Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Suggestions For Writing In the Perspective of a Woman (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Keep is civil everyone.

This discussion is why I base most of my prime characters off real people. Luckily I have known a broad assortment of interesting people.
Writers seem to get in the most trouble when they entirely invent characters, rather than pattern them after an actual known quantity.
This seems to especially apply when men write women.
This points to something that I believe strongly - that writers should get out in the world and experience life and have adventures and meet a ton of normal and odd-ball people. How can anyone describe love, hate, loss, or redemption that has not experienced it? Sure, we can write sciFi about living on other planets and the like, but for the most part our characters will all be based on what we know about people here on Earth. The best stories (IMO) are about people - you can put them in space ships or on other planets, even make them fish if you like, but to make them relatable to your reading audience they need to have at least some familiar qualities.

Women should not be alien to men, nor men be alien for women. Meet people. Watch them. Get to know them. Then take those traits and build characters with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.