Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Supernatural fiction suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Ugh, recently I've been going through books like toilet paper, and now I have exhausted my library of it's good werewolf, vampire, witchs, and what not fction! I'm into the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton and the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison and other ones like Sookie Stackhouse, so I am now on the hunt for more good superatural fiction, and all the ones I've picked up lately have been iffy... So I'm open to any suggested readings in this wonderful genre!

Stewart

Bareback, by Kit Whitfield. Although it's called Benighted in the US, lest anyone should buy it under the original title and pick up on the sexual connotation. (link here)

I

Ilan Bouchard

Sci-fi books are usually a lot easier to read than non-fiction, history, or philosophy. If you can enjoy reading those, you'll probably find yourself reading one book much longer.
shrug.gif

Hodge

pliable
You're telling me. It took me about two weeks to read this academic book on the history of the Celts. Whew! But now I totally know everything.

I

Ilan Bouchard

Hodge said:
You're telling me. It took me about two weeks to read this academic book on the history of the Celts. Whew! But now I totally know everything.

With all your knowledge of them, would you still say Larry Bird is the best player they've ever had?

Hodge

pliable
Ever since Larry Bird left the Celtics have been a joke. Kinda like the Raptors or the Nets. Or the Timberwolves... Jokes, all of them!

Cearo

I'd say the Shaman series by C. E. Murphy is a good break from the Rachel Morgan series and the Anita Blake series. I prefer Merry Gentry over Anita, but that's just me. No vampires in the Shaman series, but some pretty good action and a kooky character.

PamHKyle

'Floating Dragon' by Peter Straub
no witches, vampires, werewolfs, (and don't be mislead by the title either) but supernatural. It's rather Stephen King-esk ;)

Mathazzar

o.0 Uh...hello? What happened to Anne Rice? If you haven't read those then you know nothing of vampire literature. And for high-quality supernatural and eerie stories which don't resort to vampires and werewolves and other such cheap gimicks, you need to read the works of H.P Lovecraft. ;)

Stewart

Stewart said:
She wrote increasingly crap books...

Mathazzar said:
I was referring to her Vampire Chronicles.

So was I. Interview With The Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, and Memnoch The Devil were the only good ones. The Queen of the Damned was a joke; The Tale Of The Body Thief was extraneous to the series. The books after that were just repetitions of The Vampire Lestat with different vampires' histories and became boring.

Cearo

Anne Rice made the vampire tame. They're boring now. Ohh, sexy vampire's going to bite me then whine about it! Who cares?

Now Bram Stoker's Dracula--that's a vampire worth remembering!