader has to hope the author is dedicated to finishing the thing. (I reference "Game of Thrones" LOL).

For each individual novel, you need a main issue that was the focus of your characters, and satisfy your readers with the conclusion to it. Then you can afford to leave the sequel bait.

For the novel I completed earlier this year, my first two readers commented they were frustrated that a mystery traitor was not revealed and dealt with. The protagonists only defeated a villain the traitor probably inspired to act. I concluded that if they were so keen to know who the traitor was, the story kept their interest. :) But I do intend sequels, and revealing the traitor at that time would have been tantamount to defeating Voldemort in the first book ... not that I'm comparing my book to those novels in any other way.

Earp

As a reader, I hate cliffhangers (seem like a trick to get me to read/buy the next book), but as long as each of your novels is a stand-alone good read, I guess I could live with a few surprises down the road.

I've outlined a ten-book series, with multiple arcs, arcs within arcs, etc. I've finished the first book, and am in the process of constructing its synopsis (for the agents that have asked for one).
Q: I'm not sure what to do about the loose ends - deliberate loose ends - that live in the first book, waiting to be taken up in subsequent volumes. Do I leave them out, so as not to leave the impression that I've unintentionally left dangling threads? Or do I somehow signal these as to-be-concluded; and if so, is there a "standard", acceptable means of doing so?
Thanks everyone, definitely helped focus my thoughts. It's not a cliffhanger, more like a stray character who has a small role in the first book, and will reappear in later books, with more consequence. Kind of like Ginny Weasley in HPatSS. Best to leave her out of the synopsis altogether, I think - I know I'm going to have to shrink it, anyway...