Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

*stumbles onstage* (1 Viewer)

piperofyork

Friends of WF
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well. I'm a teacher who has been writing stories in one way or another since I was yay-high or thereabouts. I've been working on my first novel for the last five years or so, and happily I'm getting fairly close to the end of the first draft, although a great deal of editing awaits. (Thanks to my day job, I can usually only make serious progress in the summer; hence my turtling writing output.) I've gotten to the point where I enjoy writing more than my day job - which is saying a lot, because I still love teaching. I joined Writing Forums to improve my skills and to get to know the writing community - and the business of writing - better. Not to flirt with a tautology, but I'm looking forward to my future here!

Best,

Piper

P.S. For reasons far beyond my ken, an avatar that I used when I was part of a gaming community long ago automatically loaded itself when I registered. Seeing it was a bit like seeing a ghost of my younger self in the mirror. I apologize if it comes across as sophomoric.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Welcome, Piper! I'm also fairly close to the end of the first draft of my first novel. This is a great place to hang out and learn a few things about writing along the way.

Is your novel of a specific genre?

piperofyork

Friends of WF
Hi Taylor,

Thanks for reaching out! My genre is epic fantasy. Michael Ende (The Neverending Story) is a big inspiration, as is Walter Moers (The City of Dreaming Books)...also some guy named Tolkien. I'm hoping to spread my genre-wings here in the course of taking part in some of the friendly competitions.

Congratulations, by the way, on reaching the end of your first draft! What is your genre?

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Welcome, piper. I am sure you will find WF a supportive community :)! What genre is your novel?
BTW, you can change your avatar on WF. Just let us know if you use experience any issues.

piperofyork

Friends of WF
Welcome, piper. I am sure you will find WF a supportive community :)! What genre is your novel?
BTW, you can change your avatar on WF. Just let us know if you use experience any issues.
Thank you, PiP! My genre is epic fantasy. Michael Ende (The Neverending Story) and Walter Moers (The City of Dreaming Books) are big inspirations. I've been in academia for the last 20 years, so my inspirations are dated, to put it mildly. But on the bright side, I just started reading one of Brandon Sanderson's books as a first step in a thousand mile journey to catch up with the genre...

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Thank you, PiP! My genre is epic fantasy. Michael Ende (The Neverending Story) and Walter Moers (The City of Dreaming Books) are big inspirations. I've been in academia for the last 20 years, so my inspirations are dated, to put it mildly. But on the bright side, I just started reading one of Brandon Sanderson's books as a first step in a thousand mile journey to catch up with the genre...
My wife doesn't read much, but Neverending Story is one of her favorite movies, as is the Princess Bride.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Hi Taylor,

Thanks for reaching out! My genre is epic fantasy. Michael Ende (The Neverending Story) is a big inspiration, as is Walter Moers (The City of Dreaming Books)...also some guy named Tolkien. I'm hoping to spread my genre-wings here in the course of taking part in some of the friendly competitions.

Congratulations, by the way, on reaching the end of your first draft! What is your genre?
Thanks! It's a corporate thriller laced with romance.

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
Welcome @piperofyork, I'm also working on my 1st novel and am currently on my 5th first draft! :D

I've not been a member for very long myself but I have learned so much in that short period of time. This really is a wonderfully friendly & supportive community.

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
Welcome to WF, piper! We have some fantastic people here who are always willing to help each other improve their writing.

piperofyork

Friends of WF
Thank you everyone! I already feel very much at home here. I'm looking forward to engaging, contributing, making mistakes and learning from them, and generally having my mind stretched like good taffy. :)

@Lawless Thank you, and I couldn't agree more - I feel very fortunate
@Mark Twain't Very cool - what genre is your novel?
@Gumby Thank you, and I can tell - not even 24 hours here and WF already feels like a good friend!