Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Swearing In Fantasy Stories *WARNING ADULT CONTENT* (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
I haven't read a new fantasy story in a very long time and I wondered how swearing is seen in general. I have a character called Frerreleis who is foul-mouthed. She does ease up on it as the story progresses, but earlier on, she swears like a trouper and I need to show that to contrast it with later when she tries to curb it. She's a dominatrix and her chosen weapon is a whip. Her very first line after she whips the gun from the hand of someone about to shoot Yarrod is 'Not in my establishment, cunt'.

I don't plan on holding back on the swearing but I wouldn't mind comprising a little if necessary. Is it common to have swearing in fantasy nowadays?

Cephus

I never go overboard, mostly because wild profanity doesn't really appeal to most adults but to children. That's not who I'm writing for. There are times it's called for and times that it isn't. Telling the difference and using it effectively and realistically makes all the difference in the world.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
It's not unheard of. I lent my daughter the Swords and Fire trilogy and she took me to task about how sweary it was. But I think it's quite en vogue atm.

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
I never go overboard, mostly because wild profanity doesn't really appeal to most adults but to children. That's not who I'm writing for. There are times it's called for and times that it isn't. Telling the difference and using it effectively and realistically makes all the difference in the world.
Yes, but the point is, it is meant to be over the top. I understand what you're saying and I've employed that method many times. In this case though, I need to draw attention to it. It's going to be a continuous interaction between Fiddlesticks and Frerreleise. She doesn't swear after a certain point though, she just begins to swear sometimes and then curbs at the last minute. However, I won't make every other word a swear word, just every so often, especially when she's angry.

TheMightyAz

Staff member
Mentor
It's not unheard of. I lent my daughter the Swords and Fire trilogy and she took me to task about how sweary it was. But I think it's quite en vogue atm.
OK, so I'll add in as much as I feel is necessary and pare it back if I think I can get the same thing across with less.

Status
Not open for further replies.